"end Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception" during the installation Red Hat 8

KeYunLong

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I'm learning Linux. Until now, I used Centos 7 and I didn't have any issue.
I wanted to check Red Hat 8, so I downloaded " Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.4 Boot ISO" (later I tested 8.6 as well)
I attach screenshots from the installation to let you know that I'm not doing any mistakes.

screenshot 1.jpg

screenshot 2.jpg

screenshot 3.jpg

screenshot 4.jpg

screenshot 5.jpg

screenshot 6.jpg

screenshot 7.jpg

screenshot 8.jpg

screenshot 9.jpg

My troubleshooting steps:

Windows Virtualization functions enabled and disabled (tested both)

"Go to your virtual machine -> Settings -> System
Then change Chipset from PIIX3 to ICH9 and enable "Enable IO APIC" <- tested

intel virtualization mode on bios enabled

Do you have any other idea?

Centos 7 is working perfectly fine. I didn't have any issue with installation or running.

UPDATES:

1. I selected red hat on that type list of VBox
2. I downloaded Centos 8 from http://mirror.niif.hu/centos/8-stream/isos/x86_64/ and the problem is the same.

Workaround: VMware Workstation is working absolutely fine, but I prefer to make my labs on Oracle VM.

Thank you in advance,
KeYunLong

Last edited:

Do you have any other idea?
I think VBox has red hat on that type list, so you could try that; instead of choosing Linux, choose red hat.
1658581319057.png

I totally forgot about. Unfortunately, even after I changed it - I deleted the old machine and created a new one - it didn't help.

I tested for both - Red hat (64-bit) and Other Linux (64-bit) the same error message.

I switched from NAT to Bridged adapter to test boot on both network settings - no difference.

any other idea guys?

Workaround found: tested RHEL 8 on VMware workstation - I successfully installed and launched linux there.

It seems that something is wrong with my Oracle VM VirtualBox. It's not a version issue - I checked it and it's the most recent.

It's strange that on Oracle VM Centos 7 could be installed and run, but RHEL 8 and Centos 8 not...

It's strange that on Oracle VM Centos 7 could be installed and run, but RHEL 8 and Centos 8 not...

Not so strange, really. Those two OSes may have something new in them, something which VirtualBox is not yet equipped to deal with, thus causing the failures. It's not unknown for VBox to lag behind.

For whatever reason, VMware can work with whatever changes were made in RHEL 8 and CentOS 8. They'e proprietary, so we'll never really know what they're doing behind the scenes.