Help with lab assignment

ReadySteady

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys,

New to Linux. Taking it for the very first time this semester and have gotten through it pretty okay for the most part. Stuck on a certain part for a lab assignment. Would greatly appreciate your assistance. Stuck on this part of the lab:

-Add a tar command to the file that creates a full backup of everything in your filesystem except the /text directory to a file called /test/backup.dat
-Redirect the standard output from this command to a file called /test/backuplog.txt. Redirect the standard error from this command to a file called /test/errlog.txt
- Make the backup.sh file executable
-Create a cron command that runs the backup.sh file once a week on 12:00 AM on Sunday

I would appreciate any help offered. Thank you in advance.

What have you tried so far?

Have you looked at man pages for tar ?

Have you looked at man pages for cron ?

Here is a gimmee... have you looked at man pages for chmod ?

Lets help and confuse you a tadbit. 1 = stdout, 2 = stderr, use "redirection" to sort them into the named files.

As for ignoring specific directories. See command, 'man tar'

Hello @ReadySteady and welcome to linux.org :)

As you may see from the posts of my friends and colleagues above, and the way in which they are worded, we have an unwritten policy here that we don't do homework or help on assignments for those studying Linux for a career path.

The reasons we don't include but are not limited to:
  • In a career with Private Enterprise, Government, Industry ... you will need to be able to act quickly. Our members are scattered globally (I am from Australia) and you could be waiting 12 - 24 hours before someone happens along
  • If your course is structured, you are better served to approach your tutor or teacher (you may earn their respect for being prepared to ask), and/or reference text books and/or the internet using selective keywords
  • You will better retain and remember and learn from results found through the above
That being said, I would ask one question of you -

everything in your filesystem except the /text directory to a file called /test/backup.dat

...should that be test directory or text directory? If the former, your answers received will be markedly different, perhaps wrong.

You are the first person I recall who, with your Thread Title has actually said it is "homework", and I commend you on that.

I'll leave it to our Members how they respond.

Good Luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

You are the first person I recall who, with your Thread Title has actually said it is "homework", and I commend you on that.

We've had some that have said it in their first post (example) but, like you, I can't recall anyone mentioning it in their title. Though, I can't possibly remember all the titles I've seen.

Oh dear...not another Homework Assignment.
t2629.gif

Members online