How do you learn piano?

Reaction score
Credits
Following tutorials where they sing a song seems pretty hard. How do you learn piano? I want to upgrade my social life, damn that's why I want to learn a piano lol.

Learning the piano is a poor way to upgrade your social life, proceed only if music creation interests you, which as you admit is not the reason you want to learn the piano. So go to the gym, become a volunteer, find a job, are some ways to upgrade your social life

Learning the piano is a poor way to upgrade your social life, proceed only if music creation interests you, which as you admit is not the reason you want to learn the piano. So go to the gym, become a volunteer, find a job, are some ways to upgrade your social life
i see. so I want to go to a volunteer.

How do you learn piano?

I took lessons from a professional. (I've taken many lessons for various musical instruments.)

Learning the basics of a musical instrument isn't really all that difficult. Spending the time to master those lessons is much more difficult. Depending on your goals, it takes quite a bit of discipline.

I'm a guitarist, a classical guitarist by training - though I've been paid to play pretty much every genre but classical music. Even today, I wake up early (almost every single day) and put in two hours of diligent and purposeful practice. I don't just go noodle and play songs I know, I diligently learn and practice.

(I'll share some music via PM if you're interested. It's not ego when I say I'm pretty good. If I wasn't good after 50+ years, I should pick something else to spend my time on.)

As @Terminal Velocity mentioned, I too doubt that it will (but it could) improve your social life - unless you join a band that either has fun playing together or a band that actively performs. Otherwise, the opportunities to demonstrate your piano ability are few. There aren't that many pianos in the wild.

There are far easier ways to make yourself interesting.

Also, an interesting stat that I came across some time ago: 90% of everyone who takes piano lessons quit taking lessons within the first year.

The guitar has opened many doors for me and has definitely improved my social life at times. So, it can improve your social life - but you have to make it do so. You can jam with friends, you can perform in a band, or you could even go down to your local jazz club and play for tips on the house piano.

This guy could play...
m01101.gif

guitar seems cool but finger pains a lot in guitar learning, that's why I'm scared of that.

I don't actually recommend learning guitar. Your fingers will be just fine, but the time it takes to get rewarding sounds is just too long. That and you'll never recoup anything for your time. I've played professionally and, when you add in the hours of practice, I'd have made pennies per hour.

That and, well, unless you're really good, nobody wants a 'guitar guy' that brings their guitar everywhere,

I took a class way back when I was a wee lad that was called 'Becoming an Everyday Genius'.

In that class we learned to juggle, some illusions, some card 'tricks', and a bunch of basically party tricks.

Those have served me well at breaking the ice. I'm told that I have a 'commanding presence', meaning that people pay attention to me when I enter the room. I suspect it's just the confidence that I carry, 'cause I'm pretty secure in my accomplishments.

This sort of stuff is great for making new friends. It needn't be seeking intimacy, it's just good for getting enough attention to find out if you have anything in common with others. If you have little in common, you're not going to be a part of their social circle. It starts with a conversation.

I'd suggest harmonica or (tin)whistle, both quite easy to learn, & pocketable/take anywhere instruments.
I also include in the above chromatic & tremolo, not just blues/country diatonic harmonicas.
Also, recorder, fife, & keyless piccolo are so similar to whistle, these could be alternatives.

(I deleted a previous post for my own reasons on my own. Sorry.)

I learned to play piano using a kitchen timer. Mom kept a mechanical kitchen timer on the piano and set it for 30 minutes in the morning before school and another 30 minutes after school. As soon as that timer bell rang - boom - I was outta' there before the next note was due to hit. That lasted many years.

The same kitchen timer was on the piano decades later, when my parents moved to a retirement home.

Those have served me well at breaking the ice. I'm told that I have a 'commanding presence', meaning that people pay attention to me when I enter the room. I suspect it's just the confidence that I carry, 'cause I'm pretty secure in my accomplishments.
I see. I wish I could be you.

I see. I wish I could be you.

You could probably try faking it. You know what they say, "Fake it 'til you make it."

Also, there are times when it's nice to just blend in rather than being given a lot of attention. I bounce between being an extrovert and an introvert, though I'm usually the former. I like interacting with people. I like hearing their stories.

That's something that took time. I had to learn to be an active listener. I think that's a good balance.

In a now-deleted post, I suggested that you identify places where the unattached people you want to meet like to go and do things together, but the people like you with an interest in meeting them do not generally do those activities. In other words, swing the ratio in your favor. Filter out for age appropriateness. (Hint: Avoid "quilting" or "embroidery.") Look at what remains on the list to see if there is something where you can have a genuine interest.

First impressions count. I suggested that you pay attention to personal grooming, which should be obvious. I also suggested that you be a good listener and let them draw you out.

What I Did:
In college, I took non-credit dance classes. True confession: I do not like dancing much, but you could count on a shortage of males in those classes. The women in those classes accepted that they had to dance with each other much of the time, but they did not like it. They took the classes to improve their dancing at clubs and parties ... with men. The only fair solution was that they took turns dancing with the few males in those classes.

(Tying it together: Being the male in a dance class with mostly women is like playing piano in the rhythm section of a jazz combo. When other players get to solo, the piano player plays on quietly in the background to accompany the soloist. I always felt that it is no fun to sit around in silence until your turn to solo appears like the sax players. I bet @KGIII can relate.
-> It is the same when you are the only male in a dance class - you get to provide the accompaniment for each woman dancer for her "solo". Just sayin'.
)

Personal note: I was unhappy with that first post attempt. It felt wrong, so I deleted it without prompting from anyone. Perhaps this summary works better and is not too offensive or wrong. It still depends on gender stereotypes, but I fear it would lose clarity and usefulness to Brief if written in a more neutral manner.

I always felt that it is no fun to sit around in silence until your turn to solo appears like the sax players. I bet @KGIII can relate.

To be fair, I can also enjoy people a people-watcher. There are times when I don't want to be the center of attention, especially when someone else should be in that position. The key is knowing when to do what, I suppose.

Everything from the Marines, to getting my doctorate, to excelling at some skills, all lead to my confidence. I think confidence plays a huge role in this. (Though, I'm not speaking about appealing to others for sexual reasons. I'm just speaking to the original idea of a larger social circle.)

Staff online

Members online