• We did not send an email asking for donations - please read this post.

Any of you have experience using SSH or networking through a tablet?

CrazedNerd

Reaction score
Credits
Im wondering if any of you use tablets, or a non laptop/destop device to use command line shells to control other devices. Im asking this because ive been thinking of getting a cheap laptop for this purpose, yet i think it would be need to use something even smaller (like an android tablet) to browse code and directories inside of a server that i gave the device access to...

You can also talk about experiences with laptops you use this way, im just brainstorming and trying to learn.

OP
CrazedNerd

CrazedNerd

Reaction score
Credits
Yup. I had issues getting a number of the clients to work, but JuiceSSH did the trick.
You use that for your terminal emulator as well, or something else?

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
That's it. That's all I use to SSH into devices to control them.

I've tried a bunch of them and they were all lacking in some way - many not working at all. This one worked first time and then every time. So, I stick with it.

I doubt I'd use it to manage something important. You have no real way of knowing where the data goes, unless you write your own application. I doubt it's opensource. I just don't use it for anything that's public facing. I also don't use it often. Sometimes I'll be watching something and just have the tablet handy, and that's when I'll use it.

OP
CrazedNerd

CrazedNerd

Reaction score
Credits
I recently tried to use Juice SSH and Termius, i thought the latter was suspicious because at asks for your email before you can download it which seems to defeat the point of having SSH...but i submitted it anyway since i figured they weren't asking so they could spy on my activities. Termius recently notified me that they're going to shut down my account anyway because i'm not using it.

I eventually just hit a wall and gave up because i wasn't finding anything online that easily explained how to configure the server on my computer so that anything could connect to it with a password, plus it's just a novelty for now, it's not like i need to log in to SSH for work or anything. That script i just posted in the helpful script thread would certainly be useful in terms of finding configuration files for server programs.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Members online