Solved Cloning btrfs disk fails and leads to grub rescue.

Solved issue

price1221

Reaction score
Credits
I am using parrot os. which come with btrfs i tried clonezilla and dd to clone to another disk. but everytime it leads to grub rescue and in grub rescue every partition's filesystem cant be found. My grub is using bios not efi. So right now im all out of options

LOL Well, this is another one for @bob466. He's always cloning drives and making full drive backups.

Curiously, this is the 2nd question (today) that I felt might fall within his wheelhouse.

mx linux (also based on debian) has a boot repair program you could try from a live boot session to see if that might help: https://mxlinux.org/wiki/help-files/help-mx-boot-repair/

It's too late to edit my post without it seeming janky.

What I meant to include was a bit about how I couldn't solve their problem but that we had someone who likes to clone disks.

sighs

I'm even perfectly sober, though it's way past my bedtime.

pinging or tagging in reinforcements may well lead to a solution and seems well worth a post and try to me.

i had one disk that i cloned with clonezilla that just refused to
boot. it didn't even get to the grub shell. in that situation i had created a disk image for eventual archival purposes. for whatever reason writing the image to the new disk worked when the clone didn't.

cloning can save a fair bit of time. when it works :)

Use RescueZilla

I am using parrot os. which come with btrfs i tried clonezilla and dd to clone to another disk. but everytime it leads to grub rescue and in grub rescue every partition's filesystem cant be found. My grub is using bios not efi. So right now im all out of options

You could try Foxclone https://www.foxclone.org/
or Redorescue https://sourceforge.net/projects/redobackup/files/
I create an image file of my system...I stopped cloning years ago...an image is much better.
m1212.gif

Someone here may be able to identify a problem via screenshot....

However....

I have a 1tb drive here which was being used to hold Timehsift snapshots and rescuezilla backups.

It would deal with the Timeshift data without any problem at all.
It would house the rescuezilla backups and declare that they were backed up correctly.....BUT....when I clicked on verify (this is a feature of rescuezilla)...it presented a screen full of errors....which the people at git hub were unable to decipher/elaborate on...other than to say there was a problem with that drive.

I swapped that hdd for a new 1tb SSD and the problem is gone

I have opened that drive on gparted etc etc and it is beyond me to find any problem

Someone here may have a different way of looking at it than I have.

Do you have another drive you can use to point the clone to ?

Do you have another drive you can use to point the clone to ?
yes. do you mean clonning the disk to another disk? which is already im doing. but if you need a third disk then probably no bcz my third disk is less then my parrotOS disk size

what is the result using that 2nd disk?....you said you are already doing that...has it finished?

Wow foxclone did the work damn.. after so many times of cloning using multiple tools dd, clonezilla, recuezilla, btrfs.clone none worked. I almost lost my hope bcz i was doing so much cloning that my disk will die. But yay it worked finally after 4days of trial and error

Members online

Latest posts