For those using older Machines Debian may not be supportive much longer.

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits

They said a couple of years back, that they would drop 32 bit support around 2025

Yup. They'd mentioned this before. I am not surprised.

Most computers that I've had in the past that had 32 bit Windows OS installed would run 64 bit Linux without any problem.

Unless you have a computer that is really old such as Windows 3.1x or Windows 98 running 64 bit Linux shouldn't be any problem.

But as already mentioned ya had to know that it would eventually happen.

People who still use a 32-bit capable CPU should ask a replacement to Santa-Clause, isn't it ? ;-)
It's been long over-due, after all...

Cheers,
Eddy

Most computers that I've had in the past that had 32 bit Windows OS installed would run 64 bit Linux without any problem.
That was a marketing ploy by Microsoft, where they supplied machine builders with a cheap 32 bit OS which only needed minimal ram, then the mugs that bought them would have to pay for more ram and a 64 bit licence to make it usable with modern wind apps.

Another reason to reject "Trixie" which is going to be another step backward, because for me "Bookworm" has been a major disappointment in some areas. With Wine in particular. Also how impressively it consumes disk space with the "required" non-free firmware and such. Also the bungling lately with the Linux kernels. Way to go, we're going to see even more of this when "Trixie" becomes the stable. "Bullseye" FTW. Until I finally figure out how to get full "multilib" on Slackware 64-bit. LOL.

BTW heads up there's the Linux kernel for Debian v6.1.0-16-amd64 and other things to upgrade. Not a new "release" of "Bookworm".

People who still use a 32-bit capable CPU should ask a replacement to Santa-Clause, isn't it ? ;-)
With the emoticon, you cannot say that to certain people.

It's rude to "ask for replacement" when some people cannot afford a more powerful computer than the 32-bit thing had for at least 10 years. I speak from experience. Without Internet for 8 years besides because I couldn't afford it and I cannot afford it for much longer.

If I were able to get Internet around this time, rather than early last year, I would have greatly wished to have one of the two laptops I lost which had WindowsXP. Linux 64-bit, what for? I don't care. :p I don't care if Debian does things to survive. The non-free firmware in "Bookworm", go 64-bit only in "Trixie", what/who else will they leave behind in releases in the future? They're not going to be the only ones and weren't the first ones but... I could only wish I could say I don't care.

Sorry it's December and it's a difficult time of year for me. I guess I had to remind about that in my previous post.

Sorry it's December and it's a difficult time of year for me....

I understand - my wife of 24 years passed away May last year and this will be my 2nd Xmas without her.

Also, I am a Disability Pensioner, so not a lot of cash to splash.

I do not think for a moment that Eddie was being intentionally rude, nor flippant.

Take care

Chris

I say use what you already have if it does what you need to do.

The was a couple of members on another forum I used to frequent that always bragged about their new super computer purchases.

Although at the same time both of them would complain of all of the problems they encountered with them.

Myself yes I can afford new although TBH I prefer old seasoned desktop computers that I can buy cheap or that are given to me.

I use Easy OS my computer needs require very little no high powered super computer needed here.

, because for me "Bookworm" has been a major disappointment in some areas.
I agree Bookworm is disappointing, tried 2 major Linux distros based on Bookworm and both were problematic on my desktops.

For me at my age if it don't work OOTB I don't need to have it or use it because I just don't have any patience no more.

I think there's a lot of new changes coming to Linux and therefore there will be some issues that come with those new changes.

For now I'll stay with Easy OS it works OOTB on my desktops.

I do not think for a moment that Eddie was being intentionally rude, nor flippant.
No, not at all ! I really do not want to hurt someone's feelings, if I unintentionally did -> sorry about that !

Eddy

Members online