Drive Failure Imminent - Looking at Alternatives & Welcome Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your motherboard supports it I would go for an nvme ssd and your motherboard doesn't support I would go for an ssd with with supports sata.

OMG! I almost had a dang heart attack!
My brain is dealing with severe electric overload so I can barely process this! I thought I lost every single book mark because I had to change my Firefox password!
If your motherboard supports it I would go for an nvme ssd and your motherboard doesn't support I would go for an ssd with with supports sata.

OMG! I almost had a dang heart attack!
My brain is dealing with severe electric overload so I can barely process this! I thought I lost every single book

@f33dm3bits ....that is an excellent video re nvme drives.

1708023458484.png

@wizardfromoz

I'm posting a screen from "Disks". It's for the hard drive on this second Lenovo. It says the HDD is okay, but it has one bad sector.

Just a thought.

I reread your first post. Temp 88F.....you rebooted....Temp 66F etc etc

88F is not hot...it is the equivalent of around 31C....which is cool.

Until the drive actually grinds to a halt, I would take the high road and assume it is going to keep going...especially considering your latest post (one bad sector etc)

You have cats. Cats deposit fur....everywhere. (I grew up with 25+ cats )

Grab your vacuum cleaner.

Take a careful look for the ventilation holes/slots on that Lenovo....probably front and back.....

If you can see 'fluff'.......suck it out. If your vac is capable of blowing, it will not hurt to blow through those apertures as well..(gently if possible) (after sucking out any visible cat hair etc)

Then switch the lappie back on, and go on as if nothing has happened.

If it's just a bad sector, that's fine. Drives actually have the ability to ignore that. In the case of SSDs, they actually come with a tiny bit of extra storage that takes the place of a broken sector. (Well, at least some do. I can't speak about the entire industry.)

You need the S.M.A.R.T. data to really tell - but I believe Gnome Disks (what you appear to be using) can test that.

@Sherri is a Cat ....just to be super clear...we are talking about the original Lenovo which you installed LM21.3 on....Yes ?

@Sherri is a Cat ....just to be super clear...we are talking about the original Lenovo which you installed LM21.3 on....Yes ?

No, that image is for the 2nd Lenovo. Unless I put the OS on an external drive or if I'm desperate, I'm not going to mess with the first one.

I'll give this one a new name. "My Last Optio ". It was # 4's laptop. I'm thinking of taking it out and putting into the 1st Lenovo.

Order of preferences

1. Booh-kitty The ASUS
  2. Lenovo
  3. My last option
How's that? :D

So...

The 1 TB drive with a bad sector is My Last Option.

Just a thought.

I reread your first post. Temp 88F.....you rebooted....Temp 66F etc etc

88F is not hot...it is the equivalent of around 31C....which is cool.

Until the drive actually grinds to a halt, I would take the high road and assume it is going to keep going...especially considering your latest post (one bad sector etc)
Where you made the above description.....That is lenovo No.1 ?....with 21.3 installed ?

While I'm here and because I'm pressed for time...

Linux Mint has frozen up for the 3rd time today.
The first time I rebooted
The second I waited til I got a message that the desk top stopped responding
This third time I've been waiting a long time and it's still frozen, I can move the cursor, but there's a long delay. That's all I can do. Not the terminal, nothing

In Windows I could open the task manager to stop processes (every now and then it actually worked). To get into it you had to use Control +Alt+Del.

Surely Linux has a similar command that actually works?

click on menu...type in ...System Monitor....

It will be under Processes

Right click on the offending process.....

Take note, if you can, of the process that is responsible

Where you made the above description.....That is lenovo No.1 ?....with 21.3 installed ?

I'm a little anxious right now so I'm going to start over:p

This last image I posted is for the HDD in the second Lenovo. I used the USB drive I already had with Linux Mint 21.2

In Windows I could open the task manager to stop processes (every now and then it actually worked). To get into it you had to use Control +Alt+Del.

Try CTRL + ALT + F3...

Otherwise, reboot with REISUB if you can.

The menu won't open. Nothing will open. I can't move windows around. The only thing I can do is move the cursor and there's a long delay when I do.

I seriously need a shower so I think I'll do this...

I'm going it as is while I shower. If it's still frozen I have a couple options I have think of.

I guess I should to you I'm using my tablet now to communicate.

I'll be back bit one were or another!

<----
Laughing, screaming, huge chunks of hair slip from her hands as she falls to floor moaning....

Okay now,

All done.

Stands up.
Puts bandages on her head.
Takes a deep breathe
Sends message from tablet
Gets back tobusiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts