Floppies :)

1.jpeg

But the Wally World's software is smooth

I assume you mean with Linux. That's definitely impressive and I would not have expected that.

But, if you have something truly rare, making an image/uploading the .exe to archive.org is a wonderful idea. There's a lot of lost software out there and they're given library status so you won't get into any trouble for doing so.

I assume you mean with Linux. That's definitely impressive and I would not have expected that.

But, if you have something truly rare, making an image/uploading the .exe to archive.org is a wonderful idea. There's a lot of lost software out there and they're given library status so you won't get into any trouble for doing so.
Nope, Sadly that is Windows, OpenRGB can control the lighting in Mint. Not the same flexibility though. It does the whole board but not individual.

As to the stuff on the floppies, i can just convert the files to IMG and upload them to Internet Archive.

Ah... That's what I figured but was hopeful it was otherwise.
At least there is some Linux control. The base color when turned on it reverts to green, Minty green, so I just kinda leave it that way now. The others, the MSI the Red Dragon TenKeyLess without software are blue. With the TenKeyLess though, if I set it up in windows then boot into Mint it actually saves the last setting to the Keyboard. Even if I switch it to another PC, which is cool.

At least there is some Linux control.

I tend to use cheaper keyboards that don't have any software. You just control the RGB with the keys on the keyboard. For a while I was kind of into more expensive keyboards but I kept ruining them.

I bought a cheap Rosewill keyboard that's very impressive for the price. Because it was so good I went to buy at least a couple of spares. It was already sold out. I found a few 'open box' just the other day and bought those for about 60% off.

I just went down and grabbed a new in box 450W ATX PS, to finish my retro build and what do you know, A whole Socket A AMD Athlon ASROCK still in the case, with floppy drive and dvd, and PS still installed, no cooler vid card or CPU but I have all those. Just hook up the LS-120 to the IDE and an IDE HD and away we go. Needs a bit of dust cleaning.

I just started on the keyboards, because I like the way the switches are over a membrane one. The Wally World was 40 bucks, the TKL was 40 plus the switches and caps 20 about 60 in the end, and the keyboard should last. This all started because my low profile ESC key was not always working and I could not change the switch. I like the volume knob. Then I just found a USB DAC with button Vol control I used to use casting from a Laptop to my tv and plugged in speakers, instead of the TV ones. It is plug and play on VOL and solves my VOL knob on keyboard. I am such a geek.

and the keyboard should last.

Mechanical keyboards survive better, but so many of my keyboards end up drinking wine.

I don't actually get drunk all that often, it's that I do a lot of my computing in the dark.

Due to an automobile wreck, I put a computer in my bedroom with the keyboard and monitor on the nightstand. I'm upstairs right now - on that computer! That keyboard tends to get liquids in it.

keyboards don't drink.

You'd think so... ;)

Anyhow, mechanical keyboards can get really expensive really fast.

You should let us know if/when you've archived stuff. I could go for some time with an emulator poking at old shareware. I ran my own BBS for a while but stopped when I realized I couldn't afford it.

Ran into a problem with the Abit MB. Cleaned it as best I could. Just was not consistent in IDE controller. Had another Board. Same socket A Athlon. Switched it out noticed the PS fan not even trying. Bearing was sluggish. Switched it will another fan. Hit the Power switch. POP. Clear Electric pop came from the CPU. removed heat sink, Athlon has a small die and transistors around the edges. One end under a scope was popped open. OOPPS. First time I ever blew up a CPU. But I have 3 More Athlons and a Sempron. Looked on my shelves. Brand new in the static bag, Soyo MB. Socket A. Grabbed another CPU, and this MB had a 4 pin CPU connector, so more power. Booted into BIOS fine. That little Athlon runs circles around the old Intel from the HP Compaq. Even though it is 10 years newer.

SO far though no luck on Linux Distros. 32 Bit, MX would not. Q4 error. SUSE would not format. Gonna try a few more. Hit Internet Archive found an ISO for DOS, Win95, and 98 and Partition magic someone put together. It worked great. Tried that on another HD got 95 installed, upgraded to 98SE which I have. need to switch out the floppy drive the motor sounds bad. I will redo the 98 HD as it sounds better than the one in there now. Got to burn a GParted CD, if I have the 98 HD in there, even though I change the Boot Seq. Win will take over. Old BIOS menu. Sees the USB drive but ignores and jumps to Windows. It will Boot from the DVD instead of the HD but so far too many Distros, not willing to work. They all crap out on the format, or after hitting Install they fail to boot. Never had this many problems installing Linux through the years. Wondering if the ISO's are updated, maintained or Stored and Maintained. Gotta see if Archives has older ones, as I am thinking they update the ISO's.

Members online