Foxclone creating a folder

JohnJ

Reaction score
Credits
I have posted below on the 'Linux Mint Forums' web page but haven't heard back.
I have backed up a Foxclone image to my separate partition in my onboard drive on my laptop and before I did this I went through the Create Folder process as per the FoxcloneV50 manual (point 35 in the manual) but it doesn't create a folder. I want to create a folder and place my Foxclone backup in there. I have also tried to create a folder via file manager but can't find a location/button to do this. The only way I was able to delete the Foxclone files without a folder is to reformat the partition. As the manual says, I need to create a folder in order delete backup files (point 47 in the manual). Thank you

G'day John, If you don't achieve any success here, I will show you how to achieve the same outcome via Rescuezilla.

I will wait until @bob466 comes online and hopefully is able sort it out for you.

( I save backups to a partition on an external Drive. Before I start I simply go to that partition, right click and open it as root...then right click and click on create a new folder.)
Not sure if the above will help with foxclone.....I have never used it

G'day John, If you don't achieve any success here, I will show you how to achieve the same outcome via Rescuezilla.

I will wait until @bob466 comes online and hopefully is able sort it out for you.

( I save backups to a partition on an external Drive. Before I start I simply go to that partition, right click and open it as root...then right click and click on create a new folder.)
Not sure if the above will help with foxclone.....I have never used it
G'day Condo. Thanks for that. Yes, I just finally worked out that I need to open the partition as root then I right clicked and made a folder. So far so good. Would be nice to do this in foxclone and maybe Bob will be able to help. Do you have a particular preference for Rescuezilla? There are quite a few of these sorts of image backup types around and it's hard to pick one. All have their champions and their detractors. Maybe it's just personal preference and how one's system is setup.

Do you have a particular preference for Rescuezilla?
Yes I do.
I have found over time (roughly 12 - 18 months that I can rely on it.

@KGIII said somewhere that a backup is totally useless to you if it will not restore

Which, when you think about it, is damn obvious......but how many people actually restore a backup to make sure the damn thing actually works ?

R'zilla has a 'Verify Backup' button....which I click on after taking said backup.....and it forever tells me that is is verified....the
sf blahblah folder is present....apparently that tells you that everything is ok.

I decided to take the test a step further.

After taking the backup and verifying it....I Clicked on RESTORE......and followed the prompts.

It worked...seamlessly ....I still do that from time to time....and it works every time.

(I held my breath the first time !!)

I think (from memory) that foxclone has an advantage in being able to restore or clone (forget which it is) to a different size drive.
R'zilla will not restore to a smaller drive....eg my nvme (ssd) is 250GB. The Linux system on there occupies approx 37GB....If I take a backup and try to restore it to a different drive....say 120GB...it will not do it. That is foxclones advantage. ( I will leave it to @bob466 to verify that)

I do not see myself ever getting a smaller drive than 250GB....and if I do, it will probably be for some particular purpose, and in that case I will just do a fresh install. Quick and easy.

Last edited:
Great. Thanks for that. I too like to test everything (and I mean everything) to make sure that stuff actually works. Will let you know how I get on with Foxclone.:cool:

The best way is to create a folder on an External Drive and name it. With the External Drive plugged in...boot to Foxclone and when you get to...Save to File...click it and select your folder double click to open...then click...Save and away you go.
m1213.gif

Instructions here...https://www.foxclone.org/uguide.html

Another one you can try is...Redorescue...http://redorescue.com/ works much the same as Foxclone...I use both...hope this helps.
m1212.gif

The best way is to create a folder on an External Drive and name it. With the External Drive plugged in...boot to Foxclone and when you get to...Save to File...click it and select your folder double click to open...then click...Save and away you go.
m1213.gif

Instructions here...https://www.foxclone.org/uguide.html

Another one you can try is...Redorescue...http://redorescue.com/ works much the same as Foxclone...I use both...hope this helps.
m1212.gif
Thanks Bob. Understood. Will also checkout redorescue.

Yeah, my eyes are really straining to read white text on dark backgrounds sadly.

I'm the opposite. The bright colors bug my eyes.

At one point I tried a light theme that defaulted to a dark theme but people could still select the light theme. It was just a horrible kludge and caused weird errors that I have neither the skill nor time to fix.

As much as I'd like to help, I really can't do so. You're the only one to mention it in hundreds of thousands of visits. So, I guess it's acceptable to most people.

I'll use Firefox Colors to switch back and forth then.

I had no idea such a thing existed. I use an extension to keep my browsers in dark mode. Unless whitelisted, the 'net is dark for me. My eyes definitely prefer it.

On the subject of backups......and testing them to ensure that if the occasion arose, they would, in fact, restore properly

on Rescuezilla, there is an ability to verify the integrity of the backup just made. I use it, each and every time.

I look for the line "Sfdisk partition is present" ..if there has been a failure that line is not present. Although I have read that the sf partition line does not have to be present....

Aside from restoring the backup or noting the sfdisk thingie.....is there another way I can be sure the backup is restorable?

IMG_2633.jpg

Last edited:
is there another way I can be sure the backup is restorable?

I'd rely on that verification but every now and then I'd go ahead and restore that data just to make sure it's working as expected - and to ensure you know how to deal with a catastrophic data loss without panicking.

For me it's backing up everything on the Drive...not just a few files...that's the old days.
m1213.gif

Both Foxclone and Redorescue do that and have a verify tool...nothing worse than creating an image only to find when restoring it it's bad.
t3603.gif

I've been using Foxclone for years and it's never let me down.
m1212.gif

Staff online

Members online