didn't work
keyboard - control c
keyboard - control v

heres how i got it work
keyboard - control c
mouse - right click - paste

i wish i werent poor and forced to use linux

it so embarrassing to use linux

Did you 'highlight' the words/words first?

Works fine here.

What distro?
What desktop environment/windows manager?
What application?
Are all applications the same, e.g. Terminal vs Word Processor
Is your keyboard configured correctly?
What computer?
What language?

Wild stab in the dark...

Is your CTRL key broken?

I have enough money to run any OS I want. I choose Linux. It's not a matter of costs, it's a matter of enjoyment.

You can buy a Windows license for a few bucks online. Literally, under $5.00.

It's probably not completely above board, it's someone selling a license they borrowed from their employer, but you can do it and Windows will work. I forget who, but we've had people post links in the past.

I get this all the time, both in Windows and Linux, especially when going between VMs and remote session windows. Would expect the same in any OS really. It's usually because the interface "focus" isn't where you think it is - so your keyboard command is going somewhere else entirely.

Made worse when an app decides to "pop" in front, seizing focus. As happens occasionally. Or, it's a remote session window that redirects inputs on mouse-over event. Small wonder the OS gets a little confused about where you wanted that CTRL+ command to go if you're doing that like me.

Mousing the copy/paste functions sucks a bit, but at least clarifies to the OS what you wanted. It's my second pick, usually - keyboard works more often than not.

Last edited:
Focus stealing applications are the enemy. Stop stealing my focus so I can understand what is happening.

I wish I wouldn't have to wake up every other day reading someone do so much complaining about either free software or free support causing me to have to call the suicide prevention line just to prevent me from ending it all.

I will buy a Windows license for you if you want one since the resellers are more than affordable now days.
Do you want Windows 10 or Windows 11, I will buy a license for you and then send you the key through a pm

Last edited:
GUI programs have copy/paste in their menus - on the command line, highlight the text, go where you want it, then press the middle button, (press both buttons together if only a 2 button mouse).

You don't have to use Linux - maybe try Haiku, or FreeDOS, both also free.

Not at all embarrassing to use Linux - it shows that you don't follow the crowd.... ;)

Well, if ya really feel that strongly about it, what'cha doing here?

There's an answer to all your computing woes, y'know; knock it all on the head. Pull the plug; find a dumpster, and trash the thing. Shut down your ISP's a/c.....probably phone, too.....withdraw from society, & go into voluntary exile.

That way, there'd be no need to post on forums, complaining about how dreadfully unfair life is. It would be a "fix".....of sorts.

Just an idea, like.... Nobody is twisting your arm, or "forcing" you to do ANYTHING.

Mike. o_O

There's an answer to all your computing woes, y'know; knock it all on the head. Pull the plug; find a dumpster, and trash the thing. Shut down your ISP's a/c.....probably phone, too.....withdraw from society, & go into voluntary exile.
Give up flying [aero-linux] give up driving [auto-linux] dont go on a cruse [ marine-linux] throw away your streaming devices, smart washing machines, microwave ovens, voice assistants,and many other appliances [embedded- Linux],
Like it or not, you use Linux every day.

I learned a long time ago the wishes won't usually get you any where. If your here because you can't afford the other OS's then use what you have to it's best advantage and do something great with it. Stop complaining and start learning to make Linux what you want it to be. There are so many choices. And all you have to do is learn. Complaining never will get you what you want.

sounds to me like you are not willing to do a little googling to find out what is wrong - you did not post what distro you are using, and no specs from your machine - so don't expect much help

being "poor" has nothing to do with using Linux, I am not poor and use it all the time because I choose to and like it better then Windowz or Mac

your problem may be associated with GPaste - https://github.com/Keruspe/GPaste

being "poor" has nothing to do with using Linux, I am not poor and use it all the time because I choose to and like it better then Windowz or Mac

^^^ +1.

Actually, the individual's pecuniary state has nothing to do with this particular scenario.

I used Windows for more than 25 years, 'cos I didn't know any better. I've only ever had barely enough coming in each week to keep the wolves at bay.......certainly very little to spare for "luxuries". Computers and OSs always came under that heading, for me, although many social commentators will have you believe that internet access is these days considered not just a necessity, but comes under the category of a human right.

Anyways. At the end of XP's life, that was it. I'd had enough of Windows, and was fed up to the back teeth with it. I Googled "Free operating systems".....and was utterly gobsmacked at what I found.

It very soon became clear to me that, despite the "learning curve" - yes, there WAS a bit of one, but nothing insurmountable - Linux was fundamentally a far superior system. You could do absolutely anything you wanted with it, any way you wanted to.....and, best of all, it was free. As far as I was concerned, it was a "win-win" scenario, all round. There just weren't any downsides.

Maybe that doesn't work for you, but I haven't looked back once.......and best of all, since 2014 computing has become FUN again.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I would appreciate more interaction and cooperation from @marbles. Please give us enough details and answer questions when the members here try to help.

It is that lack of detail and cooperation that make me wonder whether marbles is "trolling us for the lulz". We see the same repeated behavior without explanation or attempts at improvement. Everyone keeps asking for details and cooperation, but nothing changes and the cycle repeats itself. It is the disrespect for the other members and lack of change that bother me.

I had already decided for myself to ignore marbles' posts and not take the bait. Somehow I got suckered on this one and posted a response. I won't get suckered again until marbles shows signs of making an effort. Any effort. I feel awful posting this comment, because it directly addresses a person and not the Linux problem that they are trying to solve. I urge others to follow suit and ignore marbles until such time that marbles makes a good faith attempt to provide details and answer questions. Let's start with "provide details."

I urge the moderators to delete new marbles threads that lack sufficient detail. Treat them as the trolling spam that they are. My apologies to @marbles, but there seems to be no alternative.

Moderators:
Please review and delete this post if inappropriate. I won't mind.

Staff online

Members online