Food Favs

Which mod did that? It surely wasn't me. Heck, I don't even edit it when I see others do so - I give 'em a gentle reminder that we're PG-13.
Actually it was you and what has always been said is how and I quote "We're a PG-13 site." and that's cool it's the rules I get it.

(I will edit out the F bomb when I see it.)
I don't use the F word on the forum.

And, nah, feel free to complain if you think it's unfair. You won't be banned for that, so long as you're civil about it.
Nah I deal directly with the source of the matter and no one else.

I don't see any reason to not keep everything on a civil level after all we are adults.

Anyway I'm satisfied and you did offer to change it.

Leave it as it is Chicken Poop sounds nasty.

Here let me buy ya a shot.

1673478590403.png

Anyway I'm satisfied and you did offer to change it.

Consider it done - and I don't recall ever admonishing anyone for munged bad language. It could have happened, 'cause man I've made a lot of posts. If I did, that'd be unfair - especially considering I generally let 'em slide and just remind folks that we're aiming for a PG-13 site. I let the munged stuff go 'cause, well, they even use that in daily comic strips.

Now, if you called someone a f*cking a$$h0l3, I might say something.

Here let me buy ya a shot.

Ugh... I never refuse a shot. Well, almost never...

But, I finished all my dinner, so I can have a glass of wine. If you're ever up this way, food and wine are on me! I suppose that's a standing offer for most anyone here, though I may have to ensure the missus is okay with it. Before we were married, I had online people visit with some regularity, but that's a topic for another day.

Hmm... We should do a Linux.org "Meet-Up".

Since not all live in Cincinnati, Ohio and do not have a Servati's Bakery I shall describe the bread. It is a loaf of Cinnamon Bread you can get either sliced or not. The difference is that they roll the bread with Cinnamon throughout not just on top.

Soooo you either need to find the same or need to make your own.

Grandma's Cinnamon Bread Recipe.

3 cups milk
3/4 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla

Combine the Milk, sugar and eggs mix well.
Slice the bread into cubes pour over the liquid mix easy and well.
Bake @ 350 F 45-60 minutes

Lemon Sauce

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tsp corn starch
2 Tsp of lemon zest 1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup water

Combine sugar water and corn starch, in a pan.
Bring to slow boil stirring well, reduce to simmer.
Remove from heat and stir in butter lemon zest and lemon juice.
Pour over serving of Cinnamon bread pudding.

Bonus.

For pork or chicken or even as a spread with breakfast sausage.
Jar of applesauce, put into pan at medium heat, stir in Red Hots candy. It will turn a lovely shade of pink.

Wizard's Spaghetti Bolognese

Ingredients

I use

1 to 1.3 kg (2.2 to 2.9 lbs) premium beef mince

2 bacon rashers or 3 - 4 pieces shortcut bacon (no tails, no rind)

1 large onion or 2 medium onions (I use brown onions)

2 large or 3 small cloves of garlic, or a teaspoon of crushed garlic from jar

Tin of champignons pieces and stems or 3 large button mushrooms.

1 large carrot or 2 - 3 large baby carrots

1 green or red capsicum (bell pepper)

1 zucchini

Up to 3 types of pasta - I use white thin spaghetti, brown wholemeal spaghetti and green spinach fettucine

1 tin diced or crushed tomatoes. These sometimes have basil and oregano in them.

tomato sauce (ketchup)

Occasionally if I have left over tinned garden peas or sweet corn kernels I'll toss some in near the finish.

Utensils

1 large frypan, mine is like a wok with a long handle (a friend actually uses a wok)

1 large saucepan

1 colander (sieve)

1 sharp knife (I use a carving knife)

1 heat-resistant plastic spoon, mine is black

Preparation time 20 minutes

Unwrap the mince and have it ready to put in the frypan

I peel onions tears-free and slice lengthways and several times cross-ways, or into small chunks.

Peel and crush or thinly slice garlic if not using from a jar.

Dice bacon

Slice carrot into small chunks, I leave the skin on and use right down to the end.

Capsicum (pepper) I slice off a quarter to a third with a plastic picnic basket knife (lasts longer if not touched by stainless steel) and then slice thin, binning seeds from that part.

Zucchini slice thinly, use whole zucchini.

Pasta a half a handful of my three types, I mix them in the saucepan and add a little cooking salt.

I place the rest of the other ingredients into the frypan, and add the full tin of champignons pieces and stems. I drain off the excess water, but the water remaining goes in and I do not need to otherwise prepare the frypan.

I put a heaped teaspoon of my crushed garlic in, dispersed in small amounts at various points in the frypan.

tjvw89Y.jpg

Cooking

My frypan has a mostly glass lid with a metal surround, slotted to allow venting of excessive steam. I place that on top and cook the vegetables (not the capsicum/pepper) on high for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then spoon the mix into a large tupperware bowl and seal a lid on it to keep warm and stand aside.

I then place the mince into the frypan, still switched on high and use the plastic spoon to break up the mince into bite-sized chunks and replace the lid and cook on high for 5 - 8 minutes then turn to half heat.

I switch the pasta saucepan onto high and when it starts to boil I stir it with my eating fork being sure none of it sticks to the bottom of the saucepan. I then turn it down to half and will ultimately turn it down to low near the finish.

At the same time as I switch on the pasta, I add a quarter tin of the diced tomatoes to the mince after spooning or flipping it over to the other side to cook more. A few minutes later, I add the sliced capsicum, stirring it in with the mince (I like it a little crisp). I then return the prepared vegetables from the tupperware bowl to the saucepan

Coming up to the finish line, I add a figure 8 of tomato sauce to the mince and vegetables and stir it in. and replace the lid and turn to low heat. 3 or 4 minutes later I turn the knobs to zero.

I pour the pasta into a colander (sieve) placed in the sink and let it drain for a minute then use kitchen tongs to place a quantity on a dinner plate, leaving a little behind.

I spoon a quantity of the mince and vegetables on top and then it's away to the TV for serving one. I have left the cooktop appliance switch on for now.

I am a glutton for this stuff, so a couple of commercial breaks after I have finished serving 1 (or by pausing a video from the set top box) I go back for serving 2.

This will be slightly smaller, and I will add to the top shredded cheese and a liberal sprinkling of parsley flakes. I cook that on high in the microwave (1,000 watts) for 1 minute, then it's back to the TV, after switching the cooktop appliance switch off.

Next morning I distribute the remaining mince and vegetables into 3 containers (if I have bought the larger size of mince), seal and place in the freezer. Along with the three-quarters of a tin of unused diced tomatoes in its own small container.

For the next 3 Saturday nights, I simply thaw out one of the containers of mince and vegetables, slice off a third of the remaining frozen diced tomatoes, add a slice or two of bacon, zucchini and capsicum and sliced button mushrooms, and away I go with another meal (two plates). For those nights, preparation and cooking time is as little as 15 - 20 minutes in total.

Preparation time

first night 25 - 30 minutes.

Cooking time

first night 25 - 30 minutes.

Serves 6 - 8 depending on quantity of mince used.

9elmt2g.jpg

ROUND 1

zLNUi4N.jpg

ROUND 2

Cheers

Wizard

Today is Pi Day, even in Australia for another hour or two.

The "traditional" dinner in our home tonight will be pizza with pumpkin pie for dessert.

Next up: Reuben sandwiches for St. Patrick's Day.

Cucumber sandwich, mayo, salt, pepper.

I quote "First, a generic rule: We're a PG-13 site." I guess that rule only apply to members.

You seem to be confused about non-sensical american movie standards: "Shit" makes a movie PG-13 here because that moves beyond "family friendly fun time". I am not defending US standards, because accordingly sexual content gets a more restrictive rating than fictional murder and torture (even when there's a lot of blood and gore...), but I am compassionate towards our moderation system which permits light cussing yet bans the heavily obscene stuff.

It's nothing more than a compromise: it would seem silly on a forum geared towards adults to ban talking about shit, especially when fecal matter is not what's truly meant, but no sane parent would be incredibly indignant/offended by the things we talk about here. Hint, hint: it's actually about general standards, keeping the forum on track to have fun conversations about computers, OSes, and other things, and being respectful about parents who have to deal with their kids surfing the internet.

We actually try to avoid all swear words, just to make it more clear. There are young kids that visit the site. It'd be a shame if a parent happened to shoulder surf and tell them they can't use the site due to language concerns. (Putting it in quotes doesn't make it better.)

i really wanna know how yor mum cook custard puffs i love custard
Custard is easy eggs, milk sugar, vanilla and bake. When I make my Grandma's Custard Cinnamon Bread Recipe above, I have custard left over and put in baking dishes, just use the recipe minus the Cinnamon Bread cubes. Once you have the custard you can then get something like Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls in the tube or Croissants just shape them bake them and squeeze in some custard already made once cooled.

my choice of food, is like my choice of music, very eclectic, but I am partial to either Lamb or Beef Stifado, Madras/Rogan josh curries, any sea food except Octopus

Squirrel, rabbit, groundhog
1 ) Putt at least a twelve pack of beer on ice. (No light beer please)
2 ) Use fresh clean squirrel, rabbit or young groundhog.
3 ) Marinate in a 3% salt brine over night.
4) Use your favorite extra crispy fried chicken recipe cutting any salt buy 1/2.
5 ) Deep fry in a big pot of lard, cotton seed or peanut oil as you would chicken.
6 ) Drain on a wire rack.
7) Eat and drink any beer that is left.

DO NOT use possum, coon or skunk.

I love me some rabbit - and absolutely do the brine soak. I use a half cup per four cups of water.

I can plink rabbits from my porch. To make it sporting, I use a Ruger Mk. II more often than not. The dog will even go pick them up for me. I've never eaten groundhog. I have eaten squirrel.

I've never eaten groundhog
if you do get one be sure to remove the scent glands they’re small about the size of a pea around the armpits along the back and near the genitals.
The dog will even go pick them up for me.
Rat "my jack russell" would catch them and bring them in the house to my mother.
:D They werent always dead Butt she was always MAD! :D

if you do get one be sure to remove the scent glands they’re small about the size of a pea around the armpits along the back and near the genitals.

Duly noted. I never see them on my property. I'm not even sure if we can legally kill them for food.

Sauerkraut

An excellent use of extra cabbage is sauerkraut! This is a fermented cabbage like kimchi that is very popular in Eastern Europe. It's very easy to make and only requires cabbage and salt.

First: shred your cabbage, or slice it thinly. Save one large outer leaf. Weight it out on a kitchen scale in grams, then calculate 2.5% of the weight. This is the amount of salt you will use.

Measure out your salt and add to the cabbage in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly, then leave it alone for twenty minutes. When you come back, start squeezing fistfuls of cabbage and get all the cabbage water out.

Once thoroughly squeezed, grab a large clean glass jar, and start pressing your cabbage in there. Every time you add cabbage, punch it down so more water comes out. Once you have added all your cabbage, punch it down to ensure your brine is above the cabbage. This is the most important step!!! This is what causes fermentation instead of molding.

Take the large outer leaf you saved, and use it as a weight to make sure the cabbage stays down below the water. Use a coffee filter as a lid and secure it with an elastic band. Now store it somewhere dark.

It's technically done after 10 days, but I personally let it go for 21 days. I like mine very sour!

Once it's done, you have a super food! Sauerkraut is very good for gut health, and it's so tasty! You can eat it straight, or make other foods with it, such as bigos (a sauerkraut cabbage meat stew), pierogies (polish dumplings), or in a casserole with sausages and fried onion.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Make a slaw (cabbage, onion, some carrot, all thinly sliced) and use that with fish tacos, or on top of shredded BBQ beef or chicken sandwiches, or fried chicken/tofu sandwiches, or just plainly shredded on vegetarian tacos/wraps.

Add to a stir-fry with a bunch of other vegetables: broccoli, carrots, green onions, mushrooms, baby bok choy, baby corn, bell peppers, etc.

Makes for one hell of a long lasting meal...Store it in a air tight container

Today, in between bits of auction, I made lasagna with ground moose.

It was delicious, and there's some for lunch tomorrow.

Not that bloody Moose again.
m0103.gif

Not that bloody Moose again.
m0103.gif

Moose are many things, and among them is delicious.

It's still considered venison, but it's a bit gamier (not much) than whitetail deer. I did not get my moose permit this year, which is a bit surprising. It means I'll almost certainly get my permit next year. It is doneon a lottery basis and I get bonus points for being indigenous. So, I'll get a moose tag next year and will certainly be able to fill my tag.

Latest posts