For those looking for new laptops.

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
If you are in the market for new laptop you may want to consider the new Lenovo thinkpads.
Also Hp is sponsoring the framework series with one that is user repairable.

I like the look of the repairable HP's......and not to be outdone, Lenovo is on the same track. Repairable

A step in the right direction, but they are not repairable, they just have swappable daughter boards and modules,

Someone 'clever' has done some 'design work' with the word 'repairable'...?

In other words, it doesn't mean what it has meant for the past hundreds of years

If you get a few skills, a cheap video microscope, and learn to deal with surface mount tech - a whole lot of things become repairable. It's often something pretty simple. You just need to take the time to learn how to fix it.

You can even reflow entire PCBs in a toaster oven.

If you get a few skills, a cheap video microscope, and learn to deal with surface mount tech - a whole lot of things become repairable. It's often something pretty simple. You just need to take the time to learn how to fix it.

You can even reflow entire PCBs in a toaster oven.
You definitely have to have more patience than I have.
I have done some surface mount board repair very tedious.
I guess having the proper tools would be a lot better although.

You definitely have to have more patience than I have.

To be completely clear, as much as I'd love to use Apple's new hardware I will not buy it because of how anti-repair (and upgrade) the hardware is.

Also, I own the gear and have done a bit but I live in a disposable world. I've got better things to do with my time.

Thanks for sharing, Dave

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Having pulled apart and repaired damaged laptops that are HP and Lenovo, I'd opt for Lenovo if I jhad to choose but I personally like Asus myself.

I've worked on a few laptops way to many screws and other fragile PITA stuff to have to deal with when they break throw the laptop and buy a new one.

I agree laptops and most other modern electronics are disposables products and aren't worth any effort to repair imo.

Desktops are a better choice although some of them aren't much better imo.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts