Solved How should we write the word "linux"?

Solved issue

CaffeineAddict

Reaction score
Credits
This is a philosophical question and not a computer issue.

I got into habit (by observing other people) to write Windows with capital "W" rather than windows, and there is sane reason for that because "Windows" is a trade mark name (I hope I got that right), anyway in same fashion I'm not sure how should we write linux? is is Linux (with capital L) or linux?

What ever your opinion or habit so far I want to hear argumentative answers, ex. not just personal opinions but also some rationale or historical background.

"GNU/Linux"

historical background

From Wikipedia:

Naming​

Linus Torvalds had wanted to call his invention Freax, a portmanteau of "free", "freak", and "x" (as an allusion to Unix). During the start of his work on the system, he stored the files under the name "Freax" for about half of a year. Torvalds had already considered the name "Linux", but initially dismissed it as too egotistical.[16]

In order to facilitate development, the files were uploaded to the FTP server (ftp.funet.fi) of FUNET in September 1991. Ari Lemmke at Helsinki University of Technology (HUT), who was one of the volunteer administrators for the FTP server at the time, did not think that "Freax" was a good name. So, he named the project "Linux" on the server without consulting Torvalds.[16] Later, however, Torvalds consented to "Linux".

To demonstrate how the word "Linux" should be pronounced ([ˈliːnɵks]), Torvalds included an audio guide (listen) with the kernel source code.[19]

Philosophy (and grammar) questions are probably best asked in Off Topic. Proper names should be capitalized, usually.

Last edited:
the LIN in Linux is taken from the Christian name of its developer Linus Torvalds therefore it is a pronoun and as such should start with a capital L

"GNU/Linux"
Oh please not GNU!

I had good opinion about Richard Stallman but it's going downwards every now and then the more I listed to Linus T. videos.

@atanere
Exactly what I wanted to hear! thank you!

the LIN in Linux is taken from the Christian name of its developer Linus Torvalds therefore it is a pronoun and as such should start with a capital L
There is logic here and so I like it!

Oh please not GNU!

I had good opinion about Richard Stallman but it's going downwards every now and then the more I listed to Linus T. videos.
Without the GNU project many distributions wouldn't exist. As for Richard Stallman, I don't necessarily like the guy be his view on free software is necessary. However I prefer saying "Linux" because that's shorter and every Linux user will know that when you say "Linux" that you are referring to "Linux" plus the rest of the components that make a distribution a full os.

Last edited:
be his view on free software is necessary.
I find his policies both very useful from one side but also very troubling from another side.
Useful to users because we have free and open source software which is awesome for users because we can opt out of corporate bloatware and spyware software.

what's very bad is his software licenses which people blindly adopt, software written with GPL is IMO completely useless to developers and is in fact taking freedom away from them.
GPL gives freedom to users yes, but takes it away from the devs!

There is a ton of useful software that I would like to reuse but can't because the license is enforcing copyleft which is completely incompatible with all of the software I ever wrote so far, that means I need to reinvent the wheel under a license that will actually give me freedom to reuse software.

Even Linus T. said something similar, although his problem is that R. Stallman inserted GPL v3 in a very sneaky way that make Linus face similar problem I'm facing and that's the reason I no longer like FSF.

I prefer saying "Linux" because that's shorter and everyone Linux user will that when you say "Linux" that you are referring to "Linux" plus the rest of the components that make a distribution a full os.
Defiantly with over 1000 distributions, Most of us will just refer to them as generically Linux, although say ,Mint should be described as GNU-Linux Mint we will call it Mint, Linux-Mint [we don't use the GNU bit].

With a capitol L (Linux) as was posted above. But my reason is that my spell check always hit on linux but does not on Linux :)

I appreciate all the replies!
To be honest I was writing linux without capital L but now you guys gave me reasons why not.

I always capitalize it. FWIW, it's always capitalized on its Wikipedia page (when used as a "stand alone" word).

The official documentation, mailing list, and foundation documentation all refer to the spelling as "Linux".

I dare say they get to decide this and that they've clearly decided this.

Oh please not GNU!

Can't be helped - technically Linux is the kernel, and GNU/Linux the OS.

That being said, we know what people mean when they talk about "Linux".

What is wrong is if Devs name their product

blah-blah Linux OS

or just

blah-blah OS

As an aside
Philosophy (and grammar) questions are probably best asked in Off Topic. Proper names should be capitalized, usually.

IMO, it is fine here.

Off Topic has as a byline/description

We understand that you'd want to talk about other stuff in your life besides Linux.. here's the spot!

Cheers

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts