ASUS Zenbook 14 UM425UA keyboard not respond during cold boot

nadrolinux

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
I have ASUS Zenbook 14 UM425UA (Ryzen 5 5500U + 16GB RAM version), but builtin keyboard doesn't work in both GDM and Gnome session (both X11 and Wayland) after cold power on, but works properly after reboot. GRUB menu works properly all the time. During problematic boots I see "Can't read CTR while initializing i8042" kernel error. I tried tricks with ignore "Asus WMI hotkeys" and blacklist Intel Virtual Button driver (this model has AMD APU however), but nothing seems to work. I tried to run Ubuntu 20.04 (HWE enabled), Ubuntu 20.10, Ubuntu 21.04 and Fedora 33, however all distributions have the same problem. I tried Kernel 5.11.3 and 5.12.0rc2 for Ubuntu kernel PPA without success too. I don't have options related to keyboard in UEFI and whole UEFI is very basic. ASUS didn't provide newer UEFI yet. Touchpad works properly all the time. Did you have similar problems with your laptops?
BTW. Hibernation doesn't work too even on kernel 5.11+ (this kernel has AMD SoC PMC driver), but this is a topic for another thread. Keyboard is more problematic from my point of view.
Best regards,
Patryk

I am also having the same issue with the same laptop (UM425UA Ryzen 5 5500U + 16GB RAM version)

Is there any debug information I can provide to help solve the issue?

I found the specs for your Asus laptop.

With kernel 5.11 there is support for Asus laptops but it's for Asus Gaming laptops.

If a higher version of the kernel doesn't help see if there is an update for your BIOS.

**Make sure that the update for your BIOS is for the "exact make and model" of your Asus laptop.**

This search might be useful:

Aside from that maybe try rolling back to an older version of the kernel and see if that works.
Sorry I don't know more.

Hello, I have got exactly the same issues with my ZenBook UX325 (16GB, OLED, Ryzen 7 5700U). I even had similar issues with Lenovo Yoga 7 Slim Pro. The situation with Yoga was even worse because there didn't work not only the keyboard but the touchpad too, so without an external mouse there was impossible to do the non-cold OS restart.

take a look at this article, [it has worked for others] But read it ALL before you start doing anything

Bwiz

I have the UM425UA (Ryzen 7 5700U + 16GB RAM version) and just got this to work. For some reason removing xserver-xorg-input-all and reinstalling seems to work:

sudo apt remove xserver-xorg-input-all
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-all

Also, hibernation is working fine for me with a swap partition. I just followed the steps in the top answer here.

I was having this problem when trying to unlock LUKS on the llvm-encrypted hard disk on my ASUS UM425U laptop at startup. Keyboard works during GRUB but doesn't work at the LUKS screen or after. A usb keyboard-mouse combo does the trick, or booting a lower kernel (5.8.18 works but other ASUS features do not)

reinstalling xserver-xorg-input-all did not work. Neither did preloading i2c_hid, hid_multitouch and hid_generic in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules/

I first noticed this when upgrading from kernel 5.8 to 5.11. When running initramfs it has a couple warnings about missing amdgpu drivers. Checking the lspci -k output from each kernel, amdgpu is present in 5.11 but not 5.08 "lspci -k" outputs

I subsequently blacklisted the amdgpu drivers by adding "blacklist amdgpu" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and subsequently running "sudo update-initramfs -u". Worked at restoring the keyboard, but killed hdmi output. Restoring the amdgpu driver and rerunning initramfs did not generate errors and got the keyboard working, but am I right back where I started?

I have this problem as well with new ASUS Zenbook UM425UA and Linux Mint Mate 20.2. I upgraded the kernel to 5.11.0-27, which fixed other things, but not this. Also reinstalling xserver-xorg didn't do it. Touchpad and external mouse work fine. Just no keyboard on cold boot. So everytime we use the laptop, we have to reboot to get a keyboard. One odd thing is that any boot, cold or restart, causes the backlit keyboard to turn on, to high. Doesn't happen on the Win10 side, just with Mint.

I was having this problem when trying to unlock LUKS on the llvm-encrypted hard disk on my ASUS UM425U laptop at startup. Keyboard works during GRUB but doesn't work at the LUKS screen or after. A usb keyboard-mouse combo does the trick, or booting a lower kernel (5.8.18 works but other ASUS features do not)

reinstalling xserver-xorg-input-all did not work. Neither did preloading i2c_hid, hid_multitouch and hid_generic in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules/

I first noticed this when upgrading from kernel 5.8 to 5.11. When running initramfs it has a couple warnings about missing amdgpu drivers. Checking the lspci -k output from each kernel, amdgpu is present in 5.11 but not 5.08 "lspci -k" outputs

I subsequently blacklisted the amdgpu drivers by adding "blacklist amdgpu" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and subsequently running "sudo update-initramfs -u". Worked at restoring the keyboard, but killed hdmi output. Restoring the amdgpu driver and rerunning initramfs did not generate errors and got the keyboard working, but am I right back where I started?

PS this did not end up working

Hi all - I found that recompiling the kernel worked at both solving the keyboard problem but also getting other features working like brightness control and fan speed lowered. I wrote up a tutorial here:

Some details on things that didn't work are listed at the bottom.

Hi all - I found that recompiling the kernel worked at both solving
If your now happy please edit post title to include "solved"

thanks

Thanks for the tip, danb. Will give this a try. So far, nothing else has worked.

Still haven't had a chance to rebuild the kernel. However, since we're on 5.11, I followed danb's suggestion to add i8042.reset=1 to grub. And it took care of having to warm boot to login. So thanks for that one. Touchpad is not fully functional yet (no right click and no num pad), but that's for another day....

I have had luck with applying i8042.reset to my bootloader to fix the keyboard not working on cold boot.
I am running Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS, so to apply the option I had to append `i8042.reset` to the options line in my /boot/efi/loader/entries/Pop_OS-current.conf

I hope this helps others.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts