Australia - The Land Down Under

We have 'roos like that around here. They're called "whitetail deer"! Tasty, but stupid.

If one crosses the road in front of your car, don't watch where it went. Watch where it came from because they travel in groups. But watch where it went TOO because they're stupid enough to turn around and try to get you again. And watch where you're going - after all, you -are- driving a car. The good lord gave you three eyes for a reason, you know.

A slightly different 'take' on the establishment of Australia.

Well, well, well.

This American learned of some of these things quite some time ago! I couldn't tell you specific names, but I do know that a lot of people sent to Australia were purveyors of human rights and progress.

I think it the time of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert? If so, that was quite rich considering Prince Alberts' stance as an Abolitionist and continuing slavery in the United States.

They're called "whitetail deer"!

Around here, they get over 300 pounds.

Then, there are moose. Those are 1500+ pounds and so stupid that I'm not sure how they're not extinct.

(They are all delicious. Kangaroo is also delicious.)

Meet the barefoot band of outback Queensland kids on a mission to start a junior cricket team​

ABC Far North
/ By Chris Calcino and Adam Stephen
Posted Sat 20 Apr 2024 at 12:32pmSaturday 20 Apr 2024 at 12:32pm, updated Sun 21 Apr 2024 at 1:13pm

1713833756937.png

Fire ants are a damaging invasive species that pose risks to livestock and humans.

I had a very brief encounter with fire ants in the SE part of the US. (They don't survive up here, thankfully.)

They suck. They hurt - and it's the kind of hurt that lasts for hours. It's not like being stung. It's like someone put a cigarette out on your arm. Well, not quite that bad.

I had good advice and washed the bites with clean cold water. It still sucked but that made it suck less.

ANZAC DAY. 25th April, 2024

Lest We Forget

Well, well, well.

This American learned of some of these things quite some time ago! I couldn't tell you specific names, but I do know that a lot of people sent to Australia were purveyors of human rights and progress.

I think it the time of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert? If so, that was quite rich considering Prince Alberts' stance as an Abolitionist and continuing slavery in the United States.

The reason the British started sending convicts to Australia was because they lost the Americas...many of those convicts were guilty of stealing something minor like a loaf of bread to feed a starving family.
1714025103731.gif

All this happened long before Queen Victoria...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convicts_in_Australia

We are proud of our convict past because these poor people built this great country we live in today.
m1212.gif
1714025801235.gif

I don't care what you are doing just now.....STOP....pull up a stump and watch this.

(The video will take 7 minutes out of your day) IF YOU HAVE A BIG SCREEN TV ETC....THROW IT UP ON THERE

1714182886328.png

1714182940774.png

1714183089495.png

Last edited:

View attachment 19516
Fire ants are a damaging invasive species that pose risks to livestock and humans.

According to this...
https://www.fireants.org.au/treat/r...use-fire-ant-bait/fire-ant-bait-product-guide
this...https://www.bunnings.com.au/pestxpert-150g-nest-kill-granular-ant-bait_p3010423
Will do the trick.
Not looking forward to these ants coming to NSW.
1714193661677.gif

New Info---re baiting/controlling of Fire Ants

@KGIII & @wizardfromoz please take note.

Treatment types

We use two different fire ant nest treatments, both approved by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) — fire ant bait and direct nest injection. Both treatments have different purposes, application methods and results.

Fire ant bait

Bait treatment is lightly scattered across backyards and garden areas as well as parklands and paddocks, by helicopter, utility terrain vehicle and/or hand spreader.

Fire ants collect the bait and take it back to the nest. The active ingredient/s are passed around the colony, leading to the death of the worker ants, larvae and queens. Multiple treatments may need to destroy all nests. Fire ant bait is safe for the environment, humans and pets.

Type of baitActive ingredientsTypically found inExpected results
Fast-acting bait (used to treat the immediate area around nests)Contains indoxacarb or a combination of hydramethylon and pyriproxyfenCockroach baits / dog and cat flea collarsReduction in nest activity in 1–4 weeks, and nest death soon after
Slow-acting insect growth regulator (IGR) to make the queen infertile (used to treat the rest of the property)Contain S-methoprene or pyriproxyfenMosquito control / dog and cat flea collarsNest naturally dies out in 3–4 months
It is made of small pieces of corn grit soaked in soy bean oil and an active ingredient. The active ingredients are the same as those found in household pest control products such as cockroach baits, mosquito control products, and flea collars for pets.

On an average residential block (approximately 500 m2) up to 100 grams of bait will be used in each treatment. The corn grit has only 0.045% (fast-acting bait) and 0.5% (slow-acting bait) active ingredient, meaning very small amounts of insecticide is used.

For a more exhaustive run down, instructions for residential properties, farmers business's, sporting groups, PETS and animals. etc

There are many links contained in these url's

Fortunately, I'm too far north for them to survive. Though, as the climate changes, that too will change.

We're even seeing possums now, but those are mostly in southern Maine.

Also, we don't have anything really venomous (or poisonous) in my area.

We have storms that will take your power out for a week (plus winds gusting up to 120 kph happen several times per year) and bury you in snow, but we don't have much else like that. We don't even have major earthquakes as we're geologically stable.

Members online