Gparted

• Thread starter Deleted member 108694
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108694

GParted 1.4.0 has been released - https://gparted.org/download.php

From the changelog -
GParted live 1.4.0-1

* The underlying GNU/Linux operating system was upgraded.
This release is based on the Debian Sid repository (as of 2022/Mar/29).
* New upstream GParted 1.4.0.
* Linux kernel was updated to 5.16.14-1.

-- Steven Shiau <steven _at_ stevenshiau org> Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:07:00 +0800

I never bother with that distro - I just use one that has GParted already installed on it, or one with Gnome Disks or even KDE's Partition Manager. I've always got at least one of those handy.

I never bother with that distro - I just use one that has GParted already installed on it, or one with Gnome Disks or even KDE's Partition Manager. I've always got at least one of those handy.
I just install it to a thumb drive - also have a thumb drive with Boot Repair on it - just in case - but usually; like you, I just use the Live USB

For the new folks reading this thread, it should probably also be mentioned that we're pretty experienced users. I haven't hosed an OS beyond quick repair in a long time. I don't really need these sort of tools to be immediately at hand.

I have a thumbdrive with the current Lubuntu (and others, but I really only need the one) at pretty much anywhere I'm likely to use a computer for any length of time. It works. If I need boot-repair, it's as simple as adding a repository and installing it in the live environment.

New users? Yeah, if you're gonna go breaking stuff then all these tools should be in your toolbox.

The new guy at the garage always buys more tools and gadgets, filling up their toolboxes every time Mac shows up at the garage. The old dude that's been in the industry their whole life has half the tools and yet strangely has the the right tool you do need when it comes to pulling out a pulley from a water pump.

Something like that...

Tools love them and have a pile of them more than my kids could even lose when they were growing up. :p

Now days with all of the changes specialty tools I have no longer seem to work on vehicles I now have. :(

Sometime in my years of life I've realized I no longer have to work on my vehicles I can afford to take them to the mechanic for repairs. ;) :)

As for Gparted I've downloaded a few different releases of it however I've hardly ever used them and when I have used Gparted it was the one with the distro.

Go figure. o_O

Tools love them and have a pile of them more than my kids could even lose when they were growing up.

Here I go digressing again... If it gets too bad, I'll split it off and move it to off-topic.

I am in the 'new mechanic' field. I own all the tools. All of them. I have a row of Snap On toolboxes. I've been building up my tools for a long time, but more intensely after I retired (and since slowed down now, for reasons we'll skip in public). I own an asinine amount of tools. (See below.)

But, my kids were well behaved and I had two simple rules that they needed to follow if they want to use my tools.

Put them back EXACTLY where you found them - and that means I expect the screwdrivers to be facing the same direction they were facing when you picked it up. If I left it on the bench, don't put it away for me. Put it back EXACTLY where you found it.

Before putting it back, wipe it off with a rag. I do not care if it doesn't look dirty. Wipe it off with a rag before putting it back EXACTLY where you found it.

Below: As for asinine amount of tools, I own all sorts of stuff. For example, I have my own portable alignment system so that you can align your wheels between heats if you hit a curb too hard or whatnot. (In my defense, it was on sale when I bought it.)

Gparted by itself? Hardly. Not when included in such as SystemRescue and UBCD and other utilities.

The analogy with tools reminds me of a lug wrench and jack -- don't need them usually, but . . .

-- Steven Shiau <steven _at_ stevenshiau org> Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:07:00 +0800

Just a little namedropping - Steven Shiau is also the author of Clonezilla, which is maintained by Steven, and contributed to by Geza Kovacs, of Unetbootin.

I still have my first USB stick, 512 MB, and in The Good Old Days, I used to be able to fit both Gparted Live and Clonezilla on it, but they have each since grown in size.

I spotted the GParted release at Distrowatch yesterday, but thanks for sharing, Lord Boltar. :)

Wiz

I still have my first USB stick, 512 MB

I would ask, "Why?" I mean, if you need thumb drives, just PM me an address I can use at Amazon or NewEgg. I'll even order 'em with my fake online persona just in case you want them to appear as from nothing!

Members online