Cleaning screen with anti-glare coating

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I'm foaming at the mouth with rage! Tonight was a hot summer night and I forgot to turn on the insect repellent. Flies crapped all over my screen and I can't get it cleaned up with the standard "non-invasive" methods.

Normally I know exactly to get rid of it, but I had my screen coated with custom premium 150€ Olephobic coating. Any invasive cleaning implements WILL wreck it.

So how can I get rid of fly poop from my screen without trashing the expensive coating?

Personally I would try with a microfibre cloth dampened with Water.

below is the official burbs from Apple and Samsung

Doe the product you used not have any advice?

All iPhone displays have oleophobic coatings. Here is Apple's official advice for cleaning an iPhone display:

Using a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe, 75 percent ethyl alcohol wipe, or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, you may gently wipe the exterior surfaces of your iPhone. Don't use products containing bleach or hydrogen peroxide. Avoid getting moisture in any openings, and don't submerge your iPhone in any cleaning agents.

Samsung's recommendation for Galaxy devices is similar:

You can also use a disinfectant, such as a hypochlorous acid-based solution (containing 50-80ppm) or an alcohol-based solution (containing more than 70% ethanol or isopropyl alcohol). Do not apply these liquid solutions directly to your device; they should be carefully applied to a microfiber cloth instead.

Personally I would try with a microfibre cloth dampened with Water.

That is what I use.

I make small circles with little pressure. I make sure to move to a new spot on the cloth often. When done, I use the other side of the cloth to give it a final wipedown to make sure there are no streaks or anything.

Glass cleaning solution (for prescription glasses) and a microfiber cloth.
It's what I've always used, Supposed to be safe for all screens.

The instruction manual says that the coating is a strong base and will react with anything acidic.

Also, I'd suggest trying a small section (like a tiny corner section) to make sure there's no reaction with the coating you had added, regardless of what you use.

Not to be a smarty pants but what is in the anti-glare product that causes flies congregate and to poop all over it. I have never heard of fly poop on a screen and I sure have never seen it. Only things ever on my screen is good old dust.

Certain glass cleaning solutions are citrus based, which means they have a low ph... ergo are acidic. Which means no, unless I know the exact composition of those wipes.

I was pondering this a bit after posting.

You know what almost certainly isn't going to damage it (and you'd have to still finish with a microfiber cloth)?

Baby wipes.

Sure, your monitor will smell like a freshly changed baby for a few hours, but I bet it works.

Certain glass cleaning solutions are citrus based,
I've never heard of using acidic citrus based cleaners on eye glasses before, but I guess there very well may be some id10ts out there making it.
THIS is what you want.

for those who cannot see that page (being asked to sign up for a walmart account etc...

Equate-Lens-Cleaner-8-fl-oz_65b743b9-403b-4080-bbab-f5aedd969b11.7d292f64a34384a86781acc705cf6...png

or,
IMG-2207.jpg

IMG-2208.jpg

for those who cannot see that page (being asked to sign up for a walmart account etc...

View attachment 16623
I've been using that for years on everything from glasses with AR coating, to monitors, to High Dollar 4K TVs.
It's as safe as you get for all types of glass, and coatings.

or those who cannot see that page (being asked to sign up for a walmart account etc.
or just go down to your local Wally World and pick it up, which is why I posted the link :rolleyes:

That's a bit of a long trip from where I'm sitting

That's a bit of a long trip from where I'm sitting
I didn't think you were the one asking for it, or were you, and I misunderstood?

I didn't think you were the one asking for it, or were you, and I misunderstood?
This is an open discussion, or isn't it, and I misunderstood?

I will be looking for it's European equivalent in my local stores. Thanks.

Staff online

Members online