Get folders into Betterbird from Thunderbird

truckerDave

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,

I'm a newb on Mint and I've been trying a few email clients lately. I installed Thunderbird and added my age old email account at Gmail. The program did it's job and downloaded copies of 9+ years of emails. The majority are work related and I marked them read and moved them into folders to keep organized.

After a few days using the program, I decided I didn't care for Thunderbird's layout and changed to Betterbird. I find it's more like what I'm accustomed to looking at which makes it easier for me to read and find things.

The problem I have is that, when asked to if I wanted to import stuff from Thunderbird, it instantly fails.

How can I get my folders switched over? Or .... How can I force Betterbird to re-GET all 9 years of emails? Or .... Is this a Gmail issue?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I've removed both programs. I've purged both programs. I've reinstalled both programs. Multiple times. Not sure what files either keeps the emails/configuration/etc in. But I do know those locations don't get removed as I have only entered my account info once. And TB still has my added folders with the emails in them.

You're likely using IMAP. So, those folders you created are also created on the server. Those emails you moved were also moved on the server.

You should be able to just manually add your account to the new email client and things should be the same as they are in the other email client.

If this is not true, you're likely using local folders and not using IMAP. It should schedule a sync and grab all that older email. You may need to do something like manually tell those folders to sync, assuming they're appearing.

If this is not true, you're likely using local folders and not using IMAP.
Yup. Not knowing the difference, I opted for local folders.
You may need to do something like manually tell those folders to sync, assuming they're appearing.
Nope, they are not appearing in the BB version. When I first installed BB, it asked if I wanted to sync data from TB, but failed. Not finding anything of the sort in options to try it again. But going to go dig in to it again just to double check.

You should be able to just manually add your account to the new email client and things should be the same as they are in the other email client.
Absolutely correct.

WHere are you getting the betterbird download from ?

It is in Software Manager in Linux Mint 21.2

I remember trying betterbird at one stage, but fairly quickly ghave it the flick becasue it didn't do what it said it would do on the box......I forget the detail, but I am fairly unforgiving where software is concerned...if it doesnt do what it says it does, ZI will give it one more go and if it doesn't perform....away it goes.

Just a tip. if you tap the alt ket while you are in betterbird (this also works in Thunderbird) it will show the Menu Bar up top on left hand side.
(file, edit, view,go, message, veents and tasks, tools, help)

Under Tools...it may have Import .....Have a decko in there

It is in Software Manager in Linux Mint 21.2
Yes.
Under Tools...it may have Import .....Have a decko in there
Import kept crashing. The issue was it was trying to import from a file that didn't exist and wouldn't let me change it.

I just found the folders TB and BB use to store data. Renamed them and reinstalled BB. All is good .... for now. I also switched to IMAP. Which will work until I do away with the gmail account.

Thanks fellas

if you take on a paid email service, the imap account will stand you in good stead.

I am quite certain that any paid email service in the world has the ability to import all emails and settings from google Gmails imap account.

if I could afford one, I would.

A number of people on here talk about proton mail...a few others (including @osprey use another Australian based whose name I cannot remember at the moment
Even Yahoo still has an email account offering 1TB of free storage ....but you can bet your life they scan every email that comes in and goes out for people's data..same as google.
proton mail is encrypted, which while it is safe, I think makes it a bit messy for everyday use..

Anyway....there are lots of them

If you want the most secure email provider, then you should select ProtonMail because it’s designed with the security and privacy of users in mind, and it has no ads.

If you want the most secure email provider, then you should select ProtonMail because it’s designed with the security and privacy of users in mind, and it has no ads.
I don't really have a need for "secure" email. Just would like a provider that the S.O.P. isn't to snoop through everything and harvest any data they can.

That narrows the field quite a bit.

Basically, forget the "free" offerings

Maybe you can move them back to an IMAP folder and then sync again?

That's a question. I mean, it should work. Even if it's just moving them all to a temporary directory.

Maybe you can move them back to an IMAP folder and then sync again?

That's a question. I mean, it should work. Even if it's just moving them all to a temporary directory.
The main issue the program was having was that it somehow was looking for the wrong Thunderbird folder to import from. After digging around some more, I found the Thunderbird and Betterbird folders that were not being removed when the programs were uninstalled. Renamed them and installed Betterbird again, this time using IMAP. Betterbird then synced with my Gmail account and downloaded all my emails again. Only about 2500 in total and most (2/3) are not really all that important. I'm just lazy :D. I'll go through them and move the important ones to a folder and delete the rest one day. Yup! One day .....

this time using IMAP

I kind of figured that'd work while not being the optimal solution. I've been an IMAP fan for many, many years. I'm not sure why POP3 is even still around.

Latest posts