Balena Etcher mayhap be using it wrong? Dunno!!

Nik-Ken-Bah

Reaction score
Credits
I recently tried to make a live USB so that I could look at LM 21.1 Cinnamon before I installed it over LM19.2.
Downloaded the ISO and ensured that it was kosher, it was.
I opened Etcher and did every thing by GUI and etched it onto the USB stick. It is easy to use.
When I tried to open the LM 21.1 on the stick but the ASrock motherboard just reverted to the LM 19.2 on the HDD.
The other day I was watching a vid showing how to use the etcher and the fella just dragged and dropped the ISO into the Etcher to write the live disc of LM. it was 21.1 I think from memory.
I do have a laptop on the desk as well but as usual it shat its battery so unable to check via that black box.

So what in blue blazes did I bloody well do wrong?

If you're currently at LM 19.2 just use the "USB Image Writer Tool" that come with mint. It's how I burn all my ISOs, and has never failed me ;)

Hi @Nik-Ken-Bah long time no see.

I have never had problems with Balina-Etcher, it may be that your pen-drive is not fit [older ones work fine as storage but can be a little iffy when it comes to ISO's] try a good quality, one wiped clean and formatted Fats or EX-Fats. Alternatively use the usb writer in Mint, [again never given me a problem]
[ I never use YouTube tutorials, I have found over the years many are lacking in both accuracy and information]
When I tried to open the LM 21.1 on the stick but the ASrock motherboard just reverted to the LM 19.2 on the HDD.
this is usually caused by the bios being set for HDD first boot, you can normally bypass this by using the short or one time boot menu [ https://linux-tips.us/how-do-i-boot-to-usb-or-cd-dvd-if-such-is-available/ ]

Sounds to me as though you didn't boot from the USB flash drive.
Open your bios and set your usb flash drive as the 1st boot device.
You may have an F-Key that opens a Boot Menu to boot from.

I am not sure if this is any help, but I just did pretty much the same thing.

I had to change the UEFI (not BiOS, really) settings to boot to USB as it confused me during the process.

How to explain?

Basically, for reasons I do not understand, the USB was under UEFI in the temporary boot menu and I didn't realize this.

Now, here's where it gets more puzzling...

I finally realized I didn't have to change the boot order and was able to select the USB from the UEFI menu.

BUT... I had the UEFI mode set to "Legacy" - which means it should effectively be BIOS and not UEFI.

I have no idea what happened there. It was after I installed Linux Mint 21.1 that I discovered it was in UEFI mode. So, even after installation, I had to enter the temporary boot menu and select UEFI and it would then start Mint.

This was all very confusing.

At this point, I tried just setting the UEFI settings to UEFI and not to Legacy mode and it happily boots into the OS without any manual intervention. However, I now have a UEFI-based system. I don't mind that but I'm just not quite sure how it came to be that way. It was clearly set to Legacy Mode during the installation process - but I likely just skipped changing that during installation.

My assumption is that I missed something, a tick box or something during the configuration phase.

But, that still doesn't explain how I had to find the bootable Mint USB under the UEFI menu in the first place. It wasn't listed like normal, but was under UEFI in that temporary boot selection menu.

If the above looks like pure gibberish, that's because it is. I have no idea why it behaved that way and trying to adequately explain it seems to be beyond me at this moment in time. I'm as baffled as you might be.

G'day mate, good to hear from you.
Like you, I have an asrock motherboard...so there is a really good chance that the following will work.

Turn the pc of. Then hit the start button and start to tap the F11 key...it should bring up the boot menu.....and you can then arrow down to the usb stick and hit enter.

(If your pc throws up a screen saying asrock.....tap the F11 key then....usually just once or twice is enough.)

Last edited:
G'day Davy, glad you are with us ;)

What's your druther (I'd rather this, I'd rather that)?
  • Performing the exercise with Etcher or
  • Having a newer Mint?
If the former, see if you can let us know a link to the video.

If the latter, you may as well have the latest, 21.2 'Victoria', which you can download from Distrowatch or from the Mint website.

I would advocate the one time boor order (through function key) option, as I use it frequently.

Cheers

Chris

You may have an F-Key that opens a Boot Menu to boot from.
There should be a standard for that. Instead of a different key for each manufacturer, pick an F key, any F key, just pick it, and everyone use the same friggin' key! :mad:

There should be a standard for that. Instead of a different key for each manufacturer, pick an F key, any F key, just pick it, and everyone use the same friggin' key! :mad:
Go to the manufacturers website and look up the model of computer you have to find what F-key it is.

Go to the manufacturers website and look up the model of computer you have to find what F-key it is.
Would be absolutely no need if they all adopted the same key as a standard.
I honestly don't see that being a difficult ask. They have adopted standards for pretty much eveything else.

Would be absolutely no need if they all adopted the same key as a standard.
I honestly don't see that being a difficult ask. They have adopted standards for pretty much eveything else.
If it ain't happened by now I'd say there's a good chance that it ain't going to happen.
It ain't no big deal to go to the manufacturers website to find the Boot menu F-key and Bios F-key.
Once you do that write it down somewhere that is easily accessible.
How hard can that be. :p

It ain't no big deal to go to the manufacturers website to find the Boot menu F-key and Bios F-key
Less of a big deal if you didn't need to go to a site to look it up.
You know how many times a week I have to ask my phone "boot menu for <insert manufcturer here>?"
I think it's just really friggin stupid that they can't all just pick one key :p

:p :p :p

ou know how many times a week I have to ask my phone "boot menu for <insert manufcturer here>?
I dinna have that problem as it is escape on both my platforms I use. Plus on Goldie I can use F2 key as well.

I dinna have that problem as it is escape on both my platforms I use. Plus on Goldie I can use F2 key as well.
And I assume you're not working on multiple different computers a week for clients where this just gets to be a hassle, especially when more than a few manufacturers have different keys depending on model.
Once again I'll say I THINK THERE NEEDS TO BER A STANDARD KEY TO ENTER THE BOOT MENU
There are standards for more than just a few things in the PC industry, why not the boot menu key??
That really isn't a big ask. I'll unwatch this thread and leave it to y'all, since I took this thread wayyy off topic, and I apologize for doing so. ;)

Latest posts