Ashamed

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
I am way for a few days, as usual I came with the laptop with my Parotsec drive in it. They have a new wi-fi set up here and no matter what I tried, it would not connect [the Iphone connected immediately] in the travel bag I also had one of my test drives with mint and w7 on it, so swapped out the drives and tried Mint 21, It also refused to connect with the wi-fi, so I then tried W7 and bang connected immediately. So for the next few days I will hang my head in shame and put up with windows

You guys need an attitude reorientation. You came, you had WiFi problems, you managed to find a workaround that got you online with a reasonable size display and a keyboard.

Realistically, how many people do you know who could do that with available resources on hand?

McGivver never apologizes for choosing a rusty nail, a rubber band, and a piece of chewing gum to repair the shower handle at the campground, right?

Why be ashamed.
I use Linux but if Linux did not work where I was temporary visiting for a few days than I'd use Windows or I wouldn't be on the internet.
I mean it's not the end of the world is it so hold your head up and use Widows if you must be online.
What is worse than using Windows OS is using an OS that is no longer supported.

We might have to put you in the stocks for a punishment and pelt you with rotten apples and tomatoes, Brian.

b-zo-rud6-imgur-gif.15953

If I know Brian like I think I do, and the British sense of humour, his tongue is firmly stuck to the inside of his cheek. On the shame bit, not the Windows captivity.

If not ... well, that's tragic, Brian, do you think you'll be needing therapy afterwards? It might be available under the National Health.

Wizard

W7, oh wow, surprised you even had it! :lol:

W7, oh wow, surprised you even had it! :lol:
it's the original S L O W plate spinner that came [second hand] with the laptop, I know being windows It's far from secure, but this drive doesn't contain any critical information, and I won't be going to any such sites.

and I won't be going to any such sites.

I know nothing about Win7.

Back in the day, the average online time to infection was something like 5 minutes unless you had enabled the firewall. So, the steps would possibly be to install, enable the firewall, perform updates, add AV software, install a different browser, and probably consider installing a third-party software firewall.

Also, you had to disable something... I forget the exact name, but it was a service that let you get messages over the network. That had an exploit that let people compromise your machine as quickly as they could find it by scanning the public IP space for vulnerable devices.

Messenger Service, maybe? This was a long time ago.

If you installed from the disk with SP1 included, it wasn't as much of a problem. That included an update that closed that hole in the system.

Just because your device doesn't contain any critical information doesn't mean it's not a vector to other devices on your network and, perhaps more importantly, you could still become a part of a botnet, a spam relay, or a dump (which is when they use your computer to store files, often files of questionable legality).

Of those, I'd be more concerned with being part of a botnet or a spam relay.

I have no idea if Win7 is anything like XP in those regards. Given how long it has gone without support, I would not be even a little surprised if it was trivial to compromise it. People still use it, so it probably remains a juicy enough target for malware authors.

Some people block anything that's not Windows and/or Mac.

I would carry a Windows laptop with a stick containing a few Puppies when travel.

Staff online

Members online