How Long Do HDDs,SSDs and Flash Drives Last.

I've used SSDs for about 5 years. Exclusively Samsungs. Both PCIe/NVME and SATAIII, both M.2 and 2.5" formats.

Never had one fail. Running CrystalDiskInfo, none are below 97%. They will probably outlive me.

The latest-greatest Samsung 990 Pro comes in the 4TB format which has a write rating of 2400TBW. That's 2.4 Petabytes.

I boycott companies that are $M pushers.

Unfortunately that's just about everyone because it's all about money.
1710731966165.gif

I've used SSDs for about 5 years. Exclusively Samsungs. Both PCIe/NVME and SATAIII, both M.2 and 2.5" formats.

Never had one fail. Running CrystalDiskInfo, none are below 97%. They will probably outlive me.

The latest-greatest Samsung 990 Pro comes in the 4TB format which has a write rating of 2400TBW. That's 2.4 Petabytes.

Apart from the Gnome Disk Utility...I can run Terminal commands to check the health of my SSDs which is explained here...
https://www.baeldung.com/linux/ssd-verify-health

Isn't CrystalDiskInfo a windoze only tool ? That's why I use the above.
m1213.gif

Samsung came up with a 8TB SSD:

The advantages are:
Speed
reliable - no moving parts

Disadvantages are:
Cost
Inability to store data long term

The Terabytes Written rating, or should I say Petabytes Written is 2.4. This thing will outlive all of here under normal non-commercial use. And they are making rapid advances.
so you know, 16TB, 32TB is probably coming.

cost is what keeps these from being in the data centers full time. You can get a 8TB HDD for a small fraction of the cost.

I've had commercial 3.5" HDD, like Seagate Cheeta 15500 RPMs, the fastest HDD one can get and had one fail on me. But that's what data centers use and they don't care about failed HDD, they have RAID.

But I am not going to back to HDDs. In private use, they are slow, noisy, consume more power and if you drop your laptop, the HDD is the first thing to fail.
If you picture the floating head, it's like a Bowing 747 flying 1" off the ground, the clearances are nuts. One smoke particle gets in and it's done, or any shock.
It is just a matter of time until data centers start using SSDs when the price becomes manageable, you know like 4K HDTVs.

My gaming laptop has 4 SSDs, and they are all 2TB except for 1 which is 4TB, that's 10TB of storage, there is no way to pack that much storage via HDDs.

Samsung came up with 990 Pro, which 4TB

If I got 2 of these, and swapped the 4TB QVO for a 8TB QVO I would have 18TB of storage and very fast storage at that, (8000Mbs access speed versus 80 Mbs for an HDD, he did not mention how aggravatingly SLOW the HDD is)
If I swapped my bluray disk for a 8TB QVO, that would give it 26TB of storage.

cost is the only thing keeping me from doing it.

Last edited:
Samsung's work well with everything. I've have good luck with the 2280 format, Samsung 950, 960, 970 EVO Plus/Pro and the 2.5" format which is SATAIII, like 850, 860 and 870. There is the oddball 2280 format but SATAIII like Samsung 860.
No issues with Oracle Linux, Redhat, *Ubuntu.

I have a couple 40 megabyte (yes that is correct) drives that will still run, but not like you can put anything on them today. But the life of the drive is just a factor or the people that made it. I have had drives last decades and some last months.
Best practices
1.. use known manufacturers that back up the warranty such as Western Digital, Seagate, Kingston.
2.. Know what you are buying.
3.. beware of brands with similar names... Seagate and samsung are easy to confuse until you see the difference in quality.

when it comes to Western Digital like in the original picture they group by color for quality.

black... top quality drive
blue... High Quality drive
green.. Mid Level quality
red ... passable

My dentist had a sign on the wall.. "You don't have to brush all your teeth, just the ones you want to keep" I use that same idea for data and backups.... "You don't have to back up all your data, just the stuff you don't want to lose".

Stay away from the off name brands. they are cheap for a reason. Had some that didn't make it through warranty and they told me to use the warranty I had to buy new drives then return the old ones to amazon. So company didn't cover anything, they let amazon take the hit for bad quality merchandise.

I use HDDs for backup. Both older 3.5" and laptop 2.5" versions.
Plug them in via USB and clone the primary SSD. If the primary SSD fails, I have a backup SSD, if that fails, I will go to the backup HDD. It should store the data longer without being powered on.

That plus the bluray disks to store something permanent, like family pics.

I use HDDs for backup. Both older 3.5" and laptop 2.5" versions.
Plug them in via USB and clone the primary SSD. If the primary SSD fails, I have a backup SSD, if that fails, I will go to the backup HDD. It should store the data longer without being powered on.

That plus the bluray disks to store something permanent, like family pics.
I would get things off the optical disk. Not only are they being obsoleted due to small storage space, they also deteriorate even if unused. That means what you put on an optical disk may not last long. I would stick to usb drives and SSD but always a backup. or 3

The older DVDs are junk, yes, and so easy to scratch but I mean blurays. They seem much more resilient.

The whole point is to have about 3 different backup options. SSD, HDD and blurays. Something has to work.

Bluray is still the most stable media available with 50+ years lifetime
tough to say a disk has a 50 year life when the technology hasn't been there that long. Never trust the estimate. However I agree with you, more backup means less chance of loss. I have also had DVD and Bluray damaged without even touching them, just a regular household environment was enough to lose the info on them.

I had 3 backups of data and lost it all. Let me say that an off premise backup is also needed otherwise fire or break in can result in loss of all backup. Got to not only prepare for accidents but also intentional damage from others.

Last edited:
Do they still use 'windoze only' Magician ?
I have seen quality issues with samsung products. Won't use them again in a system. I stick to WD, Kingston and seagate and sometimes crucial

Do they still use 'windoze only' Magician ?

They don't have to use them, there is no need for it. If you run Win10, it suggests a driver upgrade but if not, it's a moot point.

I've run RHEL, etc. on Samsung 980 Pro 2TB. It just works.

I've been using Crucial's RAM for years. Touch wood, it's never yet let me down. And that's why I went for a Crucial MX500 SSD when I wanted a new primary drive a couple of years back.

Yah, it's "only" single-level cell technology. But from what I understand, enterprise always prefers these, 'cos they're more reliable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

@bob466 :-

Take a look at HD Sentinel, Bob. It's a neat, easy-to-use GUI method for keeping on top of the most important S.M.A.R.T stats for your drives. It supports HDDs, SSDs, along with the newest NVMe technology.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/

Create a dedicated directory for it, anywhere you like, and just unzip the tarball into it. This makes it portable; just click on the HDSentinelGUI binary, and it'll fire straight up....

As far as SSD 'maintenance' goes, I'm rigorous about T.R.I.Mming the things; I don't have it set-up to auto-run in the background all the time, I prefer to run the thing manually, once a week.....regular as clockwork. I have a cron notification set-up to remind me when it's "time for a T.R.I.M..!"

SSDs don't NEED 'trimming' all the time; once a week is fine. For normal, day-to-day usage, the inbuilt 'garbage collection' routines will keep 'em pretty much crud-free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

@APTI :-

when it comes to Western Digital like in the original picture they group by color for quality.

black... top quality drive
blue... High Quality drive
green.. Mid Level quality
red ... passable

I'll agree about 'black' & 'blue'; had both of those myself. Green.....I always understood these are what they call 'Eco' drives (in other words, they constantly 'power-down' at every opportunity, so are that bit slower at reading data.....'cos they have to spin-up all the time before getting to work).

As for 'Red'; I always understood these are enterprise-quality drives?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@etcetera :-

It is just a matter of time until data centers start using SSDs when the price becomes manageable, you know like 4K HDTVs.

BackBlaze have for years been publishing annual reliabilty reports. They've been trialling SSDs for about 5-6 years so far, and been reporting on them for the last 3 years. They came to the conclusion last year that SSDs have now achieved 'parity' with HDDS in terms of price, reliability and general longevity...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...es-of-13-ssd-models-going-back-up-to-4-years/

They ARE frank about admitting that 4 years worth of data is nowhere NEAR enough to start making accurate, long-term predictions for drive failures & behaviour; for that, they normally like at least 12-15 yrs worth of data to work with.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
It just works.
I know, I know... I own one, It cost me an arm and a leg, and it didn't last. Samsung hate (Linux) trim.
I don't know about that now and I don't bother.
That name is off my purchase list.

What was the model and the size? They make a million. The latest-greatest have impressive TBW warranty.

Staff online

Members online