ET TU, RED HAT? (And you, Red Hat?)

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

It is interesting one of the last commercial security appliances I worked on was basically CentOs under the hood. I suspect there were quite a few others doing the same. It will be interesting to see how many folks will be out there negotiating with Red Hat or move along. The world of serious Linux OS distros is probably going to get a bit smaller

SPECULATION FOLLOWS!

Rocky and Alma have both indicated that they'll be just fine and able to continue making RHEL clones for those who want stability and length of support.

Folks who want access to the source code can sign up, for free, as a developer. It's a bit more awkward, but it works - for now.

So, I think we're going to be just fine. I don't expect RHEL to lose much if any, business - and they will likely continue to grow. They do have a history of giving back to the community, specifically with all sorts of code. Millions of lines of code have been paid for by the folks behind RHEL. I expect that to continue.

All of the above is just speculation - but it is speculation based on history.

I have zero insight but I'm not a fan of spreading FUD. I have no insider knowledge but I do not think the sky is falling. We humans are naught but panicky herd-beasts and it shows. I'll wait to see the outcome. I could just as easily be wrong.

I will point out that there are options like Ubuntu Pro. With Ubuntu Pro (a horrible name I know - but a lovely option) you can get 10 years of support from an LTS release. They even expended it (when naming it Pro instead of Advantage) to include a bunch of other software - like an entire other repository's worth of software.

This is perfectly free for up to 3 devices. (In my case, it's free for up to 50 devices.)

It's actually pretty sweet and lets you live-patch the kernel instead of rebooting immediately when you get a kernel upgrade. I've personally used this and am currently using it on several devices.

I do not know enough about SUSE, but they probably have a similar option (to the RHEL option where it's free for developers). You'd have to look into that, but SUSE is the very definition of "serious Linux distro" - as is Ubuntu. You just have to look in the right places.

Members online