Consistent Issues Over Years With Linux SOLVED

I'm beginning to think that the boot time issue may be associated with the BIOS of this Asus X570 Gaming Edition.
In another thread another member with an Asus laptop has the exact same issue with booting that I have.

Slow booting only occurs with Linux Mint and Mint has the boot of the whole machine.
Mint is the first distro in the Grub Menu.

The other 2 Linux os on this rig boot up in 10 to 20 seconds.

I’ve had Debian on my laptop since before systemd was introduced. As soon as systemd was added, it considerably increased boot times. It used to boot really quickly. Since systemd - startup took up to two or three minutes!

From what I remember the last time I started to look at it - the system was waiting for particular services to start. Some of which were services I wasn’t using and didn’t even have installed. So I hacked my systemd configs to remove all references to things I don’t use. That has helped a bit. Hasn’t sped things up much though.
I just haven’t had the time, or the inclination to try to investigate it properly.

But systemd is definitely a factor. Whether it’s systemd itself, or the way that Debian configures it - IDK.

I’ve just put up with the increased boot times. I don’t often shut down anyway. I normally just close the lid and hibernate/suspend my machine instead nowadays. Then when I open the lid - it comes back in seconds!
Thanks
walmart one
Very good information, thanks.

You confirmed what I had thought that systemd is playing a role in the boot up process.
I'll look when I have more time if there is a way to give commands to systemd to stop or slow this down.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of experience with Debian, or even Debian with systemd.

But I can say systemd actually speeds up boot times on some of my systems.

Thanks for letting me know.

In 2017, Melinda Gates acknowledged that the software "needed a more powerful computer than most people had back then".
Wow!

Linux Mint anything from my experience has always and still is a slow booting Linux distro.

I've never seen any OS take 3 minutes to boot up. o_O
I guess you don't remember Microsoft BOB?:p In 2017, Melinda Gates acknowledged that the software "needed a more powerful computer than most people had back then". Whodathought!:p

oops! Sorry, that was a desktop for win 3.1, 95, 98, and XP. How about the wonderful Win ME, that was a real winner!o_O

Anyway, Slackware still rules!!

Last edited:

Interesting there has been much criticism of systemd but I found when running Debiandog with the various versions with systemd that it was very smooth efficient experience and probably better than sysvinit. I was very anti but I am now comming around to thinking it is better than I previously thought. Interested what others think about systemd.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to open a new Thread, Daz ;):D:D

Wiz

I'm beginning to think that the boot time issue may be associated with the BIOS of this Asus X570 Gaming Edition.
In another thread another member with an Asus laptop has the exact same issue with booting that I have.

Slow booting only occurs with Linux Mint and Mint has the boot of the whole machine.
Mint is the first distro in the Grub Menu.

The other 2 Linux os on this rig boot up in 10 to 20 seconds.
That might make sense if there are significant differences in architecture/technology among your distros. Being the first on the boot list doesn't make a bit of difference in boot times. A distro does not boot until it is selected.

That might make sense if there are significant differences in architecture/technology among your distros. Being the first on the boot list doesn't make a bit of difference in boot times. A distro does not boot until it is selected.
I'm running 2 Ubuntu based 64-bit distro's and one Debian based 64-bit distro.
All three use systemd.

If I continue to have trouble I may have to go back to Slackware.
I never had any booting issues for the 9 years I ran Slackware.

I don't have any boot issues running Kubuntu. What are your Ubuntu distros and your Debian?

Version, desktop, etc.

I don't have any boot issues running Kubuntu. What are your Ubuntu distros and your Debian?

Version, desktop, etc.
Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE
Elementary OS 5.1 Hera Enlightenment DE.
Debian 10 Buster Mate.

Now run systemd-analyze blame in each distro and post the results here.

I know that's a lot of work, but if it's worth understanding the problem, then we need to see the problem.

besides, I'll do anything to keep someone off Slackware :eek:

Now run systemd-analyze blame in each distro and post the results here.

I know that's a lot of work, but if it's worth understanding the problem, then we need to see the problem.

besides, I'll do anything to keep someone off Slackware :eek:
I'll run systemd-analyze blame on all 3 distro's tomorrow. It's late.

I really don't want to go back to Slackware as it is not the easiest distro to run and it doesn't do dependency resolution.

You would have dependency checking in slack if you added slapt-get and gslapt.

Here is the output of systemd-analyze blame for Elementary OS

-System-Product-Name:~$ systemd-analyze blame
7.887s apt-daily-upgrade.service
6.987s systemd-journal-flush.service
6.767s udisks2.service
5.726s dev-sdb1.device
5.217s pantheon-parental-controls.service
4.476s accounts-daemon.service
3.970s apparmor.service
3.717s networkd-dispatcher.service
3.064s grub-common.service
2.985s wpa_supplicant.service
2.762s NetworkManager.service
2.658s systemd-resolved.service
2.503s gpu-manager.service
2.391s systemd-udevd.service
2.329s systemd-logind.service
2.329s bluetooth.service
2.291s speech-dispatcher.service
2.254s avahi-daemon.service
2.249s pppd-dns.service
2.130s ModemManager.service
1.949s thermald.service
1.879s lvm2-monitor.service
1.388s systemd-user-sessions.service
1.230s polkit.service
1.193s keyboard-setup.service
1.165s lightdm.service
1.164s plymouth-quit-wait.service
1.033s systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
904ms systemd-modules-load.service

I'll post the output for the other 2 distros in a little while.