Google Chrome and Firejail

The Duck

Reaction score
Credits
Hello forums,

I've recently started using Google Chrome and yeah I already know about the invasiveness of anything Google.

My question is can I use Firejail or is Google Chrome already sandboxed or firejailed with their own version.

One of the Linux distros I'm using has switched from Firefox to Google Chrome so I'm giving Google Chrome a try.

Thanks

By default, all Google Chrome browsers are sandboxed. Additionally, the individual tabs are sandboxed, AFAIK. This means you have a ton of instances if you have a lot of open tabs, but I think that's a worthwhile trade.

Brave-browser also uses the same sandboxing technology as Chromium....( (the engine that also powers Chrome and Edge).

Sounds as though I don't need to run Firejail would that be correct.

If I was to use Firejail with the sandboxing that's already being used could that cause any conflicts or other problems.

Is there such a thing as over sandboxing.

I have never heard of such a thing but ya learn new stuff all of the time.

Presently using Firejail and have not noticed any conflicts but wonder.

I'll leave things as they are and see if any issues arise.

I've not used Google Chrome in quite awhile so don't know much about it.

Thanks for the replies.

Is there such a thing as over sandboxing.
I have zero idea
One way to find out....install firejail in chrome browser and see what happens.

I can only imagine that the "stronger' of the two will take over ...?

Me nether and I do have Firejail installed in Google Chrome browser and so far all seems to be working well.

I've searched about running Firejail with Google Chrome and haven't found anything negative yet doesn't mean there couldn't be though.

I'm going to see what happens.

I was interested in this, and learned a few things. Even though chrome does sandbox itself, these types of sandboxes are specific to the browser's internal components and web content; they don't necessarily isolate the browser from the rest of the system to the extent that external tools like Firejail can. Firejail can limit a browser's access to the filesystem, network, and other resources beyond what the browser's own sandbox does.

If I was to use Firejail with the sandboxing that's already being used could that cause any conflicts or other problems.

It shouldn't break anything. In fact, there are a few features you could add. You could likely stop it from downloading, or retaining the downloaded files. Stuff like that.

One of these days, I'll cover the concept of jails.

Members online