Hello Linux! Converting an old mac, zero experience -advice?

Morwenna

Reaction score
Credits
This feels like it’s going to be long, so I’ll try to be very clear.

I have a 2011 MacBook Air running High Sierra 10.12.6 -1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 - 4GB Memory 1333MHz DDR3- Graphics 3000 384 MB

I want to use this computer to learn how to write python, but also to manage a wordpress website, post blogs etc.
Here is the possible issue I’m facing:

1. It was owned by a friend, who had a tech friend do a workaround when it seemed he was unable to log in to his user account. The workaround was a second user account which still works.

2. I decided to re-install the OS to factory settings, but no use of Command + R or any other possible variations would bring up the boot menu. Apple Techs were also unable to re-install.

3. I then reset the password to access the primary user account to see if I could find out why command + R etc were not working,

So the question is:

How can I wipe out the old OS if I can’t access the reboot screen?

The Apple tech said it’s because the OS is old and it’s a glitch he sees all the time and he can’t do anything. Having dealt with them before, I know that “Can’t” really means “Won’t. Because we want you to buy another computer”.

As far as what I want to do and my experience, I have an iphone and an ipad, but my computer experience is mostly windows based. I’m good at figuring things out, so I feel like I could learn Linux.

I don’t know anything about Linux or programming, except that I did take a short course in computer programming with Quick Basic, which I LOVED. But being a girl in the late 80’s was not conducive to learning computer programming, and I’m sorry to say that not only was I not encouraged, I was actively discouraged from proceeding in the field of computer science. I now have the time to pursue it and have heard that Linux is a fun system with lots to do and challenge you.

Again, I want to soon learn Python, so I need to be able to download an older version of it which will be compatible with the Linux system that is compatible with this older Mac. And they should also be compatible with an IDE like Thonny or something, to learn Python, and still be able to access the internet to manage the wordpress websites.

I should note that I travel exclusively, do not have a home at this time, and can carry very little because I live permanently out of a suitcase. So I need the least amount of computer hardware for the most bang!
Thanks so much for all the advice! - M

Last edited:

Well, that's quite the predicament.

You can try (assuming you have the ability) to remove the storage drive and put it (by itself) into another computer. Then, install Linux on that computer. When Linux is installed, reverse the process and there's some chance that it'll boot right up.

But, it's concerning that you can't get to the boot screen and that Apple techs were also unable to get to the boot screen. Is the key dead? Does the Command Key work during normal operation?

Welcome to the forums
Installing to a MacBook is not a simple as installing yo a PC. if you use the search facility there are lots of post on installing Linux to mac

If you are doing a full clean installation of Linux, select use whole/complete disc and everything will get wiped.

Thank you for the replies! Yes I agree it’s very weird. And yes, the command key and all the other keys work fine anywhere else.

I would love to be able to remove that drive like you explained, I hope someday I‘ll be able to do that!

After searching online, I broke down and found a very experienced tech and took the mac in for advice. He had never heard of that problem either and was baffled when he saw it in action.

However, after a full hardware check (he found no issues) and discussion, he recommended installing Linux Mint and he’s doing it for me now.

And thank you, I‘ll verify that he did a clean installation. He uses it himself, and knew the capabilities of every Linux OS and which were best for what, so I feel confident.
I’m SOOO excited to start using Linux!

I had the same machine.
Unless you want to break your head with rEffind, grub … and the complete master of your Mac (which Apple won’t make your life easy), try MX Linux.
Make a MX bootable USB (I use Yumi all my Linux life, just because I am too lazy to change).
Insert the USB, hold the ALT key and turn on the Mac, until you see the ‘Windows’ icon, choose that.
MX will boot, I am sure of that, connect to wifi, run a Youtube video - to be sure that everything is working then hit ‘Install’.
During the installation, choose ‘Erase everything’ to get rid of everything Apple (AFP crap…).

Better is to see how the OP went with the tech install.

Cheers

Wizard

Thank you for your post. I hope all went well with your installation and you can now start to learn python and Linux etc.

Funnily enough, I have exactly the same problem right now. My MacBook Pro 2016 (16.2) only boots into recovery mode, no longer recognizes boot drives usb sticks with Alt+Boot and the recovery installation of macOS aborts in the middle. Thank you Apple - for nothing...

At https://github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux I see that the model 16.2 is not really suitable for a current linux. Can anyone confirm this? But the repo is also a bit older.

This Gist https://gist.github.com/roadrunner2/1289542a748d9a104e7baec6a92f9cd7 is not exactly encouraging either. But this one sounds promising https://gist.github.com/cjonesy/2e2d8ca5e50ee1811f70

Otherwise there are these instructions: https://dev.to/cmiranda/linux-on-macbook-pro-2016-1onb

I have a feeling that this is going to be a bumpy road…

MX Linux doesn't cause such problems, @ML113?

Not if you attempt to do some yourself and mess thing up.
By the way I clone the whole hard disk before proceeding.

Members online