Can't seem to change the time format in the panel.

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
This looks like pretty simple thing to do. I wouldn't bother if I weren't stuck using a live version of Linux for an unknown, hopefully short period of time. Until then, I'm not going to shut down this laptop. I don't want to make all those changes every time I turn it on!

I'm following the very easy to understand instructions, uncheck the 24 hours clock. It's not changing the format. I'm doing exactly what is shown in online tutorials. All the directions I found for using the terminal are either only for the date, or instructions aren't clear. They seem incomplete or don't explain enough.

It's my understanding that live versions are limited. Since simple instructions don't seem to have the intended effect, I'm wondering if this can't be done.

Right click on the time (it's called a calendar, I suppose) and click on Configure.

On that page, tick the box to set a custom date format. That should do it. You can do it for both what's shown and what you see when you mouse-over it. For example, adding :SS will add seconds.

...I don't want to make all those changes every time I turn it on!

... however, any such changes will be wiped if you reboot, or remove the USB stick.

Sherri, remind me of what was the burning method for creating the USB Mint Live stick, was it Ventoy, Rufus, Etcher, or other?

Chris

... however, any such changes will be wiped if you reboot, or remove the USB stick.

Yes oh wise one! You are indeed correct! That's why I'm turning it off. I should have added that I'm not going to remove the USB stick! I have it on a USB hub with a long cable, safe and out of the way!
Sherri, remind me of what was the burning method for creating the USB Mint Live stick, was it Ventoy, Rufus, Etcher, or other?

Chris

Etcher

Right click on the time (it's called a calendar, I suppose) and click on Configure.

On that page, tick the box to set a custom date format. That should do it. You can do it for both what's shown and what you see when you mouse-over it. For example, adding :SS will add seconds.
1707956475819.png

I couldn't find the special characters to change the time format.

Ta, also when you get a chance
  1. Is that the Sandisk, and what is its capacity, eg 8 GB, 16 GB, other?
  2. Do remember if it was formatted to FAT32, or other (likely FAT32, if created on other than Linux)
Wiz

BTW, I'll deal with the time format separately, after I switch to the right environment (LM 21.2) but entertain other help in the meantime.

I couldn't find the special characters to change the time format.

It uses the standard.

You can look this up. If you want 24 hour time, it's HH - while 12 hour time is hh.

2. Do remember if it was formatted to FAT32, or other (likely FAT32, if created on other than Linux)
Wiz
First, I did NOT find the USB drives with a lot more memory. I checked the disks to make sure I had the right ones. That's when I found out my HDD would likely fail.

The USB drive I have Linux mint on

PNY 128GB DUO LINK USB 3.2 Type-C Dual Flash Drive

Fat32

BTW, I'll deal with the time format separately, after I switch to the right environment (LM 21.2) but entertain other help in the meantime.

I found another USB with LInux 22.1 that I created in 2021
I was thinking of wiping it and then burning Linux 21.3 and run live off of that instead.

I'll check the specs on it in a bit. My masters are demanding food!

Wiz

Pny 64BG duo link usb 3.2

OK, when you get time, can you open Disks, click on the USB stick in the left pane, and show us a screenshot similar to that which you posted over here ?

Ta.

OK, when you get time, can you open Disks, click on the USB stick in the left pane, and show us a screenshot similar to that which you posted over here ?

Ta.
1707960862972.png

This one, the 125 GB drive is NOT the one I'm running Linux on right now. It's an Amazon branded drive, or generic!

Thanks, but I was looking for the one that you are running Mint from.

That is exactly what I was hoping to see, with an unexpected bonus of seeing Partition 3 as "writable". Thanks.

In older times, that would have been referred to as "casper-rw", but since Ubuntu 20 series (and so also subsequent Linux Mint releases based on it), they change the ballgame.

I have 2 exercises I will perform, and I will come back to you with results of each as I can

1. Shorter one is I have a 16 GB USB stick with LM 21.2 on it, and I will reboot to it and check with the unchecking of the 24 hour clock.

2. Much longer one is that I can use one of my 64 GB sticks, clear it and run tests I have not run since before Ubuntu 20 series. If successful, I may have some results of interest for you, while you are sorting out your computers, drives, caddies and so on.

Later

Wiz

1. Shorter one is I have a 16 GB USB stick with LM 21.2 on it, and I will reboot to it and check with the unchecking of the 24 hour clock.

I have a preliminary question on this one.

IIRC when you installed 21.2, you used OEM version, so question is

Currently, are you using the top entry or the 3rd entry (OEM) to boot into?

3cd8umt.jpeg

On Time format:

1. 24-hr format vs 12-hr clock seems straightforward, I waited until after 1PM my time to get the best time appearance and difference, they are as below

JNwh0Zr.png

and

IWmzC9x.png

On revealing the seconds:

For example, adding :SS will add seconds.

Close, but no cigar, David.

It is actually by adding

:%S

That's a colon, a percentage sign, and just one uppercase S

QjYvHhe.png

Now, as I mentioned earlier, it will take a considerably longer time for the 2nd of my exercises, and Sherri, I will likely place its results at your thread

https://www.linux.org/threads/drive...ng-at-alternatives-welcome-suggestions.48655/

Later

Wizard

Sherri,
Setting the Time and Date is easy in Mint Cinnamon...it's done the same in the live session or installed.
Click the time bottom right of Panel and select...Date and Time Settings...you'll see this...
1707976988339.png

The settings above show this...
1707977069160.png

If you want to show seconds place a tick in Display seconds...it's also a 12 hr clock...hope this helps.
m1212.gif

Lol, didn't I say that above?

I might not have been clear about it.

Members online

Latest posts