Buzzing speakers - hardware issue?

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
My speakers have started to drive me crazy. They are buzzing at random intervals across the entire audio spectrum, from bass to trebble. The buzz usually lasts up to half a second. It buzzes even if there is no audio being played at the time.

However the amp from my speakers has a standby mode, where it powers down the speakers if there is no audio input for around 90 seconds. The buzzing doesn't pull the speaker out of standby.

What could be the culprit for such a thing?

Two immediate guesses would be interference from another electronics device or cables going bad - causing intermittent shorts, possibly at a jack location. The latter does not require that the line be moved to cause the shorts, they just happen as current moves through line.

I've dealt with a whole lot of sound issues, so those would be my first two guesses. Imagine hunting down the source of an intermittent buzzing in a pretty good sized home studio where you're surrounded by things emitting EMR.

Yep bad connections at the output source is the first place I'd look as the connections at the jack can oxidize over time.

As already mentioned noise from wireless devices can be a source.

LED bulbs emit RFI noise so you might consider looking at those.

Could also be the sound system itself having a failing component.

Oh, another one that can cause something like that is a cellphone. Have you recently started storing your cellphone near the speakers?

They've improved from what they were, but earlier cellphones would set speakers off from a bit of a distance. But, you can still get the symptoms you mention if you put a cell right next to or on top of the speakers.

My speakers have started to drive me crazy. They are buzzing at random intervals across the entire audio spectrum, from bass to trebble. The buzz usually lasts up to half a second. It buzzes even if there is no audio being played at the time.

However the amp from my speakers has a standby mode, where it powers down the speakers if there is no audio input for around 90 seconds. The buzzing doesn't pull the speaker out of standby.

What could be the culprit for such a thing?
How close is your cell phone to your speakers?

One of my old cell phones used to create a lot of intermittent static on powered speakers.

How close is your cell phone to your speakers?

One of my old cell phones used to create a lot of intermittent static on powered speakers.

LOL You were just a minute too late. I probably hit the post reply button while you were just finishing up typing that.

But, as they say, great minds think alike!

In this case, we'll pretend I have a great mind.

LOL You were just a minute too late. I probably hit the post reply button while you were just finishing up typing that.

But, as they say, great minds think alike!

In this case, we'll pretend I have a great mind.
Lol! Yep, you just beat me to it

It seems to be a consensus from everyone who posted here, that, rather than damage, there is "something" causing noise. I have already ruled out the phone, and also plugged the speakers into a different device, whereas the noise wasn't present.

First I checked the connection, and there seems to be an infinitesimal movement when the jack is fully plugged in (a standard audio jack). When I try to move it around it does crunch a bit, but it is nothing that would resemble the noise I experience.

I opened the pc, and cleaned the audio "area" on the motherboard. I went at it with a magnifying glass. No caps were blown, no visual damage present.

But I did notice something. Back in the day, ASUS did brag about having top notch noise insulation, so I went inspecting that. Its a thick line that separates the audio area from the rest of the motherboard. It looks like gold, but the color pulls a bit towards yellow. Upon closer inspection, that insulation looks cracked up, like leaving mud in the sun for long that it dries up and cracks.

I check the closest objects to the insulation, and these appear to be managing the M.2 I have installed. I suspected there being a correlation between the noise and storage activity. A light bulb went off!

I ran a live distro on a USB stick, upon which I watched a couple of youtube videos. No noise. Then I mounted my secondary hard drive and tried a few movies on that one. Again, no noise. And then I mounted the M.2. At first, no noise, but as soon as I started watching a video from it - NOISE! The exact same occasional bursts that have been happening before.

My M.2 being active is causing this. Probably a coil or cap charging or discharging, and because the dampening is shot, it translates as noise into the speakers. DAMN!

So how do I fix it? Heat gun?

Probably a coil or cap charging or discharging, and because the dampening is shot, it translates as noise into the speakers. DAMN!

That sounds solid to me.

In the electric guitar world, we use this conductive copper tape to shield our electronics. The good stuff, the only kind you want, also has a conductive adhesive.

You could try covering that insulation with this copper tape. It's actually fairly inexpensive - especially if you're not in a rush and don't mind a slow boat from China. You'll pay top dollar if you buy it at somewhere like StewMac (but it sure will be top quality).

I would consider that BUT I'd probably consider that because I have rolls and rolls of the stuff.

Others may have better ideas.

It seems to be a consensus from everyone who posted here, that, rather than damage, there is "something" causing noise. I have already ruled out the phone, and also plugged the speakers into a different device, whereas the noise wasn't present.

First I checked the connection, and there seems to be an infinitesimal movement when the jack is fully plugged in (a standard audio jack). When I try to move it around it does crunch a bit, but it is nothing that would resemble the noise I experience.

I opened the pc, and cleaned the audio "area" on the motherboard. I went at it with a magnifying glass. No caps were blown, no visual damage present.

But I did notice something. Back in the day, ASUS did brag about having top notch noise insulation, so I went inspecting that. Its a thick line that separates the audio area from the rest of the motherboard. It looks like gold, but the color pulls a bit towards yellow. Upon closer inspection, that insulation looks cracked up, like leaving mud in the sun for long that it dries up and cracks.

I check the closest objects to the insulation, and these appear to be managing the M.2 I have installed. I suspected there being a correlation between the noise and storage activity. A light bulb went off!

I ran a live distro on a USB stick, upon which I watched a couple of youtube videos. No noise. Then I mounted my secondary hard drive and tried a few movies on that one. Again, no noise. And then I mounted the M.2. At first, no noise, but as soon as I started watching a video from it - NOISE! The exact same occasional bursts that have been happening before.

My M.2 being active is causing this. Probably a coil or cap charging or discharging, and because the dampening is shot, it translates as noise into the speakers. DAMN!

Wow, an M.2 drive? I never would have guessed.

Any electrical / electronic device is capable of creating and radiating electrical noise.
Just because computers are SMT components doesn't mean they can't generate noise.
Do a Google search and there's all kinds of articles about screeching noise that M.2 drives generate.
And yes it's may not be the type of noise you have but it's from M.2 drives.

Not the M.2 per se
Any electrical / electronic device is capable of creating and radiating electrical noise.
Just because computers are SMT components doesn't mean they can't generate noise.
Do a Google search and there's all kinds of articles about screeching noise that M.2 drives generate.
And yes it's may not be the type of noise you have but it's from M.2 drives.

Not the M.2 per se, but the surrounding electronic devices, such as caps and coils' em field in close proximity to the audio signal lines might surge and generate noise trough a speaker once in a while when operating at a high rate.

I took out the soldering Iron with a spatula. I am lightly tapping the insulation with it. I did a small corner and it appears to be sealing the cracks at first glance. I'll keep you updated.

Fixed it! I was sweating like a surgeon when I did it, but now it works. The noise is gone and the motherboard is only slightly singed around the perimeter of the insulation.

If I was on the clock at work, then the time spent tapping this with a soldering iron could have earned me enough to buy two motherboards of the same chipset. Which is what I probably would have done - bought one and got drunk on other half of the money. But I am stuck home with a torn ankle joint, as little as getting a beer from the fridge is a massive effort.

But I am stuck home with a torn ankle joint, as little as getting a beer from the fridge is a massive effort.

Backpack and a dorm-size fridge near your desk or bed. Your early trip to the kitchen can be filling a thermos with coffee. Then when you switch to beer you can transport it in your backtop.

I spent a long time in a wheelchair and then a long time on crutches. It wasn't long before I noticed the long-term users all carried bags - even with their wheelchairs. It wasn't long after that that I realized a backpack worked best for me. It was by my side all the way through using a walker.

Well, my case isn't as bad as yours. And the doctors also said to try and walk around a bit so the muscles don't atrophy. Might as well make a concerted effort on the way back from the toilet lol. The destruction around my ankle is considerable and I just got off a walking stick a few days ago.
318090669_615428987008836_620931859645902401_n.jpg
318376606_657275782555107_6319024604382700351_n.jpg

That does look pretty crappy. One thing I've learned is to not diminish anyone's pain and discomfort. That might not be 'as bad', but it sure looks plenty painful. It's not something I'd want to go through and I hope y'all manage to feel better soon. I've had pretty good luck with the various medical establishments, so my hope is that you do too - that you find compassion, comfort, and competency.

Meh... I'm not doing anything better...

WARNING: NOVELLA APPROACHING!

Oh, I was all screwed up. I was a passenger in a high-speed (and quite spectacular) automobile wreck. It's a very long (and amusing at points) story. I don't believe I've ever shared it here, but I finally met consequences for the many, many stupid decisions I've made. I've done all sorts of stupid crap and ended up coming out of it unscathed. That time I was not so lucky. All things considered, I somehow survived this one. Dunno how, but it was still pretty lucky.

I smashed all sorts of my important bits. The worst of which was a clean break across the widest part of the femur. Basically, the ball portion of my femur is now attached with screws and a plate. It still hurts. It's a good reminder that I'm too old to keep pushing my luck by doing stupid crap.

Man, of all the injuries, I even broke the bone in a heel.

The g forces were so high that I burst the blood vessels in my eyes. In fact, I was purple more than I was not purple. I had bruising over 80% of my body. I broke some ribs, cracked a few others, and had small fractures across a bunch of other important bits.

Somehow, by pure luck, I didn't have an severely bleeding organs. They were quite surprised by this. I was rather indifferent at that point, 'cause we were still not completely sure I was gonna survive.

The car had restraint harnesses instead of regular seat belts and those left clear imprints on my body. Had it been just plain three point belts, we'd probably be dead. The impact was so great that the harness is what we think broke my femur.

The sloppy math suggests the g forces were low triple digits (about half of the most a human has ever sustained and survived). Your car might be capable of 1 g on the best corner you can perform. Pilots black out at like 9 g. The g forces were lessened 'cause we went through stuff - like straight through a telephone pole.

We kinda blazed a car-shaped trail that would remind you of a cartoon character running through a wall.

The car saved our lives. It broke into thousands of pieces, keeping the passenger cabin intact as much as it could. There were three distinct parts - all disconnected. You had the front of the car, the passenger cabin, and the trunk area of the car. Those were all in different locations. They all looked like scrap metal.

Pretty much every part of the car was broken in some way. Even our seats were bent. There were no useful bits to the car, and it was surely sold for scrap value. The car in question was a few-years old Mustang GT500. So, if you own one it's more valuable because there's now one less. You're welcome!

Anyhow...

The black box and state's investigation bureau decided the car left the 'travel lane' at a speed greater than 120 mph. That sounds about right to me.

We sat there for about 45 minutes (there was no way we could get out and I certainly couldn't get out, before rescue arrived. It was another 45 minutes for 'em to get us as far as the ambulance. From there, it was a bit more than an hour to a hospital. They stabilized me there. I then was tossed into a helicopter and sent to a bigger hospital due to the amount of trauma.

The driver was actually able to hobble out as far as the ambulances and wasn't seriously injured. This is probably a combination of luck and that I'd shown him how to properly wear his harness, 'cause he wasn't doing it properly. (It should be tight enough to make breathing require more force.) He wasn't seriously injured.

The above skips a lot of the good parts of the story. It's also heavily abridged.

I figure you've already solved your problem, so I might as well share this bit of the story here.

Well, my case isn't as bad as yours. And the doctors also said to try and walk around a bit so the muscles don't atrophy. Might as well make a concerted effort on the way back from the toilet lol. The destruction around my ankle is considerable and I just got off a walking stick a few days ago. [Photos of the foot and ankle. It hurts to look at them.]
Moderators and Admins: Please change "Like" to "Sympathize" for that post.

I hope the pain and swelling subside quickly, and it heals (heels?) fully. I had a nearly identical ankle injury and know your pain. It may take some time, but it will get better!

The above skips a lot of the good parts of the story. It's also heavily abridged.
You've said enough to get a picture about the automotive carnage that took place with you in it. My story isn't as glorious as yours, but it is funny.

I am a goofball... and a foreman... with a penchant for cruelty, not literal, but more like jibes I put towards the boys, workmen culture and so forth.

I have a saying that I the guys know about: "You won't hear any praise from me. If your wage isn't enough motivation, then the only reward you will get from me for a job well done is that I will refrain from sticking my boot up your ass on that particular day!"

A few days before my accident a new guy came. There isn't much to be said, until the day of the accident. I saw the boys slacking off on the floor below. If the job gets done right and on time, then I pretty much turn a blind eye to such things. But they were talking about that aforementioned saying I had, and therefore I hatched an evil plan:

I was going to sneak up behind him, give him a light kick in the butt, then yell at him to get his lazy ass to work, and once he got shaken up by the jelling I would have calmed him down and officially welcomed him to the crew.

That was the plan, but what really happened was that I snuck up behind him as he was standing on the edge of the ramp, but as I made the kick, the boy sneezed and lurched forward. I missed with my leg, and started slipping down the ramp with the other one. Just as the other leg reached the end of the ramp, it suddenly caught grip and got twisted inward. I heard the tear, like someone tearing clothes, the next thing I know I was on the floor, squealing like pig from the agony.

So yeah, I nearly broke my foot off someone's ass, just not in the way you expected.

Members online