Ditching Bill's OS

Rockrz

Reaction score
Credits
I'm very happy to find a forum such as this with lots of knowledgeable Linux guys! I've visited a couples times now and have already seen a few very informative discussions going on concerning Linux and software (or apps) that run on Linux

I've been a PC user on "Bill's OS" since about 1999 when I got my first PC and I'm probably more knowledgeable using Bill's OS than the average person but not an expert by any means. Most of the things I've learned over the years were thru solving problems and thru doing a few upgrades to my box (and Lenovo laptops!) such as installing new hard drives, installing RAM and video cards, and fans, etc.

When version 8.0 of Bill's OS came out I was on a large help forum that is all about Bill's OS and there was a long thread by some computer nerd guys claiming that the new version 8 of Bill's OS had a back door built in to it that allows government, ISPs, etc to get in to your computer. Not sure if this is all true but it sounds like something that likely is true so I decided then that I needed to get away from Bill's OS at some point. I'm still using Bill's OS version 7 64 bit Pro currently.

My current PC is about 8 years old and still works fine but due to age I need to plan for my next computer. I work from home and rely on my computer a great deal. So much that I have a second system on standby since redundancy is always a good thing. In addition to lots of web surfing (don't we all...), I basically do general document handling using Bill's OS office, and I work a lot with PDF docs, I also use Photoscape for graphics and I also do a little web design. I'm also working with audio music files as I'm a vocalist (as a hobby, so not going on tour anytime soon!)

So, my last computer was made by Velocity Micro (which is over 8 years old, trouble free!) which is a company that builds computers and allows you to customize your build. Since I work a lot I'm not really wanting to build my own. I'd be perfectly happy getting one that has a powerful processor, lots of RAM, with SSD drives with Linux OS installed which they will do.

Velocity Micro installs and offer limited support for Ubuntu Linux 22.04 so that's probably the Linux version I'll be going with.

As I do more research concerning using Linux OS, I'll have lots of questions so thank you in advance for any help and advice you guys can provide. Over the years I've learned so much from others that are really in to computers and software and it's enabled me to in turn help others with what I know so the things I learn about Linux will be passed on to others once I can get up to speed and gain some working knowledge which I'm hoping won't take too many months.

My goal is to do some research about certain things I have to have such as hard drive imaging (I've been using Acronis True Image for like 15 plus years and hard drive imaging is a must have item), and then buy a new computer and still use my current computer until such a time as I'm able to get all my software loaded and functional as I need to be able to turn the new Linux computer in to my primary work computer and I'll be off and running.

So thank you again in advance for the valuable help, advice, and suggestions you guys can share.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:

@Rockrz welcome to linux.org.

I am moving this to Member Introductions as this does not have a support question it in per se.

If/when you have questions on installing, by all means use Getting Started.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Welcome to the forums

G'day Rockrz, Welcome to Linux.org

Welcome aboard.

Sounds like a good strategy regarding keeping old machine going until you get used new Linux machine.

I'm very happy to find a forum such as this with lots of knowledgeable Linux guys! I've visited a couples times now and have already seen a few very informative discussions going on concerning Linux and software (or apps) that run on Linux

I've been a PC user on "Bill's OS" since about 1999 when I got my first PC and I'm probably more knowledgeable using Bill's OS than the average person but not an expert by any means. Most of the things I've learned over the years were thru solving problems and thru doing a few upgrades to my box (and Lenovo laptops!) such as installing new hard drives, installing RAM and video cards, and fans, etc.

When version 8.0 of Bill's OS came out I was on a large help forum that is all about Bill's OS and there was a long thread by some computer nerd guys claiming that the new version 8 of Bill's OS had a back door built in to it that allows government, ISPs, etc to get in to your computer. Not sure if this is all true but it sounds like something that likely is true so I decided then that I needed to get away from Bill's OS at some point. I'm still using Bill's OS version 7 64 bit Pro currently.

View attachment 19169

I think Linux is great for more reasons than some rumours that Bill Gates and FBI are working toghether. If that is what the vague claim is about really. I can't see a deal happening between Bill Gates and the FBI, and even if they do, their power ends at the US borders.

as this does not have a support question it in per se.

OK, no problem.

I was going to follow up with some questions but I can start a new thread when I get my first few questions together

I can't see a deal happening between Bill Gates and the FBI

I hear Linux is much faster and performs better so hopefully that is true. Nothing better and a computer that is really fast which is how a lot of guys like their cars and their women! :cool:

I like the term ''Bill's OS'' I'm gonna use it, this is what it is actually

LOL Bill hasn't been a part of MSFT for a long, long time...

Either way, welcome aboard!

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

it is great that you found a professional company that will setup and help you maintain linux. My company does that same thing except we use Fedora.
Having professionals to turn to is a great leg up.

welcome to the forum!

Just run ubuntu, skip the research. I know the mass of linux distros can be confusing. if you are new to Linux, you want to run Ubuntu.

If your computer is 8 years old thats ok, i have thinkpads that are around that age too. They are still more than good enough to run a browser, email program, watch youtube and a movie and do all the basics without any problems at all.

If you dont do more than than (pretty much gaming and coding, depending on what you do) you will most likely not need a new computer, and if so, don't spend more than 400-500 usd for it.

welcome to the forum!

Just run ubuntu, skip the research. I know the mass of linux distros can be confusing. if you are new to Linux, you want to run Ubuntu.

If your computer is 8 years old thats ok, i have thinkpads that are around that age too. They are still more than good enough to run a browser, email program, watch youtube and a movie and do all the basics without any problems at all.

If you dont do more than than (pretty much gaming and coding, depending on what you do) you will most likely not need a new computer, and if so, don't spend more than 400-500 usd for it.
I would say that mint, Fedora, and ubuntu are equally good for newbies and experts. But since the poster has a professional company that will help him and they are ubuntu, then he should use that because of the help available, not because it is better.

Members online

Latest posts