As I've already admitted, I am a distrohopper

wendy-lebaron

Reaction score
Credits
NOTE: Read this notice before posting to react to it! Better not post and avoid if you don't like it, if you're not a moderator, period. This is just for fun, and I'm revealing a bit of my life. I'm not a troll nor spammer, I'm not here to cause flamewars, not here to take things that come from the rear, even if they could be spoken, or any of that. I could be friendly, but not with people who want to argue what is better while I don't care. This is yet another unnecessary list, just for fun.

List of distros on hand:

ArcoLinux (9)
Bunsen Labs Beryllium
Clonezilla (18)
Debian XFCE "Bookworm" (1)
Debian XFCE "Bullseye" v11.7
EndeavourOS MATE/GNOME/KDE/LXQt
Fedora v36 MATE (7)
Freespire LTS v20.04 (7)
KolibriOS (not Linux but still LOL)
Kubuntu LTS v22.04.2
Manjaro KDE (6) / XFCE
NeptuneOS "Faye" or "Ada" (7)
Pardus
Porteus Cinnamon
PorteuX MATE
Q4OS "Gemini"
Slackel v7.6 OpenBox (3)
Slackware v15 KDE 32-bit
Spiral KDE/GNOME (4)
Zephix

past list:

ALT Linux MATE
Archbang (5)
Devuan MATE / Gnuinos
easyOS
Fatdog64
Fedora 36 XFCE (19)
MX Linux "Respin" (8)
Solus MATE
EndeavourOS XFCE (2)
Gecko Linux GNOME/KDE/XFCE
Knoppix (20)
Manjaro Cinnamon
NomadBSD (14)
Nutyx KDE (12)
Redcore (11)
ROSA (13)
Salix
Sparky Linux MATE ("Bookworm") / KDE ("Bullseye")
Spiral Budgie/LXQt (10)
Ubuntu Studio LTS v22.04
Void Linux XFCE

didn't try to install and never investigated:

Arch (21)
Big Linux (17)
Bluestar
Calculate (desired long ridiculous password besides entire disk at least 64GB)
elementary OS
Emmabuntus
EndeavourOS Budgie/i3
4M Linux
Garuda MATE (can never do 460 on my computer LOL)
Loc OS (LOL like this guy's sense of humor)
Peropesis
Puppy Linux (based on Slackware, before the Dec-2022 release)
RebornOS GNOME
Rocky Linux (8GB ISO!)
Slackware "Liveslak DAW"
Ubuntu Unity
ZorinOS (I'll never try this LOL especially now they might force Snaps)

bombed:

Archcraft
CachyOS
Crunchbang++
Fedora 38 MATE
GParted (the distro)
LegacyOS (newer one)
Mabox (17)
Mageia v8 / v9 "Cauldron" Alpha
Manjaro GNOME/i3
NixOS
OpenMandriva "ROME"
PCLinuxOS MATE/XFCE (16)
Pop! OS
RebornOS KDE/Trinity/XFCE
siduction (15)
Spiral Cinnamon (16)
Triskel (Trisquel with KDE)
Xubuntu
wattOS

(1) this was from a weekly ISO from Dec-2022 not "DI-Alpha" nor release-candidate or any of that trash that couldn't install successfully while I desperately tried to get KDE out of it. Not using it much, I dislike "new" XFCE now because it's irritating.
(2) while "Cassini" became effective for two weeks or so, I "went back in time" to get the last "Artemis" ISO. Lost it last week in an update, it was the last time I had something that started blinding fast compared to other gluttons I have now.
(3) Many thanks to "djemos" for his valuable assistance, because of it I didn't give up although I tried installing five times at least, and once I had to try again because it didn't do the full-system update correctly. I wish I could put full "multilib" with Wine on this thing.
(4) I have three different installations of Spiral KDE version, one shares daily driver status with EndeavourOS MATE. Another is on a computer I'm not using very much anymore. THANK YOU "GeckoLinux" for this and for Gecko Linux, without Spiral I would have remained lost about Debian and miserable because I'm still needing some Windows software.
(5) This was a darned good and small one but was forced to move on from it, maybe because I had to install Pulse Audio to do something about the poor sound while into a music-creation application. The app had an equalizer which alleviated the problem for the most part but it also affected the exported WAV file of the song project. :/
(6) Manjaro gets so much hate, but the OS itself embraced me. Solus should have been my very first with KDE Plasma, instead it was Manjaro. IMHO Manjaro is best with KDE, even named my log-in account after X-23 this year LOL. Had to reinstall it six times in total, once thanks to buggy and ponderous Clonezilla, the last time it was because it had a funny issue with the ESP (16-bit FAT instead of "fat32") and I only wanted to get up to speed with v22.0 "Sikaris". Tried GNOME but was intolerably slow, tried "i3" but it blotched while doing full-system update and didn't let me back in. Before EndeavourOS MATE I had Manjaro MATE for six months, reliable but slow (but that was the HDD).
(7) Will not update, this is on purpose.
(8) I found the ISO on Sourceforge by a Japanese engineer. Took it off because it set the system time how it felt like without leaving me any control of it and XFCE date-time plug-in was really retarded about it. Nice desktop, picking the XFCE v4.18 despite based on "Bullseye" but "I want predictable results" over "nice desktop".
(9) This was restored from backup two months back, eventually I decided it was better to reinstall it. They recently put out an ISO but dislike how bloated they are and how confusingly they present information so the user "needs" to go into one of those sites, have to fumble getting a phone only to create an account with one of those sites. Thank you "linux-dot-org" for not forcing me to do that... I understand the security concerns though. Great distro but with too many programs I would never use (such as "Desktop Thrasher"), don't like their KDE which ignores theme settings, and now my installation with XFCE has over 430 thousand files! To compare, Bunsen Labs Beryllium in my presence struggled to reach 200 thousand. Only because I had installed Wine, Archbang hit 90 thousand, should have been less.
(10) LXQt was easily the weakest of the Spiral rolls. Also used to have Debian LXDE but erased it, was never comfortable with it. Spiral is the only OS I ever tried with Budgie because Ubuntu Budgie was one of the worst things I had to try in my life. Spiral is also one that eased my dislike for GNOME while I became less favored with LXQt and XFCE.
(11) Could never get something based on Gentoo because I'm too lazy to learn. Sisyphus program was frustrating to use, crashed when I tried to install neofetch and only that, after installing the OS successfully from "Sirius" ISO. This requires a faster Internet connection than I could purchase. Sorry don't believe in using any Linux "only" with Flatpaks, tried to do that with Nutyx but got really mad with Bottles, memory-hogging incapable.
(12) Liked this one but it's also not for slow Internet connections and for people who don't like editing certain system configuration files. That said, it's ridiculously easy to install.
(13) Really wanted to like this one but it was too weird (GNOME session to log in, for half-broken KDE), and was very slow updating with dnf at terminal. It was the only way to update because the GUI program provided was awful and unfriendly like FL-Cards on Nutyx and Sisyphus on Redcore. Installed Wine but had problems with sound because there must have been too many services loaded into memory consuming CPU.
(14) This is the only Linux "cousin" I was willing to try, was successful only on the second try after waiting for six months before they put out an ISO last November. It's OK but somewhat CPU intensive, my computer was running hotter with it, with the same OpenBox as Slackel for example. I should have gone further with it.
(15) This sucked so very hard I resolved to keep away from Debian "unstable". It was the release before "Masters of War".
(16) This with MATE, and Linux Mint were fugly to me, and XFCE version refused to register my changing the desktop keystroke shortcuts. I need to change those shortcuts for a favorite application that makes heavy use of the [CONTROL] key. Spiral Cinnamon blundered with this too which was a shame, the [CONTROL] key was totally dead with that one for some reason.
(17) Why try anything based on Manjaro? Mabox was too bloated to tolerate the pretty look. Because Big Linux insisted on "btrfs" as much as Fedora and Garuda do, I declined.
(18) With Debian Linux kernel v5.10.21. This bombed one assignment I gave it, refused to restore to a smaller destination disk. Otherwise this is too slow to tolerate with restoration, and does unnecessary ESP housekeeping, wish I could turn it off.
(19) Became mad they delayed v37 by a month, and later it kept bombing to install the mess of a bootloader it has because it's hard-coded to accept only "btrfs" not "ext4" as main partition. I cannot have terabytes of memory to accept what they like and otherwise I must make the choices they must commit, or else. Dislike Anaconda installer and anything else that suddenly stops with "stack traceback", happened to me with archinstall script too. Generally I dislike all RPM-based distros because Fedora, of all of them having many mutated pretentious members, decided to fail me this year.
(20) This distro I think is special. Had to abandon it because it worked somewhat slowly on the disk I had loaded it on. I built a program on it but to my dismay the system did it in 32-bit even though existed 64-bit g++, libraries and other stuff, it was useless. I made the dumb mistake of trying to update it for over 1500 packages and it failed the fifth or sixth time trying to update "initramfs", just like Sparky Linux based on "Bullseye".
(21) Tried twice, with the second time I bombed by not writing correctly the pacstrap line to load the "base" packages. There's no need thanks to the Low Countries and Archbang!

The title makes it sound like all distro hoppers are are addicts following the 12 step program. I haven't tried as many distributions as some people here have. I only tried a few of the most well-known ones aka (grand) parent distributions and a few of the ones that came forth from them. After that I mostly found my way but in the beginning I did distro hop quite regularly. I think most new to Linux users do that and eventually settle for one(or two) that suites them best. One of the (grand) parent distributions that I hadn't tried yet is Arch and I ran it for a few years and since about a year or so I'm back on Fedora.

Last edited:
When reading this, it feels as though I'm slogging through a log or a scientific paper >_<

Despite that list, I am sort of... stuck. LOL.

It's because I discovered some darned good OS's along the way, but according to my expectations and limitations. It's possible that I rejected a couple of good ones which have their strong points.

Toward the end of last year, beginning with Thanksgiving week it was really bad, needed to find a cure because I downloaded at least ten ISO's to check out stuff. But it has begun to thin out seriously this year. As I've said, it's because the good choices fell into place, and I was getting tired of the ceremony of formatting a disk and being met with "it's not good enough!" and then being forced to allow Calamares to partition the disk wherever possible. I wanted a bit more control over that like I had last year. :)

Note: For better or worse, there's a light theme and a dark theme. So, be careful when using alternative font colors, as some colors can make it hard to read. The forum doesn't adjust for this and will show the text in the color you dictated, regardless of the chosen theme.

This particular thread doesn't have any colors hard to read (and I'm partially colorblind). So, this isn't about this thread - but about a trait I've noticed in OP's posting habits. (I'm assuming those colors are fine in the light mode theme. They look like they should be.)

So, this is just an informational note. It's not specific to this thread. It is something you might want to be aware of.

There are other text formats that you can use that will show up regardless of the user's theme, like bold and italics, quote and code, or things like font size and underlining.

Another note: Your posts lead me to think you've had some unfortunate experiences with moderators on other forums, and 'fitting in' at some forums. Well, relax. You're in good shape here. I view my job as moderator as that of being a lowly janitor. You actually have to work at it to get banned. Unless it's particularly egregious, you'll have ample warning before being banned.

I've banned very few people, especially when compared to other forums. You need to actually put thought and effort into making me ban you - and the rest of the crew think mostly similarly. There are obvious infractions that will merit an immediate ban, but those are mostly covered in the unspoken "don't be a jerk" rule.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Thank you for the kind words and assurance.

Being a forum member is not easy if one wants to be nice and tries to obey all the rules all the time. I admit, I dislike social-networking how young people prefer today. Being next to a 20-year old will bewilder me, if he/she isn't withdrawn.

I have had problems in only one forum before but it's because I got a bit fancy. It was about a moderator who created a topic about Linux desktop screenshots because it didn't look like there was no "official" one. He had posted a picture which came from a copyrighted animated film, maybe recent and beyond PG-13 and I pointed out that maybe (for his protection) he should have provided the bare link for it instead of the thumbnail arrangement. However, the bare link almost included a nasty word. (Maybe the random generator failed that day.) He got angry about it after he removed the link completely such that he began indicating me four or five times in the same thread with my username. Then after I said I wanted to pass it as a joke and was willing to laugh with him, he screamed at me that I was off-topic and he was going to erase any more of my posts on that thread. He totally ignored I made a contribution to that topic along the lines of the topic. (I made my own picture on GIMP of how I imagined Laura Kinney a.k.a. X-23, wasn't real imaginative with the background LOL. This was for a certain Slackware-based distribution.) Then I let him have it. I said I was going to post there for the last time, and told him to remove that post if it would make him feel better. Then I asked the other moderators there -- a shame to have to say goodby to all serious gentlemen there also like in this place -- to delete my account.

I'm sorry if it sounded there that I'm a jerk and I was, I'll admit it. But once a mod says he/she will delete my posts because he/she doesn't like what is happening, while it's not serious, then I will be the one breaking cold.

Sorry for the off-topic lengthy rant here. But I wanted to show the Wizard in particular that I am hopeless also wanting to keep a lot of children in the electronic land. Because before springtime-2022 I couldn't do such a thing. I didn't have Internet access and didn't even know if there existed an Arch Linux and many, many other things I know now. In fact, I had seriously thought Windows10 was the absolute last offering by M$ and they were going subscription or something else. I had no idea how "important" Windows Update would have become in my experience before I decided to pay less attention to it in favor of Linux.

Yeah, I'm way too lazy/apathetic for any games like that.

I decided to pay less attention to it in favor of Linux.

I was fortunate enough to be able to make that decision in 2007. This had the added benefit of meaning I was no longer everyone's tech support.

Of course, now I'm pretty much doing tech support online and for Linux. More so, I've given up a lot of my time for Linux. I don't mind. If I did, I suppose I wouldn't do it. I also get a bit of respite (in some areas) between Lubuntu releases.

The OP seems to miss there are families of distros. There are Debian types, Redhat types and non-aligned types. It's mostly down to the method of packaging/installing apps.

There are interesting videos on YouTube. I can't find the one I am looking for, but search "Linux Distros don't matter". O.K. they are a bit tongue -in-cheek, but there is some truth.

Debian and its derivations can be seen as three types:
Debian itself
Customized Debian
Customized ++ Debian

Debian itself has many different Desktop Environments and Windows Managers

Customized Debian is just changed Debian, without any Repository of its own. For example, there are WattOS and Spiral.

Customized++ started as Debian but have their own dedicated Repository/ies. This could include Ubuntu and Kali Linux.

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu are all the same under the hood, except they have different Desktop Environments. If you can install one, you can change it to another.

Instead of jumping from one distro to another, because they are "different", it can be useful to stick with one or two distros and make them "different".

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu are all the same under the hood, except they have different Desktop Environments.

Slight nitpick... While they do have different DE's they also have different default software and (sometimes) different settings. They don't even all use the same installer.

So, with Ubuntu, you can install not just any other of the desktops environments, you can install the DE's and default software of a specific flavor. Like, you could install "LXQt" or you could install 'lubuntu-desktop'.

That's why there are various (mostly) independent teams that make the flavors. It's different than a Fedora spin that's just a DE with the same software.

Thank you for the kind words and assurance.

Being a forum member is not easy if one wants to be nice and tries to obey all the rules all the time. I admit, I dislike social-networking how young people prefer today. Being next to a 20-year old will bewilder me, if he/she isn't withdrawn.

I have had problems in only one forum before but it's because I got a bit fancy. It was about a moderator who created a topic about Linux desktop screenshots because it didn't look like there was no "official" one. He had posted a picture which came from a copyrighted animated film, maybe recent and beyond PG-13 and I pointed out that maybe (for his protection) he should have provided the bare link for it instead of the thumbnail arrangement. However, the bare link almost included a nasty word. (Maybe the random generator failed that day.) He got angry about it after he removed the link completely such that he began indicating me four or five times in the same thread with my username. Then after I said I wanted to pass it as a joke and was willing to laugh with him, he screamed at me that I was off-topic and he was going to erase any more of my posts on that thread. He totally ignored I made a contribution to that topic along the lines of the topic. (I made my own picture on GIMP of how I imagined Laura Kinney a.k.a. X-23, wasn't real imaginative with the background LOL. This was for a certain Slackware-based distribution.) Then I let him have it. I said I was going to post there for the last time, and told him to remove that post if it would make him feel better. Then I asked the other moderators there -- a shame to have to say goodby to all serious gentlemen there also like in this place -- to delete my account.

I'm sorry if it sounded there that I'm a jerk and I was, I'll admit it. But once a mod says he/she will delete my posts because he/she doesn't like what is happening, while it's not serious, then I will be the one breaking cold.

Sorry for the off-topic lengthy rant here. But I wanted to show the Wizard in particular that I am hopeless also wanting to keep a lot of children in the electronic land. Because before springtime-2022 I couldn't do such a thing. I didn't have Internet access and didn't even know if there existed an Arch Linux and many, many other things I know now. In fact, I had seriously thought Windows10 was the absolute last offering by M$ and they were going subscription or something else. I had no idea how "important" Windows Update would have become in my experience before I decided to pay less attention to it in favor of Linux.
Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts with us. It's completely understandable that participating in a forum and trying to adhere to all the rules can be challenging at times. Everyone has different communication styles, and conflicts can arise from misunderstandings or differences in opinion.
It's clear that you had a difficult experience with that particular moderator, but it's important to remember that not all forum interactions will be negative. It's great to see that you're willing to engage in discussions and share your knowledge with others. Sometimes, it's best to agree to disagree and move on from a situation that isn't productive.
As for your journey with Linux, it's fascinating to see how much you've learned and how your perspective has changed over time. With the rapid evolution of technology, it can be challenging to keep up with all the developments, but it's impressive how you've managed to adapt and grow in your understanding of different operating systems.
Please don't feel discouraged by any past negative experiences. Forums like these are meant for sharing ideas, learning from one another, and fostering a sense of community. It's important to be open to different viewpoints and learn from our experiences, both good and bad.
No need to apologize for the off-topic rant; sometimes, it's helpful to share our personal experiences so that others can understand where we're coming from. Keep participating in discussions and sharing your knowledge, and remember that everyone has something valuable to contribute.

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu are all the same under the hood, except they have different Desktop Environments. If you can install one, you can change it to another.
Sometimes, however, these flavors could behave as if each one had a different team of developers. It could go beyond the developers of the desktop environments. One could tell with the announcements sometimes when a new release comes out, for example "Ubuntu" (with GNOME) from Ubuntu MATE, and IINM Lubuntu was the last one to call in about "Lunar Lobster" on Distrowatch. I checked out Ubuntu Unity soon after release late last year. I thought it was OK but didn't install it because it was buggy. (Good job by Rudra with it and with BlendOS.) Xubuntu v22.10 installed successfully for me, it appeared, but put me on the user/password loop, the first time any Ubuntu variation did that to me. That's where I decided I would only use LTS's. Indeed, Kubuntu LTS v22.04 has been very good, although it looks like a cut-down version of Ubuntu Studio which was a half-disappointment, half of not really having the equipment to enjoy it.

The last time I tried an Ubuntu flavor was the Cinnamon edition released just before "Lobster". It looked good, like on Manjaro but it was a bit too much for my 11-year-old HP laptop. It blocked me from using "apt" in the terminal which made me angry and therefore took it off. Wasn't going to care about the Snaps if only I could find a way for it to get out of my way.

Then there's the situation of "just like" Debian, such as Devuan and Spiral Linux. Any of them feels like ordinary Debian but with slight modifications to operation and to the user experience. Devuan go without "systemd", and Spiral does other things like provide a newer kernel than Debian "stable". Otherwise they behave just like Debian for the most part.

I have leaned too much toward Arch and Debian/Ubuntu families due to my expectations, because I cannot completely give up Windows. I mean, I could stop today using that OS but not some of the applications. Therefore I require Wine and full "multilib". I have been more tolerant than last year with Slackware, and easyOS if it weren't so weird and frigid about its desktop configuration.

Many of the RPM-based distros did well about it, in particular Fedora and ROSA but other problems they had kept me away. I liked Rocky Linux although I was uncomfortable with GNOME, but they didn't have Wine in their repositories and I was unwilling to go further to resolve it. Pretty much Rocky Linux was the only one directly based on RHEL that I tried because the ISO's are large, it took me 2 hours to download 8GB which could have depended on the weather. Once I picked "net install" for a different distro based on RHEL but didn't know how to proceed from the terminal after it was installed.

Sometimes, however, these flavors could behave as if each one had a different team of developers. It could go beyond the developers of the desktop environments. One could tell with the announcements sometimes when a new release comes out, for example "Ubuntu" (with GNOME) from Ubuntu MATE, and IINM Lubuntu was the last one to call in about "Lunar Lobster" on Distrowatch. I checked out Ubuntu Unity soon after release late last year. I thought it was OK but didn't install it because it was buggy. (Good job by Rudra with it and with BlendOS.) Xubuntu v22.10 installed successfully for me, it appeared, but put me on the user/password loop, the first time any Ubuntu variation did that to me. That's where I decided I would only use LTS's. Indeed, Kubuntu LTS v22.04 has been very good, although it looks like a cut-down version of Ubuntu Studio which was a half-disappointment, half of not really having the equipment to enjoy it.

The last time I tried an Ubuntu flavor was the Cinnamon edition released just before "Lobster". It looked good, like on Manjaro but it was a bit too much for my 11-year-old HP laptop. It blocked me from using "apt" in the terminal which made me angry and therefore took it off. Wasn't going to care about the Snaps if only I could find a way for it to get out of my way.

Then there's the situation of "just like" Debian, such as Devuan and Spiral Linux. Any of them feels like ordinary Debian but with slight modifications to operation and to the user experience. Devuan go without "systemd", and Spiral does other things like provide a newer kernel than Debian "stable". Otherwise they behave just like Debian for the most part.

I have leaned too much toward Arch and Debian/Ubuntu families due to my expectations, because I cannot completely give up Windows. I mean, I could stop today using that OS but not some of the applications. Therefore I require Wine and full "multilib". I have been more tolerant than last year with Slackware, and easyOS if it weren't so weird and frigid about its desktop configuration.

Many of the RPM-based distros did well about it, in particular Fedora and ROSA but other problems they had kept me away. I liked Rocky Linux although I was uncomfortable with GNOME, but they didn't have Wine in their repositories and I was unwilling to go further to resolve it. Pretty much Rocky Linux was the only one directly based on RHEL that I tried because the ISO's are large, it took me 2 hours to download 8GB which could have depended on the weather. Once I picked "net install" for a different distro based on RHEL but didn't know how to proceed from the terminal after it was installed.

It's interesting to see your experiences with various Linux distributions and how they cater to different users' preferences and hardware capabilities. Indeed, sometimes different flavors of the same distribution can feel like they were developed by separate teams, as they cater to specific desktop environments or use cases.
Ubuntu and its various flavors, such as Ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, and Ubuntu Unity, can have different release schedules and levels of stability. It's not uncommon for users to face bugs or issues, particularly with non-LTS releases. It's great to hear that Kubuntu LTS v22.04 has been working well for you.
Cinnamon edition, which is more resource-intensive, might not be the best choice for older hardware. As for package management, it's understandable that being blocked from using "apt" could be frustrating.
Debian-based distributions like Devuan and Spiral Linux offer alternatives to Debian with slight modifications. For example, Devuan avoids using "systemd," and Spiral provides a newer kernel than Debian "stable."
Your preference for Arch and Debian/Ubuntu families is understandable, given your need for Wine and full "multilib" support due to your reliance on some Windows applications. Some RPM-based distros, like Fedora and ROSA, may have other issues that keep you away, while Rocky Linux, based on RHEL, might not have Wine readily available in their repositories.
Overall, your experience illustrates the diverse landscape of Linux distributions and how each caters to different needs and preferences. It also highlights the importance of finding the right distribution that meets your specific requirements, whether it's related to hardware compatibility, desktop environment, or software support.

But I wanted to show the Wizard in particular that I am hopeless also wanting to keep a lot of children in the electronic land.

That line still has me wondering (its meaning) but then I have Asperger's Syndrome so maybe it is obvious to everyone else :)

Certainly don't concern yourself about over-zealous moderation on my part, you are unlikely to see it. I have a laissez-faire approach following the true French meaning, not the economic management concept.

Cheers

Wiz
BTW - I was a victim, myself, of recalcitrant moderation at a site I was at for 3 years before I came here 6 years ago.

(sigh) Did the full system update on EndeavourOS GNOME, with the whole compliment of GNOME v44.1. Still cannot dragon drop away from File Roller in Wayland session. Now there's a new annoyance: it doesn't care if the user maximized the app window any longer, it always opens it smaller which is very irritating. I don't care what improvements GNOME have now or in the future, I think the v3.38 desktop on Spiral Linux is better, at least it behaves itself and I know what to expect. Except when I click with the mouse to access the "Power Off" function it often falters, must click on the top-right corner of the viewport and then handle it with the keyboard.

(EDIT: I have just learned how to do a code block without the schmaltz. :O )

---

I guess I could add Garuda MATE to my list of distros on hand. However I had to set aside a 64GB disk for it, not 32GB. I was allowed to have 8GiB "ext4" partition for "/home", and 4GiB "swap" and the rest "btrfs" by the installer. It's going very well. Disabled "chaotic-aur" repository... I don't care what it is. After the first full system update, I installed Wine and the "honeycomb" edition of the Garuda wallpapers.

I think the "garuda-update" needs a bit of refinement. It should detect if the user already ran "Reflector simple" a short time before. I ran "Reflector simple" to make sure to get servers near where I live. However "garuda-update" does the mirror-check operation again. It gives no visual account of what it's doing, which makes me think that it could select a server which is too far away which could cause slow download problems later. I had to do the full system update like on any other Arch-based distro because "garuda-update" also complained about being unable to get the "Garuda keyring".

I chose MATE because the DR460 version would have wrecked havoc on my computer. I don't like neon inside computer viewports LOL.

Members online

Latest posts