Distro advice

edumat

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, a friend of mine gave me an almost new laptop but it's a little weak an i install a linux distribution a few days ago.
I choose linux mint which has what i need for daily use, but even so the laptop is a little slow and unresposive.
The laptop is a hp stream 14, dual core celeron n3060 with grafic card integrated, 4gb ram and 32gb emmc
is there any better distro for this laptop?
i'm a beginner but i can solve some problems if they arise.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums,
your halfway there ..you managed to install a distribution, now it may be a bit heavy for that particular lappy, so we need to see its full specifications to advise you,
so please open a terminal [black icon on left of task bar with $_] and type in inxi -Fnxz [inxispace-Fnxz]
and copy/paste the results back here

Bwiz

Hello Edumat,
Welcome to the Forum.
As brickwizzard said it may be a little bit low end for mint Cinnamon, but th XFCE Desktop version may be a better fit.
It sound like it may have been a chromebook the 32gb emmc is not very big for a full linux install.

System:
Kernel: 5.4.0-90-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma
base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Stream Laptop 14-ax0XX
v: Type1ProductConfigId serial: <filter>
Mobo: HP model: 82BD v: 11.20 serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde
v: F.21 date: 04/26/2017
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 38.2 Wh condition: 41.6/41.6 Wh (100%)
model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Discharging
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Celeron N3060 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Airmont rev: 4 L2 cache: 1024 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 6400
Speed: 480 MHz min/max: 480/2480 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 480 2: 489
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx
Integrated Graphics
vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 400 (BSW) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3
direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series
High Definition Audio
vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-90-generic
Network:
Device-1: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 1040
bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 29.12 GiB used: 14.92 GiB (51.2%)
ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: DF4032 size: 29.12 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 28.04 GiB used: 14.92 GiB (53.2%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/mmcblk0p5
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 241 Uptime: 2h 06m Memory: 3.75 GiB used: 1.23 GiB (32.7%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17
inxi: 3.0.38

OK, good and bad news, looking at the spec
good news is it is capable of running any Linux distribution
bad news, as @kc1di suspected it was built as a chrome book, the Celeron processor will never make it a fast machine,
to make it a bit faster you need a distribution "lighter in weight" I would suggest MX-linux ,lubuntu, debian [from the main builds] or Gallium [this is a special build for low powered chrome books and will probably be the fastest]

there are several threads on the forum for chrome books, use the search facility using "Linux & chrome book" as your search parameters and make yourself familiar with them

Bwiz

originaly this supposed one "chrome book" had windows installed, but with the updates it got the memory full, so it was given to me as if there was no solution...
;)

had windows installed, but with the updates it got the memory full,
I am not at all surprised, the average disc space for a full blown linux is around 16gb [10gb for a lightweight version] W10 is around 24gb before you add in things like office, anti-virus, firewall and all the other bits you need to run it safely

So, i don't need a powerful laptop, just something functional... Tell me about the Gallium OS, it as the same features of other distros like mint, ubuntu features like libre oficce? And i need to conect to a printer by wifi it is easy to do?

Tell me about the Gallium OS,
Ok, well I have not used it myself as I have never had a chrome book across my bench, it is based on the lightweight Xubuntu with the faster XFCE desk top, this means you will be able to install most applications in the ubuntu repositories.
this is a review of Gallium

yes you can install the office suite, and as most printer drivers are in the kernel [unless its a new or exotic printer it should work ]

Bwiz

If you want a fairly light mainstream distro, look no further than Lubuntu. Note: That's lubuntu.me, the .net address that looks official isn't and is horribly out of date.

It's no longer specifically aimed at lower-resource computers, but is still really light on resources.

Members online

Latest posts