Did you guy's know this?

Adithyansm

Reaction score
Credits
DO NOT DO THIS! DO NOT RUN THIS COMMAND UNLESS YOU KNOW THE OUTCOME!

I was just testing some distros in distrotest.net and I noticed ferenos I tested it for a while and decided to destroy the system
I run "sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root"
And this happened LOL:p
2022-03-16_19-46.png
These are more funny comments check that yourself

Do you guys know any distro doing this ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dangerous command!
Has nothing to do with just a distro. It has to do with Linux.

FerenOS -- for former Windows users who don't like Linux; it's free whereas full-featured Z is not.

I use rm -rf /* before I format my drives at times.

I use
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync

LOL I edited the first post to add a clear warning, as we have some not-so-savvy forum members.

LOL I edited the first post to add a clear warning, as we have some not-so-savvy forum members.
I will be careful next time thanks @KGIII for editing

I will be careful next time thanks @KGIII for editing

Thanks! At least mention that it has potential to hose your system beyond repair. We have some users who don't know what that command can do and, while I'll never figure out why, people copy and paste commands without knowing the outcome all the time.

"I was following this tutorial and I'm stuck at this step!"
"Well, what did the previous commands do?"
"I don't know, I was following the tutorial and I'm stuck at this step!"
"Well, what did hose previous commands do?"

Which can go on for a while, with some folks never getting the point.

It's why I no longer ask that question. It's also the reason I try to tell folks what a command is going to do when I write for my site (when it's not obvious).

I use rm -rf /* before I format my drives at times.
Are you doing this for security or just for fun? When I was a little more concerned about security, I would zero out my hard drives before formatting. Takes forever...

Are you doing this for security or just for fun? When I was a little more concerned about security, I would zero out my hard drives before formatting. Takes forever...
For security purposes.

Members online