Solved Having trouble installing Linux Mint

Solved issue

attacking_sharks

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all, I am pretty new to Linux in general, and have been working the last couple of days to try and get a dual-boot with Windows working. I have tried to run both Linux Mint and Kubuntu, and both had the same technical problems, in that I am completely unable to connect to the Wifi, it just does not appear as an option, and I am unable to get my primary monitor to connect. While my second vertical monitor connects but has problems with the desktop unless I completely disconnect my primary monitor.

So, system specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Nvidia RTX 3070
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Wifi card is (I believe) a TP-Link Archer 6e

The monitor I am having trouble with is a Gigabyte M34WQ, which is a 3440x1440 ultrawide. It just does not want to put up a connection from either distro I have tried to install.

I have gotten some errors related to SPROM as well if that helps.

I have an idea of how to fix it, to somehow update the drivers for both my graphics card and for my wifi card, but I am unsure of how to do that if I cannot connect to the internet in the first place. Also for what it's worth, TP-Link does not have Linux drivers on their website (that I could find), so is the issue that my network adapter just isn't compatible?

I appreciate any and all help, thank you.

In relation to the wifi, what is the chipset of the TP-Link Archer 6e? It looks like it's a PCI-E adapter, so run the following command in a terminal:
Code:
lspci -v
and extract and show the full output of the wifi card.

The steps basically are to identify the chipset of the wifi card, find a driver and install it. If the driver is not in the kernel modules, and it sounds like yours isn't (or presumably it would have been loaded and working), then the driver is likely somewhere on github.

If it's on github, you need to have installed on your system the packages: git, gcc, and the linux header files for your current kernel, so that you can download the source code for the driver (i.e. clone it with git), and compile it with the gcc compiler, and then install it. Usually the instructions for compiling and installing come in documents with the driver, but sometimes they don't.

Being "pretty new to linux" may make all of this seem like a daunting task, but you can be guided through it with instructions ... slowly.

If you have an ethernet interface on your system, this will almost certainly be able to be configured to get online, if you can connect it to a router that gets online. Then you would be able to download all the necessaries for the wifi as well as anything else.

Another alternative to getting online is to connect up a mobile phone to the computer in tethering mode, configure the computer to use it, and so use the mobile to get online and download packages.

Dual booting is a choice I avoid because of it's limitations and inconveniences. Far better in my view to run two computers which can be connected to each other, or run virtual machines on a single computer so both operating systems can be live. YMMV, as many do.

In relation to the wifi, what is the chipset of the TP-Link Archer 6e? It looks like it's a PCI-E adapter, so run the following command in a terminal:
Code:
lspci -v
and extract and show the full output of the wifi card.

The steps basically are to identify the chipset of the wifi card, find a driver and install it. If the driver is not in the kernel modules, and it sounds like yours isn't (or presumably it would have been loaded and working), then the driver is likely somewhere on github.

If it's on github, you need to have installed on your system the packages: git, gcc, and the linux header files for your current kernel, so that you can download the source code for the driver (i.e. clone it with git), and compile it with the gcc compiler, and then install it. Usually the instructions for compiling and installing come in documents with the driver, but sometimes they don't.

Being "pretty new to linux" may make all of this seem like a daunting task, but you can be guided through it with instructions ... slowly.

If you have an ethernet interface on your system, this will almost certainly be able to be configured to get online, if you can connect it to a router that gets online. Then you would be able to download all the necessaries for the wifi as well as anything else.

Another alternative to getting online is to connect up a mobile phone to the computer in tethering mode, configure the computer to use it, and so use the mobile to get online and download packages.

Dual booting is a choice I avoid because of it's limitations and inconveniences. Far better in my view to run two computers which can be connected to each other, or run virtual machines on a single computer so both operating systems can be live. YMMV, as many do.
I was able to get it to work by tethering my phone and updating the drivers for my TP-Link Archer T6E by following the instructions on this forum post: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=292225

I was able to update my graphics drivers and my monitor now works as well.

Thank you so much!

welcome to the forums
I was juts about to give you full instructions on installing TP link drivers [they usualy use broadcom chips]
if you are now happy with youe linux installation we recomend you install Timeshift or similar recovery program

welcome to the forums
I was juts about to give you full instructions on installing TP link drivers [they usualy use broadcom chips]
if you are now happy with youe linux installation we recomend you install Timeshift or similar recovery program
Will definitely set up Timeshift now that everything is working! Thank you!

Members online