Floorp browser

gillsman

Reaction score
Credits
Just out of interest I wondered if anyone is using this browser & if so do you regard it as an improvement on Firefox and why, also I noticed that as of time of writing this, it is based on Firefox 115.7.0 which is a few versions behind Firefox, my main concern of course is new security holes not being addressed, for myself I have enabled encrypted client hello in Firefox as an extra layer of security but I believe you can only do that in version 118 so therefore not Floorp as it stands.
I have installed it to try & it seems a little faster than Firefox.
Any general thoughts on Floorp?

Just out of interest I wondered if anyone is using this browser & if so do you regard it as an improvement on Firefox and why, also I noticed that as of time of writing this, it is based on Firefox 115.7.0 which is a few versions behind Firefox, my main concern of course is new security holes not being addressed, for myself I have enabled encrypted client hello in Firefox as an extra layer of security but I believe you can only do that in version 118 so therefore not Floorp as it stands.
I have installed it to try & it seems a little faster than Firefox.
Any general thoughts on Floorp?
I've never heard of it. I just use Firefox. Seems plenty fast to me.

I mainly use FF with add on's and occasionally Anonsurf

This info is just 5 days old....

This info is just 5 days old....

OK i'm confused, on that site it says "ensuring up-to-date security even before Firefox's releases." but in my Floorp in settings under the general tab it says Version 11.90.0 Firefox 115.7.0 whereas in Firefox itself the version is 122.0.1

Confusion reigns !

Personally, I will stick with Brave. A little complicated to set up, but once done it is good to use.

If Brave goes screwy, I will almost certainly use Waterfox. It appears to be quite solid and reliable.....and it is available via the Software Manager in Linux Mint

OK i'm confused, on that site it says "ensuring up-to-date security even before Firefox's releases." but in my Floorp in settings under the general tab it says Version 11.90.0 Firefox 115.7.0 whereas in Firefox itself the version is 122.0.1
Right, I understand now, I had not realised that it's based on Firefox ESR and not the mainline version, so the question now is simply is ESR safe as it is not as up to date

Confusion reigns !

Personally, I will stick with Brave. A little complicated to set up, but once done it is good to use.

If Brave goes screwy, I will almost certainly use Waterfox. It appears to be quite solid and reliable.....and it is available via the Software Manager in Linux Mint
I'm happy with Firefox so I will probably stick with that, I do have Brave on my system too, I think it's good to have more than one browser. I'll put it down to personal taste then, always good to get others views.

Since you are concerned for security holes just use FF, if you want my opinion. If we all change browser for few milliseconds of faster loading we would all use chrome

Since you are concerned for security holes just use FF, if you want my opinion. If we all change browser for few milliseconds of faster loading we would all use chrome
Yes I am sticking with FF but if we never try out new software we would be potentially be missing out, so it was worth taking a look but I agree sometimes "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

so the question now is simply is ESR safe as it is not as up to date
ESR= extended service release, it is the version used by distros such as Parrot, MX, and others aimed at the more security conscious business user

I tend to stay with Firefox because you never know if any of those derivatives are going to last, whether that be Chromium or Firefox derivatives.

Right, I understand now, I had not realised that it's based on Firefox ESR and not the mainline version, so the question now is simply is ESR safe as it is not as up to date
ESR receives all the security updates but not all the latest features, not until they are tested for a period in the regular firefox

ESR = for those who value stability.

It's effectively the LTS release of Ubuntu.

I suspect the most usage is in the enterprise sector, but I've not done any digging for stats or anything of that nature. I like LTS stuff, though don't tend to use ESR for my browser.

Staff online