How do I diagnose what causes my OS to "deteriorate" over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

@username

Reaction score
Credits
Hello! I'm new to the Linux community and would like to ask you for general guidelines on diagnosing and then fixing OS problems.
So here is my situation:

I'm running Kubuntu 22.04.2 LTS x86_64 with the 5.15.0-67 kernel on an AMD Radeon RX6800M laptop (this will be important later). I'm a big fan of not turning off the computer (I simply put it to sleep), and I really like the KDE... This combination, on the other hand, causes me some issues: The KDE environment appears to "deteriorate" over time, in that programs begin to suffer from input lag and other program-specific issues (such as FF's inability to play a YouTube video), and eventually the entire system suffers from massive slowdown, effectively turning it into a powerpoint presentation. What's even worse, at this point I'm unable to enter any of the TTYs, and even the caps-lock light does not come on when pressed. The only way to help this fella out is to hard reset him. It takes around 2.5–3 days to get to this state on average. After a reboot, it works perfectly fine.

There is another issue that I think might be connected to this. That GPU I mentioned stops working at some point during a system "fall down"; the OS still "sees" it, but no programs (including glxgears) can run on it. When trying to run a program on this GPU, it either crashes or switches to the integrated GPU; the dedicated one seems to be inactive when checked in the system monitor.

My question is, how should I go about diagnosing these problems? There are so many logs out there that I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, and I'm not sure which ones will actually help me solve this problem.

Thanks!

Sounds like you are having performance issues that are usually solved with updates.
When you get a new kernel with an update it is wise to restart your computer.

What is the exact make and model of your laptop?

How to Troubleshoot Performance Issues on Linux – Beginners Guide​

Linux GPU Monitoring And Diagnostic Commands

Sounds like you are having performance issues that are usually solved with updates.
When you get a new kernel with an update it is wise to restart your computer.

What is the exact make and model of your laptop?

How to Troubleshoot Performance Issues on Linux – Beginners Guide​

Linux GPU Monitoring And Diagnostic Commands

Laptop's a 2022 model of Asus ROG Strix G513QY. I do keep my OS up to date. I've been running it for over two months now, and the performance issues only show after few days. Presumably, had I turn device off after work and switch it on next day I would have never faced any of those issues. It's quite ironic that I've bought a laptop with AMD graphic on purpose to avoid having issues with Nvidia's GPUs and now I'm having GPU issues anyway.

I'm not sure whether it is connected to the issue or is it just a bad design - GPU tends to overheat and then it causes the computer to shutdown immediately. Which is expected but then again, I would not mind a warning so I can save my work (and no, I don't cover laptop's vents, in fact I even bought those cooling stands hoping that it will resolve the issue).

Thank you for the links, I already learned a few things!

Laptop's a 2022 model of Asus ROG Strix G513QY. I do keep my OS up to date. I've been running it for over two months now, and the performance issues only show after few days. Presumably, had I turn device off after work and switch it on next day I would have never faced any of those issues. It's quite ironic that I've bought a laptop with AMD graphic on purpose to avoid having issues with Nvidia's GPUs and now I'm having GPU issues anyway.

I'm not sure whether it is connected to the issue or is it just a bad design - GPU tends to overheat and then it causes the computer to shutdown immediately. Which is expected but then again, I would not mind a warning so I can save my work (and no, I don't cover laptop's vents, in fact I even bought those cooling stands hoping that it will resolve the issue).

Thank you for the links, I already learned a few things!
Overheating isn't good and that could explain why your laptop is slowing down.

You may be able to use the lm-sensors and fancontrol commands to help the situation.

Linux PWM Fan Control Using fancontrol and lm-sensors, and keeping it working after reboot​

Is this your laptop in the link below?

I'm a big fan of not turning off the computer (I simply put it to sleep),
It takes around 2.5–3 days to get to this state on average. After a reboot, it works perfectly fine.
All of this really tells me is this....the laptops ongoing problem is you. Treat it in a normal fashion and as you say "...after a reboot, it works perfectly fine'

Might be time to alter a few habits which are obviously not working in your favour

Overheating isn't good and that could explain why your laptop is slowing down.

You may be able to use the lm-sensors and fancontrol commands to help the situation.

Linux PWM Fan Control Using fancontrol and lm-sensors, and keeping it working after reboot​

Is this your laptop in the link below?
Yes, this is my laptop.

As for the fan control, I think it is working fine and keeping the machine in an acceptable temperature range most of the time, but I'll take a look at it and see if messing around with it will help. The described GPU overheating issues are present only in long (2-hour) sessions of playing a video game...

...Now when I think of that, they are present only when playing Age of Empires IV; this is worth noting since this game is not too demanding in terms of CPU and GPU usage. On the other hand, I had a stress-free experience with Red Dead Redemption 2, famously known for melting GPUs. Interesting. Can this somehow be related to software rather than hardware?

All of this really tells me is this....the laptops ongoing problem is you. Treat it in a normal fashion and as you say "...after a reboot, it works perfectly fine'

Might be time to alter a few habits which are obviously not working in your favour
I'm sorry, but this is terrible advice. Reminds me of security through obscurity. Ignoring an existing problem does not make it disappear. I believe that this is even more important in this case, as the function of sleep is an essential part of the OS and I, as a user, expect it to work. I also expect my OS to be a bit more stable than teenager's relationships. Before I decided to install Linux on my machine, I was running Windows 11, which I despise, but to be fair, that system's sleep functionality and overall stability was (to my surprise) much better.

It's easy to blame Linux for problems created by the user. I have a 12 year old Asus Laptop with only 4GB of Ram...it's running Mint Cinnamon 20.3 a resource hungry Distro with no problems and doesn't overheat...why because when I'm finished I turn it off.
m1213.gif

Kubuntu is a light weight Distro and with your specs you wouldn't have any problems at all but running it for 3 days straight without turning it off...what does that tell you...I'm surprised the battery lasts...mine wouldn't.
m09010.gif

It's easy to blame Linux for problems created by the user. I have a 12 year old Asus Laptop with only 4GB of Ram...it's running Mint Cinnamon 20.3 a resource hungry Distro with no problems and doesn't overheat...why because when I'm finished I turn it off.
m1213.gif

Kubuntu is a light weight Distro and with your specs you wouldn't have any problems at all but running it for 3 days straight without turning it off...what does that tell you...I'm surprised the battery lasts...mine wouldn't.
m09010.gif
Let me put it this way: I can have an uptime of over 2 weeks on Windows on the same hardware, no problem. It's easy to blame the User for the problems created by the linux. As for the battery, it's plugged in all the time, with the battery charging limit set to 60% to reduce battery wear. Now the question is, how can I find out what causes the issue? Maybe it is KDE-specific? If so, how can I test this?

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard arrives in a puff of smoke, trips a over t on an Age of Empires building. Regains his footing and his composure, tries to look imperious and imposing at the assembled throngs, fails miserably in both regards)

I also expect my OS to be a bit more stable than teenager's relationships.

I love that, may I use it?

G'day @@username and welcome to linux.org :)

I could move this Thread to our Linux Gaming subforum, someone there may have a ready answer, if so let me know.

Other than that, I am not a hardware expert, but I can throw a few questions at you, if you would be so kind, that may help others.

1. Are you running dual boot with Windows 11, or is GNU/Linux (Kubuntu) the only OS?
2. Are the specs for your rig similar to here ?
3. Can you run the following for us?

Code:
sudo apt -y install inxi
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width

and copy and paste the output up here. Place the output in Code Tags (such as I have above). Screenshot shows where you can find them.

dHWsUJl.png

You can usually run inxi without sudo, but in this case if you do it will not run dmidecode on the RAM report.

The --filter option ensures your privacy by hiding serial numbers and MAC addresses.

I am thinking that you could try running a couple of other Linux in addition to the Kubuntu and see if they exhibit any of the same problems.

I run 84 Linux on this Dell lappy, but I don't expect you to go to those extremes.

Have a think about it and let me know if you want to move. I am on Queensland time in Australia so expect some gaps with our communication.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Terrible advice?....no....not really....get into some good habits and give your pc a break. When you download and install a fresh kernel (probably via updates) it requires a reboot. Judging by what you have written , you do not do this.

Have a look around the forum looking for members with serious problems and similar habits re not shutting down etc......I am not seeing them...are you ?
I am fully supportive of your " I, as a user, expect it to work".....i think the entire forum would agree there......but there are times when a reboot or shutdown is necessary.

Your experience, once gained, will inform you when that is necessary.

Some of the following may be a bit cliche like.....but it is still pertinent, despite being written on 24/05/06

The above advice about a re-boot after a kernel update is sound. It's about the only thing that Linux really requires a re-boot for.....unlike another OS that shall remain nameless, which seems to want a re-boot after absolutely every operation, regardless of how large (or small) it may be.

I don't understand this business of 'slowing-down', however. I very often leave a given version of Puppy Linux running for weeks at a time, merely suspending overnight.....and after a few weeks of this, it's still as snappy as it was when first fired-up.

It sounds like certain things may be mis-configured, though I won't hazard any guesses since it's many years since I ran ANY mainstream "full" installation. Nothing worse than trying to give advice based on sketchy, out-of-date understanding.....and such actions just waste everybody's time, so I won't inflict that on anyone.

Mike. ;)

Terrible advice?....no....not really....get into some good habits and give your pc a break. When you download and install a fresh kernel (probably via updates) it requires a reboot. Judging by what you have written , you do not do this.

Have a look around the forum looking for members with serious problems and similar habits re not shutting down etc......I am not seeing them...are you ?
I am fully supportive of your " I, as a user, expect it to work".....i think the entire forum would agree there......but there are times when a reboot or shutdown is necessary.

I shut down every night and reboot after a new kernel every time.

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard arrives in a puff of smoke, trips a over t on an Age of Empires building. Regains his footing and his composure, tries to look imperious and imposing at the assembled throngs, fails miserably in both regards)

I love that, may I use it?

G'day @@username and welcome to linux.org :)

I could move this Thread to our Linux Gaming subforum, someone there may have a ready answer, if so let me know.

Other than that, I am not a hardware expert, but I can throw a few questions at you, if you would be so kind, that may help others.

1. Are you running dual boot with Windows 11, or is GNU/Linux (Kubuntu) the only OS?
2. Are the specs for your rig similar to here ?
3. Can you run the following for us?

Code:
sudo apt -y install inxi
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width

and copy and paste the output up here. Place the output in Code Tags (such as I have above). Screenshot shows where you can find them.

dHWsUJl.png

You can usually run inxi without sudo, but in this case if you do it will not run dmidecode on the RAM report.

The --filter option ensures your privacy by hiding serial numbers and MAC addresses.

I am thinking that you could try running a couple of other Linux in addition to the Kubuntu and see if they exhibit any of the same problems.

I run 84 Linux on this Dell lappy, but I don't expect you to go to those extremes.

Have a think about it and let me know if you want to move. I am on Queensland time in Australia so expect some gaps with our communication.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

> I love that, may I use it?
absolutely

1. Currently, I'm running only Linux. I was running Windows 11 before, but it was crap, so I got rid of it.
2. Yes, the only exception being the RAM; I've got 32 gigs here.
3. Here you go:

Bash:
System:
Kernel: 5.15.0-67-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0
parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.15.0-67-generic
root=/dev/mapper/vgkubuntu-root ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.24.7 tk: Qt 5.15.3 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM
Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: ROG Strix G513QY_G513QY v: 1.0
serial: <filter>
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: G513QY v: 1.0 serial: <filter>
UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: G513QY.318 date: 03/29/2022
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 55.1 Wh (62.0%) condition: 88.8/90.0 Wh (98.7%)
volts: 15.9 min: 15.9 model: AS3GWYF3KC GA50358 type: Li-ion
serial: <filter> status: N/A
Memory:
RAM: total: 30.76 GiB used: 16.79 GiB (54.6%)
Array-1: capacity: 32 GiB slots: 2 EC: None max-module-size: 16 GiB
note: est.
Device-1: DIMM 0 size: 16 GiB speed: 3200 MT/s type: DDR4
detail: synchronous unbuffered (unregistered) bus-width: 64 bits
total: 64 bits manufacturer: N/A part-no: LD4AS016G-3200ST
Device-2: DIMM 0 size: 16 GiB speed: 3200 MT/s type: DDR4
detail: synchronous unbuffered (unregistered) bus-width: 64 bits
total: 64 bits manufacturer: N/A part-no: LD4AS016G-3200ST
CPU:
Info: model: AMD Ryzen 9 5980HX with Radeon Graphics socket: FP6 bits: 64
type: MT MCP arch: Zen 3 family: 0x19 (25) model-id: 0x50 (80) stepping: 0
microcode: 0xA50000C
Topology: cpus: 1x cores: 8 tpc: 2 threads: 16 smt: enabled cache:
L1: 512 KiB desc: d-8x32 KiB; i-8x32 KiB L2: 4 MiB desc: 8x512 KiB
L3: 16 MiB desc: 1x16 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 1987 high: 3300 min/max: 1200/5024 boost: enabled
base/boost: 3300/4825 scaling: driver: acpi-cpufreq governor: schedutil
volts: 1.2 V ext-clock: 100 MHz cores: 1: 3300 2: 1200 3: 1200 4: 1200
5: 3300 6: 1200 7: 1200 8: 3300 9: 1200 10: 1200 11: 3300 12: 1200
13: 1200 14: 3300 15: 1200 16: 3300 bogomips: 105400
Flags: 3dnowprefetch abm adx aes aperfmperf apic arat avic avx avx2 bmi1
bmi2 bpext cat_l3 cdp_l3 clflush clflushopt clwb clzero cmov cmp_legacy
constant_tsc cpb cppc cpuid cqm cqm_llc cqm_mbm_local cqm_mbm_total
cqm_occup_llc cr8_legacy cx16 cx8 de decodeassists erms extapic
extd_apicid f16c flushbyasid fma fpu fsgsbase fsrm fxsr fxsr_opt ht
hw_pstate ibpb ibrs ibs invpcid irperf lahf_lm lbrv lm mba mca mce
misalignsse mmx mmxext monitor movbe msr mtrr mwaitx nonstop_tsc nopl npt
nrip_save nx ospke osvw overflow_recov pae pat pausefilter pclmulqdq
pdpe1gb perfctr_core perfctr_llc perfctr_nb pfthreshold pge pku pni popcnt
pse pse36 rapl rdpid rdpru rdrand rdseed rdt_a rdtscp rep_good sep sha_ni
skinit smap smca smep ssbd sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 stibp succor
svm svm_lock syscall tce topoext tsc tsc_scale umip v_spec_ctrl
v_vmsave_vmload vaes vgif vmcb_clean vme vmmcall vpclmulqdq wbnoinvd wdt
xgetbv1 xsave xsavec xsaveerptr xsaveopt xsaves
Vulnerabilities:
Type: itlb_multihit status: Not affected
Type: l1tf status: Not affected
Type: mds status: Not affected
Type: meltdown status: Not affected
Type: mmio_stale_data status: Not affected
Type: retbleed status: Not affected
Type: spec_store_bypass
mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
Type: spectre_v1
mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Retpolines, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW,
STIBP: always-on, RSB filling, PBRSB-eIBRS: Not affected
Type: srbds status: Not affected
Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Navi 22 [Radeon RX 6700/6700 XT / 6800M] vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: amdgpu v: kernel pcie: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 ports:
active: none empty: DP-1 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:73df class-ID: 0380
Device-2: AMD Cezanne vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu v: kernel pcie:
gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s ports:
active: HDMI-A-1,eDP-1 empty: none bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:1638
class-ID: 0300
Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: X:
loaded: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa gpu: amdgpu
display-ID: :0 screens: 1
Screen-1: 0 s-res: 6000x1440 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 1587x381mm (62.5x15.0")
s-diag: 1632mm (64.3")
Monitor-1: HDMI-A-0 mapped: HDMI-A-1 pos: primary,left model: Mi Monitor
serial: <filter> built: 2021 res: 3440x1440 dpi: 110 gamma: 1.2
size: 797x334mm (31.4x13.1") diag: 864mm (34") modes: max: 3440x1440
min: 720x400
Monitor-2: eDP pos: primary,right res: 2560x1440 hz: 165 dpi: 189
size: 344x193mm (13.5x7.6") diag: 394mm (15.5")
OpenGL: renderer: RENOIR (renoir LLVM 15.0.6 DRM 3.42 5.15.0-67-generic)
v: 4.6 Mesa 22.2.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: AMD Navi 21 HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT]
vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s
lanes: 16 bus-ID: 03:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:ab28 class-ID: 0403
Device-2: AMD Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16
link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 08:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:1637
class-ID: 0403
Device-3: AMD Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor
vendor: ASUSTeK driver: N/A
alternate: snd_pci_acp3x, snd_rn_pci_acp3x, snd_pci_acp5x, snd_pci_acp6x
pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s
bus-ID: 08:00.5 chip-ID: 1022:15e2 class-ID: 0480
Device-4: AMD Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 link-max: gen: 4
speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 08:00.6 chip-ID: 1022:15e3 class-ID: 0403
Device-5: DCMT USB Condenser Microphone type: USB
driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus-ID: 3-2:3 chip-ID: 31b2:0011
class-ID: 0300 serial: <filter>
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-67-generic running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s
lanes: 1 port: f000 bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
IP v4: <filter> type: dynamic noprefixroute scope: global
broadcast: <filter>
IP v6: <filter> type: temporary dynamic scope: global
IP v6: <filter> type: dynamic mngtmpaddr noprefixroute scope: global
IP v6: <filter> type: noprefixroute scope: link
Device-2: MEDIATEK MT7921 802.11ax PCI Express Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: AzureWave driver: mt7921e v: kernel pcie: gen: 2 speed: 5 GT/s
lanes: 1 bus-ID: 05:00.0 chip-ID: 14c3:7961 class-ID: 0280
IF: wlp5s0 state: down mac: <filter>
WAN IP: <filter>
Bluetooth:
Device-1: IMC Networks Wireless_Device type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8
bus-ID: 3-4:4 chip-ID: 13d3:3563 class-ID: e001 serial: <filter>
Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: up address: <filter> bt-v: 3.0
lmp-v: 5.2 sub-v: 2202 hci-v: 5.2 rev: 915
Info: acl-mtu: 1021:6 sco-mtu: 240:8 link-policy: rswitch sniff
link-mode: peripheral accept
service-classes: rendering, capturing, object transfer, audio, telephony
Logical:
Device-1: VG: vgkubuntu type: LVM2 size: 951.68 GiB free: 20.36 GiB
LV-1: root maj-min: 253:1 type: linear dm: dm-1 size: 929.41 GiB
Components:
c-1: dm-0 maj-min: 253:0 mapped: nvme0n1p3_crypt size: 951.68 GiB
pp-1: nvme0n1p3 maj-min: 259:5 size: 951.7 GiB
LV-2: swap_1 maj-min: 253:2 type: linear dm: dm-2 size: 1.91 GiB
Components:
c-1: dm-0 maj-min: 253:0 mapped: nvme0n1p3_crypt size: 951.68 GiB
pp-1: nvme0n1p3 maj-min: 259:5 size: 951.7 GiB
Device-2: nvme0n1p3_crypt maj-min: 253:0 type: LUKS dm: dm-0
size: 951.68 GiB
Components:
p-1: nvme0n1p3 maj-min: 259:5 size: 951.7 GiB
RAID:
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 1.4 TiB lvm-free: 20.36 GiB used: 712.96 GiB (49.8%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 maj-min: 259:2 vendor: Lexar model: SSD NM620 1TB
size: 953.87 GiB block-size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 31.6 Gb/s
lanes: 4 type: SSD serial: <filter> rev: V1.19.B3 temp: 32.9 C scheme: GPT
SMART: yes health: PASSED on: 200d 18h cycles: 9,214
read-units: 8,790,151 [4.50 TB] written-units: 8,589,950 [4.39 TB]
ID-2: /dev/nvme1n1 maj-min: 259:0 vendor: Intel model: SSDPEKNU512GZ
size: 476.94 GiB block-size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 31.6 Gb/s
lanes: 4 type: SSD serial: <filter> rev: 002C temp: 29.9 C scheme: GPT
SMART: yes health: PASSED on: 103d 4h cycles: 9,223
read-units: 3,715,577 [1.90 TB] written-units: 13,810,933 [7.07 TB]
Partition:
ID-1: / raw-size: 929.41 GiB size: 913.75 GiB (98.31%)
used: 664.87 GiB (72.8%) fs: ext4 block-size: 4096 B dev: /dev/dm-1
maj-min: 253:1 mapped: vgkubuntu-root label: N/A uuid: N/A
ID-2: /boot raw-size: 1.67 GiB size: 1.61 GiB (96.26%)
used: 262.5 MiB (16.0%) fs: ext4 block-size: 4096 B dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
maj-min: 259:4 label: N/A uuid: ede24fe2-9698-48f7-86eb-08a7021a9ece
ID-3: /boot/efi raw-size: 512 MiB size: 511 MiB (99.80%)
used: 6.1 MiB (1.2%) fs: vfat block-size: 512 B dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
maj-min: 259:3 label: N/A uuid: 6ACC-DDC1
ID-4: /media/v/d2 raw-size: 476.94 GiB size: 468.39 GiB (98.21%)
used: 45.92 GiB (9.8%) fs: ext4 block-size: 4096 B dev: /dev/nvme1n1p1
maj-min: 259:1 label: d2 uuid: f068db56-14bd-4dd8-aa2d-d31041b38e8b
Swap:
Kernel: swappiness: 60 (default) cache-pressure: 100 (default)
ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 1.91 GiB used: 1.91 GiB (100.0%)
priority: -2 dev: /dev/dm-2 maj-min: 253:2 mapped: vgkubuntu-swap_1
label: N/A uuid: 395f3c02-11e0-4f52-9951-56eea2094977
Unmounted:
USB:
Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Hi-speed hub with single TT ports: 4 rev: 2.0
speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
Device-1: 1-2:2 info: Logitech USB Receiver type: Keyboard,Mouse,HID
driver: hid-generic,usbhid interfaces: 3 rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s power: 98mA
chip-ID: 046d:c548 class-ID: 0300
Device-2: 1-3:3 info: ASUSTek N-KEY Device type: Keyboard
driver: asus,usbhid interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s power: 100mA
chip-ID: 0b05:1866 class-ID: 0301
Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Super-speed hub ports: 2 rev: 3.1 speed: 10 Gb/s
chip-ID: 1d6b:0003 class-ID: 0900
Hub-3: 3-0:1 info: Hi-speed hub with single TT ports: 4 rev: 2.0
speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
Hub-4: 3-1:2 info: VIA Labs USB2.0 Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.1 speed: 480 Mb/s
chip-ID: 2109:2822 class-ID: 0900
Device-1: 3-1.4:5 info: Logitech Logitech Mechanical keyboard
type: Keyboard,HID driver: hid-generic,usbhid interfaces: 3 rev: 2.0
speed: 12 Mb/s power: 250mA chip-ID: 046d:c341 class-ID: 0300
Device-2: 3-2:3 info: DCMT USB Condenser Microphone type: Audio,HID
driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid interfaces: 3 rev: 1.1
speed: 12 Mb/s power: 100mA chip-ID: 31b2:0011 class-ID: 0300
Device-3: 3-4:4 info: IMC Networks Wireless_Device type: Bluetooth
driver: btusb interfaces: 3 rev: 2.1 speed: 480 Mb/s power: 100mA
chip-ID: 13d3:3563 class-ID: e001 serial: <filter>
Hub-5: 4-0:1 info: Super-speed hub ports: 2 rev: 3.1 speed: 10 Gb/s
chip-ID: 1d6b:0003 class-ID: 0900
Hub-6: 4-1:2 info: VIA Labs USB3.1 Hub ports: 4 rev: 3.2 speed: 5 Gb/s
chip-ID: 2109:0822 class-ID: 0900
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 67.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 3000
GPU: device: amdgpu temp: 51.0 C mem: 48.0 C fan: 0 watts: 8.00
device: amdgpu temp: 54.0 C
Info:
Processes: 466 Uptime: 1d 2h 12m wakeups: 14 Init: systemd v: 249
runlevel: 5 tool: systemctl Compilers: gcc: 11.3.0 alt: 11
clang: 14.0.0-1ubuntu1 Packages: 3049 apt: 2997 lib: 1662 flatpak: 33
snap: 19 Shell: Sudo (sudo) v: 1.9.9 default: Bash v: 5.1.16
running-in: konsole inxi: 3.3.13

As for the other Linux distros, I've tried Pop! OS, but it was on a different machine, and now I can't really switch since the current machine is my daily driver. I'm not sure if moving the thread into the gaming subforum is a good idea since the games are just a catalyst, if you will. Whether I game or not, my PC dies. On the other hand, as long as I solve the issue, I don't really care.

OK, understood, and thanks for the details.

I'll just swing over to my Kubuntu 'Jammy' and take a comparison.

Wiz

I shut down every night and reboot after a new kernel every time.

Look, there is a difference between turning a desktop PC into a server, refusing it its constitutional right to reboot from time to time, AND running it for a week or two and happily rebooting it when it asks for it. And that's what I do! I don't mind rebooting my PC after a critical update.

What I do mind, however, is false advertising! I see a button for sleeping, I click that button, and I expect PC to peacefully go to sleep, and - pay attention, this is a crucial part - I expect it to work after waking up. Amazing, right?

1679799815782.png

And it does not really matter whether it is a Windows or Linux machine. Like, imagine having a car that electrocutes you every time you roll down the window, and then imagine going to the repair shop, telling the guy there that there's a problem with a window, and he tells ya "welp, don't do it then". WTF, it's completely ridiculous.

OK, everybody step back a little, we do not need a pistols at 20 paces showdown.

Some of our Helpers can be a bit full on, but if you stick around you may find we are a friendly and knowledgeable crowd.

OK everybody?

Wiz

I'll be back with more input on the inxi data.

Peace, everybody :) (Yeah, I am an old Hippy)

Hello! I'm new to the Linux community and would like to ask you for general guidelines on diagnosing and then fixing OS problems.
So here is my situation:

I'm running Kubuntu 22.04.2 LTS x86_64 with the 5.15.0-67 kernel on an AMD Radeon RX6800M laptop (this will be important later). I'm a big fan of not turning off the computer (I simply put it to sleep), and I really like the KDE... This combination, on the other hand, causes me some issues: The KDE environment appears to "deteriorate" over time, in that programs begin to suffer from input lag and other program-specific issues (such as FF's inability to play a YouTube video), and eventually the entire system suffers from massive slowdown, effectively turning it into a powerpoint presentation. What's even worse, at this point I'm unable to enter any of the TTYs, and even the caps-lock light does not come on when pressed. The only way to help this fella out is to hard reset him. It takes around 2.5–3 days to get to this state on average. After a reboot, it works perfectly fine.

There is another issue that I think might be connected to this. That GPU I mentioned stops working at some point during a system "fall down"; the OS still "sees" it, but no programs (including glxgears) can run on it. When trying to run a program on this GPU, it either crashes or switches to the integrated GPU; the dedicated one seems to be inactive when checked in the system monitor.

My question is, how should I go about diagnosing these problems? There are so many logs out there that I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, and I'm not sure which ones will actually help me solve this problem.

Thanks!
A few thoughts. The "massive slowdown" is not normal linux functioning, so there is a problem. Some linux systems run for days, months and even years without reboot and without this problem.

If you suspect it is KDE as you mention, then that is quite straight forward to test. You can install a lighter desktop environment, or just a window manager and carry out the very activities that you do on your machine and see if it exhibits the same behaviour or not. One means of doing this is run just a window manager like openbox, fluxbox, icewm or any of a dozen others since they can all allow you to run whatever you like. There's a learning curve for each one, but in my view it's worth the trouble for helping on this issue. It means that you would need to not run KDE which is easily done by booting to a text prompt and starting X and the window manager from there by-passing the normal KDE GUI start up.

Another thought is to inspect the logs and record over time what is happening. Firstly I guess I'd run something like:
Code:
journalctl -b -x -p 3
where -b means "this boot" -x means "explanation of errors" and -p means the priority of message where 3 means "error". This same command can be run for any of the previous boots by adjusting the -b option, where 1 is the first boot in the journal, 2 the second etc, but the boot before the current one is -1, and the boot before that is -2. See the manpage for details but working back from the current boot makes sense since the journal may have numerous boot records still depending on how it's been configured.

Another check is to see if any firmware or microcode is missing:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i microcode
dmesg | grep -i firmware
and if any is missing, install it. Absence of these things can increase the loads on various parts of the machine like the CPU and the GPU.

Just brainstorming for now, and I like Osprey's input (not unusual).

Bottom part of my inxi output for that command is as follows, this on Kubuntu Jammy

Code:
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0 C pch: 45.5 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu
    temp: 50.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 307 Uptime: 25m wakeups: 2 Init: systemd v: 249 runlevel: 5
  tool: systemctl Compilers: gcc: N/A Packages: 2182 apt: 2173 lib: 1165
  snap: 9 Shell: Sudo (sudo) v: 1.9.9 default: Bash v: 5.1.16
  running-in: konsole inxi: 3.3.13

Yours is a little hotter than mine, and that is to be expected, perhaps with longer uptime (my rig has only been on for 4.5 hours today so far).

BUT (and Wizard's but usually travels not far behind him), I am interested in the Swap comparison.

I'll come back with a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online