Hello Everyone

MrFrankVegas

Reaction score
Credits
Good Afternoon :)

I have been using Linux in some variation since about 2008, I was introduced to it in a college server admin class (specifically for web devs), and decided to give it a shot on my daily driver machine, I remember it being a nightmare, especially getting the touch-screen and wireless working; and there were always tons of issues. Plus I had to run a Windows VM anyway, because some of the school's apps were Windows-only LOL. So I kind of gave up on daily driving it, and mainly used it on all of my servers (I am a web developer, mainly PHP, as well as front-end and JS stuff). As a server OS my Linux experience has been amazing, both on my personal servers as well as on my production machines, so lightweight and stable, plus I am extremely familiar with the OS, system files, config, and terminal so managing Linux servers has always been a breeze.

As for recently, I have been watching the forums and such and noticed that it looks like gaming on Linux is on the rise, thanks to programs like Proton, so I decided to give it a try on my gaming machine, I have been kind of blown away at how easy it has become to set everything up, configure everything and get gaming, I was set up with everything in just a couple hours, with proton games and native games ready to go on my machine. No fighting with configs, or Windows drivers that needed to be modified, most of it was natively supported. LOL :) I am really excited for this development, with the way things have been going on Windows (in terms of security, privacy, and bad releases) I am very encouraged by the advancements made as of late. I am really looking forward to daily-driving a Linux machine again.

That being said, I will still have my MBP as my work machine, I have to have Photoshop and Premier, and I really just need a solid machine that works all the time LOL.

Really looking forward to talking with everyone and getting more into Linux,

Thank you,
-Frank

G'day Frank and a welcome to linux.org from DownUnder :)

Enjoy the company, and the OS.

Friday here in Oz so

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Welcome to the forums, back in 2008 linux was just blossoming, now its almost in full bloom,
what sort of kit are you using for everyday use & which distribution did you settle into?

Bwiz

Thank you everyone,

I have always been, for the most part, a Ubuntu user, I like the stability and the regular updates, plus they seem to have pretty good hardware support, but I really did not like using their modified Gnome install so for the last several years I have always kind of defaulted to Xubuntu for the majority of my Linux needs (unless I didn't need a GUI, in that case I would just use Ubuntu Server).

However, when I was setting up my gaming machine, something that I would be using daily, I did some research to see if one had an advantage over another, I tried a bunch out: Pop OS, Manjaro, Arch, Garuda, Xubuntu, and Vanilla Ubunutu, too see if there was much many changed between them, which I liked best, and what defaults they came with that would or wouldn't work for me.

(I literally just spilled a huge coffee all over my desk, I think everything is ok, it just made a huge mess :( )

Anyway, I ended up going with Ubuntu 21.04, pretty solid and I am very familiar with it, thankfully I was also able to make edits to the GUI to fit what I liked instead of the default, that I don't like much :) As a side-note, I really did like Manjaro as well, but I could not get used to the pacman installer, I thank after years of using apt, pacman is just missing tons of stuff and its really hard to switch to.

As for hardware:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x470-e
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
RAM: 32GB Gskill Trident Z Neo
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 ti
SSD: Samsung EVO Plus NVME SSD 1TB
Case: Case is the Corsair Crystal 570x (Not Recommended)

Ubuntu was able to get all of the drivers and everything worked out of the box with no issues. Grabbed the GPU driver from the Ubuntu Extras and it auto-installed no problem.

The only caveats are: Razer Keyboard and Mouse (I don't care about the RGB, but I do miss the control software or macro keys, especially the ones on my Razer Trinity Mouse); and my AVerMedia 4k PCIe Capture card, I don't really use this much anymore, so it might just be coming out. I have not done much research on these though and as more gamers join the Linux world I expect that there is probably a solution out there.

Anyway, hope you all have an amazing day :)

-Frank

Nice bit of kit...
Thank you :) the only thing I have been trying to upgrade is the GPU, the 1070 ti is a bit old these days, but it's pretty much impossible to upgrade without paying some insane price so I have just been waiting, for well over a year now. Thankfully the games I play are sort of ok on the 1070 ti.

trying to upgrade is the GPU, the 1070 ti is a bit old these days,
if you fell down a well and came up with a pocket full of dosh, you will still need to be careful of getting the very latest Ryzen cpu's and check that the available drivers will work with them, in theory they should be ok but theory is not always followed by practice.

Bwiz

if you fell down a well and came up with a pocket full of dosh, you will still need to be careful of getting the very latest Ryzen cpu's and check that the available drivers will work with them, in theory they should be ok but theory is not always followed by practice.

Bwiz

That is a very good point, and one I remember from my old Linux days, when I was first getting started. Its always best to avoid anything brand new, because it takes a while for Linux drivers and support to be available. All of my servers are ok, but this being a gaming machine, the temptation is to always have the latest, not a great idea for the most part. :oops:

Hello Frank,
Welcome to the group, enjoy the Journey :)

If you want the latest and greatest, you *most likely* want a rolling release distro. There are a number to pick from.

If you want the latest and greatest, you *most likely* want a rolling release distro. There are a number to pick from.

That is an interesting point too, from what I have been reading over the last few days (although I might be wrong here), Arch (and its derivatives) seems to be the way to go for the 'cutting edge' I tend to try to balance that though, and I really do not like pacman LOL.

Frank, just be aware that your 21.04 'Hirsute Hippo' reaches end of life probably around 20 January or so, so be prepared to change.

Cheers

Wiz

Frank, just be aware that your 21.04 'Hirsute Hippo' reaches end of life probably around 20 January or so, so be prepared to change.

Good call, I initally installed 20.04.2 LTS, but decided to switch to the normal version (hoping for more recent drivers, and upgrades) so I upgraded to 21.04 yesterday. I did also notice that 21.10 came out on Oct. 14, saw it in the terminal window, so I will need to upgrade again. Hopefully it wont be too bad. :eek:

I did also notice that 21.10 came out on Oct. 14, saw it in the terminal window, so I will need to upgrade again.

If you're not on the LTS branch, upgrades are every six months - plus a little leeway.

All updated, thankfully it was just the 6-month update, so it was not too bad :) Been finding a lot of cool apps too, and I was able to get the Razer Keyboard and mouse set up for gaming so that was a plus.

Screenshot from 2021-10-30 09-25-27.png

Funny thing, around the same time I was upgrading Ubuntu, Windows in the VM decided to update. Even on Linux I am waiting for Windows update :D

Screenshot from 2021-10-28 17-33-00.png

Have a great Saturday everyone,

-Frank

Members online