Headache #2 Showing my Dorkness?

But do

i actually access anything Windows when I alter BIOS to boot into or from the USB? I should just be accessing Dells stuff? Or am I wrong?
I have no earthly idea what your response meant.

But do

i actually access anything Windows when I alter BIOS to boot into or from the USB? I should just be accessing Dells stuff? Or am I wrong?
Since it is Dell: Install on USB, boot up the Dell, at the "BIOS screen" while starting up press F12 (boot menu), select USB decide and the rest will will follow. I've owned a few Dell laptops and this procedure worked every time without changing any settings in the BIOS.

In all fairness I do have to say that those were slightly older laptops from around 2015/16.

Since it is Dell: Install on USB, boot up the Dell, at the "BIOS screen" while starting up press F12 (boot menu), select USB decide and the rest will will follow. I've owned a few Dell laptops and this procedure worked every time without changing any settings in the BIOS.

In all fairness I do have to say that those were slightly older laptops from around 2015/16.
That's exactly what I do..F@ then select the USB to boot from. The USB loads fine. 2 days ago I had the option to wipe disk or load Linux along side windows. Today I used the same USB and that wasn't an option. Either wipe hard drive or something else. The something else option confused the snot out of me.

That's exactly what I do..F@ then select the USB to boot from. The USB loads fine. 2 days ago I had the option to wipe disk or load Linux along side windows. Today I used the same USB and that wasn't an option. Either wipe hard drive or something else. The something else option confused the snot out of me.
already posted what to check, to which I received a nonsense response SMH

No, no I mean INSTALL it on USB, not burning. Go through the installing process and instead of choosing the INTERNAL drive choose the USB device instead while the installation prompt lets you choose the volume (disc) where to install the distro. This device would usually be SDA1 (if no other USB devices are attached) :)

No, no I mean INSTALL it on USB, not burning. Go through the installing process and instead of choosing the INTERNAL drive choose the USB device instead while the installation prompt lets you choose the volume (disc) where to install the distro. This device would usually be SDA1 ()if no other USB devices are attached) :)
I think that's my issue, once I get prompted for language and all that's where the fun ends. I then have no other option but to wipe hard drive or something else, never had that issue..not even the option to test it..just wipe it or something else.

No, no I mean INSTALL it on USB, not burning
After reading this entire thread, that's the OPs best, and safest bet so he doesn't bork his sister's computer ;)

I think that's my issue, once I get prompted for language and all that's where the fun ends. I then have no other option but to wipe hard drive or something else, never had that issue..not even the option to test it..just wipe it or something else.
And right BEFORE that point (depending on the distro you are installing) you will be able to choose the volume where to install. By default that would be the internal drive. Look closely.

I recommend to install Mint for her as I know for a fact that the installation menu is very clear and verbose as to WHERE you exactly want to install it. Some distros are less clear on that than others as installers per distro may vary.

After reading this entire thread, that's the OPs best, and safest bet so he doesn't bork his sister's computer ;)
That's why I jumped in with that option ;)

And right BEFORE that point (depending on the distro you are installing) you will be able to choose the volume where to install. By default that would be the internal drive. Look closely.

I recommend to install Mint for her as I know for a fact that the installation menu is very clear and verbose as to WHERE you exactly want to install it. Some distros are less clear on that than others as installers per distro may vary.
It is mint. I just installed this distro on my Laptop..using it now. Hers is a Dell as well, but a desktop, and the install procedure is completely different. Even though I'm using the same USB I used on the laptop.

Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal

That's why I jumped in with that option
I'm pretty sure there's a language barrier going on in this thread, and I'm still not cerain he caught your responce. I know he ignored what I told him to check, as I had the same exact thing going on with a client's PC just the other day. All I had to do was turn off disk encryption on the Windoze side of things. Either he won't, or can't comprehend? :(

It is mint. I just installed this distro on my Laptop..using it now. Hers is a Dell as well, but a desktop, and the install procedure is completely different. Even though I'm using the same USB I used on the laptop.

Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Great! Go through the installation process again and look closely if there are any drop down menus which can be discovered (and the WILL be) before you get to the "wipe disc" message...........let the learning begin :D

It's there, go for it!

I'm pretty sure there's a language barrier going on in this thread, and I'm still not cerain he caught your responce. I know he ignored what I told him to check, as I had the same exact thing going on with a client's PC just the other day. All I had to do was turn off disk encryption on the Windoze side of things. Either he won't, or can't comprehend? :(
There's that too. Lost in translation. But OP has all the info and tools at hand now.

This is what "learning curve" looks like and OP is ready for that challenge which i sort of admire :)

Encryption is not ticked, and I comprehend fairly well I feel.

There's that too. Lost in translation. But OP has all the info and tools at hand now.

This is what "learning curve" looks like and OP is ready for that challenge which i sort of admire :)
Heck yes I'm up for any challenge, I'm not a quitter.

I'll give it a shot, it won't kill her windows install will it? She don't want to remove windows until she is completely comfortable with Linux..then we'll remove windows totally.
No, shrinking a partition will not stop it from booting correctly.
Make sure you select the correct partition and NOT the Windows Recovery partition.

Another option would be to download g-parted Live on a USB or CD/DVD and use that to shrink the partition.

Read the manual for it if you have never used g-parted before.

Members online

Latest posts