External SSD don't work on Linux, but work with Windows. Please help me!

Hmm... You inspired me. I went looking for a big SSD. I found one near 16 GB - from a reliable source and brand:

The price is not for the faint of heart.

4 TB is relatively cheap:

Hmm... You inspired me. I went looking for a big SSD. I found one near 16 GB - from a reliable source and brand:

The price is not for the faint of heart.

4 TB is relatively cheap:

Everything in Australia is more expensive, I know why I can't buy a 16TB SSD here...because no one in their right mind would pay $US3200 for one.
scared0011.gif

As a mater of fact, it wasn't till three years ago I bought my first Internal SSD because they were just too expensive.
sad0013.gif

I created an image of Linux Mint Cinnamon on my 500GB HDD and put it on the new 500GB SSD and the boot time was slashed by half...everything on the SSD runs like lightning.
happy0034.gif

because no one in their right mind would pay $US3200 for one.

I theory, I could buy a 16TB SSD. It wouldn't make me go broke or anything. I will not be buying one any time soon.

But, like you said, nobody in their right mind would pay that much for one - with my one caveat being "unless they truly needed it for some application that couldn't be filled in any other way".

Hmm... I'll try to imagine a scenario where it might be useful...

Like, let's say you want to launch an unmanned submarine that includes many sensors and collects gobs of high definition audio and video and it only surfaces every six months... (In which case, the cost of this drive would be equivalent to a rounding error.)

It might be useful for something like that.

I'm pretty sure that my NAS has 24 TB and isn't even halfway full - and most of what is stored on it isn't really vital.

I theory, I could buy a 16TB SSD. It wouldn't make me go broke or anything. I will not be buying one any time soon.

But, like you said, nobody in their right mind would pay that much for one - with my one caveat being "unless they truly needed it for some application that couldn't be filled in any other way".

Hmm... I'll try to imagine a scenario where it might be useful...

Like, let's say you want to launch an unmanned submarine that includes many sensors and collects gobs of high definition audio and video and it only surfaces every six months... (In which case, the cost of this drive would be equivalent to a rounding error.)

It might be useful for something like that.

I'm pretty sure that my NAS has 24 TB and isn't even halfway full - and most of what is stored on it isn't really vital.
When I was in Afghanistan as an Army contractor we had several such large drives on a rack to store data from radar imagery, then we transmitted it to Sandia National Labs via satellite - but like you said it was special purpose

LOL I don't see too many people buying one to store their pirated movie collection, but there are those data hoarders on Reddit who pride themselves on how much data they've archived.

I remember a friend years ago had a packard bell computer that came with a big 20GB PATA HDD and USB 1...of cause it wouldn't work today.
happy0009.gif

Members online