Are we OK with the Ads we get in this forum?

With or without add blocker, the only time I see adverts on Linux-org is if i don't sign in

No. It's a little over the top with the amount of ads. My page has more area covered by ads than by the actual forum page. Is this something the site owner is in control of? If we had a membership fee could we eliminate it? I was part of a couple forums (non linux related) that had board sponsor(s). Basically they had their logo embedded in the header and had one section dedicated to questions or issues with his/product or service. Way less intrusive and to my understanding paid a pretty hefty fee to be the sponsor. Kept the board open and free and always up to date.

I use Ghostery. Blocks all ads.
Honestly, when I first got here, I thought this was a spam site and something to avoid. I wonder how many people stumble on this and immediately leave because the ads are the type that are always trying to trick you into clicking their links instead of a site link. This is a really well run board from what I can tell so far, I just wonder how many potentially good members are leaving without even taking a good look>

FYI, just installed ghostery for firefox and there's not a single add on my page. Took about 15 seconds to add it, refresh the page and boom, ad free. And their open source. Thank you mrcrossroads!

Ghostery is a bit too extreme, and I didn't like the page it kept insisting on to accept installing it. I ran into an issue with UBlock Origin which made me take it off and put in Ghostery... but after a few minutes I noticed the great error committed. :/

I dislike filtering entire sections of a web page for some places are annoying about it. For at least a year I've been getting problems with slow download servers trying to load images for ages. One site I like to visit has to download the same exact image which is about 1200x400 whether or not it's already located locally. So much for fast response.

I remember using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer way back, about 20 years back. It was snappy display web pages. Now Firefox is becoming as clunky and slow as I remembered Internet Explorer being. But that's the technology crash.

FYI, just installed ghostery for firefox and there's not a single add on my page. Took about 15 seconds to add it, refresh the page and boom, ad free. And their open source. Thank you mrcrossroads!
No problem.
For the record, I do subscribe to the Silver plan here to help support the site.

Don't wish to see adds ?
Install brave brower and then work your way through the settings.

In answer to @gvisoc's actual question...
what ads do we want this forum to present so that:
1. they're not disturbing, or at least not too distracting
2. If possible, they are ethical ads from eithical companies
3. so that we can lower down our adblockers and give some cash to the forum.

.....up to the boss, Rob.
He has to get a tick of approval showing that the adds are worth someone's while to add them to this site

if there is no tick of approval, funding dries up. no funding = no linux.org

Preferably the sort of advertising that would not make my wife blush.

Members online