Australia - The Land Down Under

Australia's first international goal of women's soccer was scored by Sandra Brentnall in boots that didn't fit her​

It was the first test match against New Zealand, with thousands in attendance, and Brentnall was wearing boots that were two sizes too big, stuffed with newspaper.

"They were cheap plastic boots from Target," Brentnall said.
3ad264d1b31abd338437081dd184187d.png

Kicked out for 'being a girl'

Sandra, today

f461969f215eb4292b113d3751385014.png

state_temperatures_20230720.jpg

glenn_innes_20230720.jpg

So that, ^^^ is why I felt so cold !!!

Feel free to decide that this doesn't fit here, as it's only partially Australian...

kgiii said:
Here in America, we have a dedicated fan base for the Holden Utes. We have this fancy technology that lets us see and hear things over a dedicated network we call the world wide web. Because of this, the number of people who profess a desire for a proper 'Ute' is pretty high.

This got me thinking and I consulted Google. There's a state in the US called "Utah" and it's pronounced, "Utah" (I initially wrote this to share elsewhere, but decided not to.)

Even better, there's a Holden, Utah - which is why I consulted Google as my mind was already working.

We can't import Australian cars unless they're 25 years old. We can only register certain vehicles, just like most other developed nations. As cars don't follow worldwide standards, we have to wait until we can import them.

So, when the car is old enough to import legally, I should start a business.

I can call it "Holden Ute Ah Imports" and have the physical address in Holden, Utah.

Seriously... Someone should do this. We'd need someone to curate a collection of well-maintained Utes to get it started on the Australian side, and someone willing to do receivership on the US side.

There's easily a market for thousands of them, maybe tens of thousands of them - which isn't all that many, but with a low real estate footprint and selling online, it'd possibly be quite lucrative. There are other great cars that will soon be legal to import.

There... I shared that elsewhere yesterday.

I thought it was amusing. I'd actually consider approaching a bank for this, if I had the energy and desire for gainful employment. (I'm not willing to spend my money on this idea, but I'd spend the bank's money doing so.) Obviously, there are a bunch of other cars that Americans want, so there's more to import than just the almighty Holden.

So, as I'm not going to do anything with it, someone else can have the idea - name and all.

'My Country" (Core of My Heart), written by Dorothea Mackellar. 5th September, 1908
My Country is widely known in Australia, especially its second stanza, which begins: "I love a sunburnt country/A land of sweeping plains,/Of ragged mountain ranges,/Of droughts and flooding rains."
I love her far horizons, I love her jewel sea, Her beauty and her terror, The wide brown land for me."

The people of Lismore, NSW, Australia are obviously made of the stern stuff that Dorothea Mackellar spoke of.

Washed away

A struggle to make sense of the largest flood in modern Australian history
Photography and words David Maurice Smith

Last edited:
MY COUNTRY: first published as : CORE OF MY HEART.

THE love of field and coppice,

Of green and shaded lanes, 'Of ordered woods and gardens,

Is running in your veins— Strong love of grey-blue dis-

tance, Brown streams and soft, dim skies . . . .

I know but cannot share it, My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country, A land of sweeping plains, Of ragged mountain ranges, Of droughts and flooding rains.

I love her far horizons, I love her jewel-sea, Her beauty and her terror— The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests All tragic 'neath the moon, The sapphire-misted moun- tains,

The hot gold hush of noon—

Green tangle of the brushes Where lithe lianas coil, And orchids deck the tree-tops, And ferns the crimson soil. Core of my heart, my country— Her pitiless blue sky, When sick at heart, around us We see the cattle die . . . . And then the grey clouds gather, And we can bless again The drumming of an army, The steady, soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country.

Land of the Rainbow gold— For flood and fire and famine She pays us back three- fold . . . .

Over the thirsty paddocks Watch, after many days, The filmy veil of greenness That thickens as you

gaze . . . .

An opal-hearted country,

A wilful, lavish land—

All, you who have not loved her, You will not understand . . Though Earth holds many splendours, Wherever I may die, I know to what brown country My homing thoughts will fly.

DOROTHEA MACRELLAIL. (Dorothea Mackellar)

Published by the Spectator, 5th September, 1908 (United Kingdom)

Australia is a multicultural society.
It consists of many, many different nationalities and cultures....among them are people from the Philippines.

The males are referred to as Filipinos and the female as Filipinas

Their story is an interesting one, as is the story of any nationality who chose to call Australia home....be it English, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Lebanese, Italian, Icelandic, American, New Zealanders, irish, Scottish, etc etc etc etc....we have them all here, spread right across this bvast country

Here are just a few of the Filipinas stories:

Filipina women were part of a great Australian migration, but they had to overcome the mail-order bride sterotype​

Filipino-Australian says her 300,000-strong community 'hasn't had a voice' but plans to change that​

Filipino pastry chef Norerriz Labrador finds his true passion in photographing Australian nature​

^^^^(this is an especially good read)

Riverland's Filipino community biggest non-English speaking group of migrants, report shows​

Are there any people, members of Linux.org, from outside Australia who have chosen here as their home?

Feel free to post about your experiences here (usual forum rules apply)

iu

Platipodes have horrible mouths, as I recall. It's not venom, but so full of bacteria that it'll kill you.

I should probably Google this first.

Also, of note, that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. It just means we shouldn't screw with 'em, except maybe to fix any problems we've caused them.

The only species of animal that I think shouldn't exist is the mosquito. No, not even the mosquito fish gets the majority of their diet from mosquitoes. Additionally, the bat study that says they eat a bunch of them was actually done in a faulty manner - where there were just mosquitoes to eat. No other species will die out if we were to eradicate mosquitoes and they're the deadliest animal on the planet.

But, everyone loves a platypus.

Good link and I'll have fun reading the last two. (I haven't read 'em yet.)

The Impossible Outback Romance of Borroloola
Borroloola is a tiny township located a daunting 954 km south-east of Darwin and 380 km east from the Stuart Highway. Put another way that’s 760 km return - just from the main north-south highway. There is nothing in between and only a solitary town of around 800 people (over 600 of whom are Aborigines living outside the town) which is on McArthur River which, in turn, is 50 km upstream from the Gulf of Carpentaria.
Established in the late 19th century, Borroloola quickly acquired a reputation as a wild frontier town. Drovers moving cattle between the Kimberley and Western Queensland stopped in the town and a trade in rum, smuggled from Thursday Island, was established. It became known as a centre for criminals, murderers and alcoholics - a reputation it only lost in the 1930s.
The town in those early days was beautifully captured in an article which appeared in the Northern Standard in 1931. The writer recalls: "What a motley crowd they were! Brumby runners from the Calvert and Robinson Rivers, the Orphan (Jack Martin) Jack Sherringham (who the police were after for lifting horses in Queensland) Pigweed Harry (Harry Herbert), Billy Hynes (Billy the Informer), Big Eyed Billy, Johnnie Mooney and others. Old Billy Macleod (an old Palmer prospector and a great bushman and one of the whitest men in the north) with his two partners, O'Brien and Hunt (also old time Palmer prospectors) were starting a store at the landing ... A few days after we arrived, a schooner came up the river and made fast at the landing. The schooner was the 'Good Intent' and Black Jack Reid, or Maori Reid, owner in command of her. Her first mate was a big buck American nigger. We never heard his name, but christened him 'Smoked Beef'." [I apologise for the 1930s racism].
With such a reputation it is surprising that one of the most persistent legends about the town relates to a huge outback library. The story goes that in the 1890s the resident officer in charge of the Borroloola Police Station, an Irishman named Cornelius Power, decided to establish a town library. He was granted a small sum of money and duly ordered some books from Mudie's Select Library in London. From that point the story becomes blurred. Somehow, by the 1920s, the library had grown to 3000 volumes and, Northern Territory mythologising being what it is, the rumour mongers had a field day.
Some people suggested that a grant of books had been made by Lord Hopetoun the Governor of Victoria and later the first Australian Governor-General. Another theory was that, sometime in the 1920s, the Carnegie Trust of USA or the Andrew Carnegie Foundation (sources differ) were asked for some good reading material and had sent books to a number of isolated settlements and consequently the library at Borroloola was expanded.
The library was initially housed in the Court House but when it was demolished they were transferred to the local lockup. The predictable joke of well-educated criminals is supposed to have become a reality when W. E. (Bill) Harney was gaoled for six months for cattle duffing. Certainly Harney went on to write a number of books and by 1958 he had been appointed official curator at Uluru.
Equally the Hermit of Borroloola, Roger Jose, who lived for years in a 1000-gallon drum, reputedly knew vast sections of Virgil's Aeneid in Latin.
Today the remnants of the library have been dispersed. At the end of World War II the library was taken to Darwin where it was stored in a shed behind the Administration Buildings. Those books that weren't destroyed by silverfish, cockroaches, mildew, and the humidity of the tropics, found their way into private collections or simply disappeared.
Visitors to the town today can go to the Old Police Station Museum where a single volume from this great library is on display. I checked with Janet Webber at the Museum who explained: "We have only one of the library books. We received it about three years ago - a large Webster's Dictionary - the family who had it decided that it deserved to go home to Borroloola as it had survived the big Katherine floods of 1998. It had originally been borrowed/taken in the 1930's and had been in the family since then."
I love it. A place of wildness and romance far removed from the sedate urban lifestyle most Australians now live. Once there were wildmen … and they were learned. Check out http://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/borroloola-nt and be amazed.
Borroloola, NT - Aussie Towns

BOROLOOLA
https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/borroloola-nt

http://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/borroloola-nt

What is the breed of dog below....It is a Kelpie...of course.

Like much of Australia's early folklore, the origins of the Dog on the Tuckerbox are clouded in mystery, uncertainty and controversy.
Yet, as with 'Waltzing Matilda', its origins lie firmly in the Australian bush and the early pioneers - who, in this case, forged west and south from the colonial headquarters in Sydney, following the explorers searching for the source of the Murrumbidgee River. Several of them took up holdings in the Gundagai district in 1830-50.
They were challenging and hazardous, with bullock teams transporting supplies and stores along makeshift tracks over rough terrain. To pass the time while often being bogged or for the river level to fall at crossings such as Muttama Creek near Gundagai, 'bullockies' would recite doggerel and rhymes picked up on their travels - and, sometimes, even write a few lines. The bullocky's Dog would often sit guarding its master's Tuckerbox and possessions while he was away seeking help.
So was the legend of 'The Dog on the Tuckerbox' born in the 1850s. Whoever the author (using the pen name 'Bowyang Yorke'), the verse was amended sometime later and promoted as a poem by Jack Moses. Its popularity quickly spread, capturing the imagination of Australians both in the bush and throughout the colony.
Though the legend was also immortalised by Jack O'Hagan in 1937 in his famous song that put Gundagai on the world map, controversy continued over the exact location of the monument - 5 or 9 miles from the town - and later, on whether to move the famous monument in, or closer to, the town.
Image: Australian Kelpies: Neil Young
Source:thedogonthetuckerbox
#Gundagai #Australia #Tuckerbox #NSW #WaltzingMatilda
Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre
Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre
Australian Rural Heritage -Spectacular history museum featuring immersive and interactive..

1691914286965.png

Sydney Opera House

The People’s House​

It’s one of the greatest buildings of the 20th century. Fifty years after the Sydney Opera House opened its doors, we look at how this bold experiment has shaped Australia.

See the article Here....Pics galore.

Members online

Latest posts