Best Distribution

faroe

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys, I am new with Linux, and I would like what distribution is best to start with, in order to learn more.

Knowing what your machine spec's are will help us to help you to find a Linux distro that will run on your pc.

Please post your computer's spec's when you have time.

You may want to read this:

As it's going to depend on a lot of variables, pretty much any distro may suit your needs.

Also, why are you answering your own question - but with a 2nd account?

There are NO best distributions, only what is best for you, the one you like the look and feel of, and the one that runs best on your box

Be more concerned with documentation - a good distro is backed up by good documentation to help you learn. Keep notes on what you learn - good to refer back to. Linuxlite is an example of distro that makes it easier for beginners to configure the system - with its pop up menu at the start, particularly when you need to install wireless drivers etc that require proprietary firmware. However as members have said any distro can be a good starting point.

it's just whatever suits your needs, if your a complete begginer the pop os/linux mint might be your best starting point and after that, maybe just use the terminal more to get the hang of it. but almost all distros are pretty good to start on

As others have already said it will depend on several factors 1. Is my hardware supported by the distro I choose?
2. Does it have the programs or are they easy to install that I will need to do my work/play?
3. Do I like the looks of the desktop that is does it please me?
For # 1 Best way to tell is by running the distro from a live session if everything works in live session then it's likely to work when installed.
For #2 Look at the installed programs see if they will meet your needs. ( Remember Linux is not windows and most windows programs will not run on Linux. Some will with programs like wine.) You may have to learn alternatives but it's worth the learning curve.
and For #3 only you can decide what suits you on the desktop try several different ones live KDE, Cinnamon, XFCE, Gnome or others see which one you like the best for both looks and functionality.
With all that behind you the choice should be fairly easy in the end.
Good luck in your search.

@faroe , why not ask @colombcl about using Gentoo, or did you want to run separate Linuxes in the same household?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

The best Distro is the one you like and find easy to use.
happy0015.gif

Members online