Headache #2 Showing my Dorkness?

You're doing great :)
Thank You. If I were doing great though..it would be up and running.
Ya know the funny thing about this? I've called computer shops who claim they can fix anyting, That's a load of crap. They come over, see that it's Linux and say they can't help. But don't feel bad about charging the $35 for a house call..a bunch of crap.

Hers is a Dell as well, but a desktop, and the install procedure is completely different.
The procedure is exactly the same for both Lappies and desktops,

The procedure is exactly the same for both Lappies and desktops,
Care to put money on that?
As I mentioned, I loaded it 2 days ago on my 2 laptops, not a glitch.
Each time I tried on sisters, the dialog was totally different, once I entered language & keyboard info that was the end of that...May as well been written in Latin, it went directly to the wipe hard drive option.

Have a look on the Windows install. Is bitlocker turned on?

If it is, turn it off, reboot and try again

G'day @Baddc053 - if you have no joy with Brian's suggestion immediately above, sing out and I'll swing by and make a few suggestions.

I am a Dell user for most of the last 20 years, laptop nowadays but have used desktop as well.

Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal

If that is what you are using, you could go newer, if you wish, that might obviate the problem.

Mint is up to 21.2 'Victoria' now.

If nothing else works, I would like you to take a phone photo of your F12 one-time boot screen and upload it here so we can check the options.

But as I say, try Brian's bitlocker option first and please report its outcome.

Does dumber than a box of hair have any meaning?

I love that - if it's my hair, it will have Linux in the DNA helix.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Have a look on the Windows install. Is bitlocker turned on?

If it is, turn it off, reboot and try again
Will Do, Thank You.

I doubt it's turned on though...She has a tough time just booting up Windows. Heck..She's 77 years old and dumber than a box of rocks, but I'll check.
G'day @Baddc053 - if you have no joy with Brian's suggestion immediately above, sing out and I'll swing by and make a few suggestions.

I am a Dell user for most of the last 20 years, laptop nowadays but have used desktop as well.

If that is what you are using, you could go newer, if you wish, that might obviate the problem.

If nothing else works, I would like you to take a phone photo of your F12 one-time boot screen and upload it here so we can check the options.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I will do that. I can't today though..My day to sit in a chair for dialysis. Takes the better part of the day, and when it's finished you're completely drained of energy.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Will Do, Thank You.

I doubt it's turned on though...She has a tough time just booting up Windows. Heck..She's 77 years old and dumber than a box of rocks, but I'll check.

I will do that. I can't today though..My day to sit in a chair for dialysis. Takes the better part of the day, and when it's finished you're completely drained of energy.
Also (Now I'm feeling like being dumber than a box of hair) You said to get screen shots of my F12 screen, I use F2 to get to BIOS, could that be the issue?
Once I get in I'll do a screen by screen thing...not including the language screens and time zone screen, just up to where I get to more meatier subjects. Will that work?

I am not positive, but I believe bitlocker was turned on by default in win 10....so it may not have taken intervention on your sisters part.

I am not positive, but I believe bitlocker was turned on by default in win 10....so it may not have taken intervention on your sisters part.
I'll check on bitlocker when I get back. I'm not all that in WIN10 (I was okay with Windows up until Win7, but gave up on that after 10 came out.) So where would I find it. All them inane apps Windows now has is just ridiculous.

Also (Now I'm feeling like being dumber than a box of hair) You said to get screen shots of my F12 screen, I use F2 to get to BIOS,
on a most dells F2 is to change your BIOS, F12 is the short [quick] boot menu, than you would normally use for one time choice of where to boot from [I also run a Dell lappy [I have had dell desktops in the past]

on a most dells F2 is to change your BIOS, F12 is the short [quick] boot menu, than you would normally use for one time choice of where to boot from [I also run a Dell lappy [I have had dell desktops in the past]
I'll try the F12, May work better. Dells kick butt IMO. HPs are glorified door stops...and their printers are even worse.
I'm learning all kinds of new things here...Somewhat like going back to grammar school, and later finding out everything you originally learned wasn't true.

HPs are glorified door stops...and their printers are even worse.
I NOW HAVE AN HP Prodesk [around 7 years old] No problems. I have always [well in the last 20 yrs] had Hp printers , they were never a problem, until HP decided to make it that you cannot use re-filled [or even re-fill your own] cartages, I have 2 waiting to go to re-cycling, a photoprint which was brilliant, but with age and use it needed servicing, but the part I needed was more than a new printer, so I got an Envy wireless printer it lasted 2 years before it stopped accepting even new cartages, so for the last year I have had an Epsom, again lovely printer, but a right sod to set up on Linux.

I NOW HAVE AN HP Prodesk [around 7 years old] No problems. I have always [well in the last 20 yrs] had Hp printers , they were never a problem, until HP decided to make it that you cannot use re-filled [or even re-fill your own] cartages, I have 2 waiting to go to re-cycling, a photoprint which was brilliant, but with age and use it needed servicing, but the part I needed was more than a new printer, so I got an Envy wireless printer it lasted 2 years before it stopped accepting even new cartages, so for the last year I have had an Epsom, again lovely printer, but a right sod to set up on Linux.
I've had crap luck with HP anything. I currently use Canon printers but next time will be Brother, they fully
support Linux.

was a matter of having Windoze disk encrytion turned on (On windows pro it's call bit defender, on all other releases such as home just search the term encryption in the search from start), and turn it off. If she's got encryption turned on, that may very well be the problem, although most people don't even know that most OEMs turn it on by default.

I'll check on bitlocker when I get back. I'm not all that in WIN10 (I was okay with Windows up until Win7, but gave up on that after 10 came out.) So where would I find it. All them inane apps Windows now has is just ridiculous.
Two pages back SMH and Peace OUT! :rolleyes:

I know she uses bit defender, along with a bazillion other anti virus and associated programs
Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with Bitlocker (disk encryption) SMH

The OP's saga reminds my own a decade ago.
Owner of a new Asus Desktop , 2T HD, Win 8 - I decided to dual boot. I didn't want to void
the warranty so I purchase a 125G Samsung SSD and asked my b.i.l to install it, disconnect the 2T HD to be sure.
After fiddling around with Linux, I asked him to reconnect the main 2T drive ... because I didn't know how to.

(here are three ways shown here to find bitlocker)...^^^^

1. How to access BitLocker using the search​

One of the fastest ways to access BitLocker and manage the drive encryption settings on your Windows computer or device is via search. If you're using a Windows 10 PC, click or tap on the search box from your taskbar or press the Windows key, and start typing bitlocker. On the list of results, select Manage BitLocker, or click/tap on the Open link from the right pane.

finding-your-bitlocker-recovery-key-in-windows-6b71ad27-0b89-ea08-f143-056f5ab347d6

Something [depending on the distribution] else normally gives you the choice of manually partitioning the hard-drive or install alongside
Not a problem Wiz, I wasn't certain where to post exactly.

Okay...here's the deal.

Bitlocker was off.

I used F12 instead of F2 and everything worked from there.

I apologize for being late on responding, just not enough time in the day.

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

HPs are glorified door stops...and their printers are even worse.
Mm.....no; I can't really agree with that. Never had an HP printer.....been an Epson man for over 35 years, and been really pleased with 'em.

Had an elderly HP-Compaq Presario desktop rig up till the start of the pandemic. Went to spring-clean it in Jan' of 2020, and it simply refused to boot after that. Checked everything I could think of, but no dice. It was, however, nearly 16 years old at that point, so I think the caps had finally dried out. They'd been looking iffy for the previous couple of years, so it was hardly unexpected. As for using it.....brilliant piece of kit. Belonged to my sister - had XP on it - when it came time to move to Win 7, like most people she bought new and was going to send the old rig to landfill.

I grabbed it, and re-purposed it to run Puppy Linux. Which it did for 6 years, till the spring-clean fiasco.....

----------------------------
Now I run a fairly modern HP Pavilion desktop, which I've upgraded to within an inch of its life. 32 GB DDR4, SSDs - 5TB-worth! - Nvidia GPU.....etc, etc. Again, brilliant system (once you've sussed the UEFI crap out!)

Definitely agree about Dells. Had 2 of their laptops. First 'puter we ever had in our house was a 2002, 32-bit P4-based Inspiron 1100, with a gig-and-a-half of DDR1..! It was still going till last year, when the Intel Extreme graphics adapter finally gave up the ghost. So I replaced it with a Core2Duo-based, 4 GB 2008 Dell Latitude D630. Refurbed, and someone had shoe-horned Win 10 onto its 120 GB SSD. Which was the very first thing to go.....zapped, with extreme prejudice!

Now it dual-boots a pair of 64-bit Puppies. It's still in almost brand-new condition - obviously had an easy life - and absolutely everything still works. Even the auto-sensing screen brightness adjuster!

Amazing, really.....but it's what I've come to expect from Dell.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

Staff online