Any of you have experience using SSH or networking through a tablet?

C

CrazedNerd

Im wondering if any of you use tablets, or a non laptop/destop device to use command line shells to control other devices. Im asking this because ive been thinking of getting a cheap laptop for this purpose, yet i think it would be need to use something even smaller (like an android tablet) to browse code and directories inside of a server that i gave the device access to...

You can also talk about experiences with laptops you use this way, im just brainstorming and trying to learn.

Yup. I had issues getting a number of the clients to work, but JuiceSSH did the trick.

That's it. That's all I use to SSH into devices to control them.

I've tried a bunch of them and they were all lacking in some way - many not working at all. This one worked first time and then every time. So, I stick with it.

I doubt I'd use it to manage something important. You have no real way of knowing where the data goes, unless you write your own application. I doubt it's opensource. I just don't use it for anything that's public facing. I also don't use it often. Sometimes I'll be watching something and just have the tablet handy, and that's when I'll use it.

I recently tried to use Juice SSH and Termius, i thought the latter was suspicious because at asks for your email before you can download it which seems to defeat the point of having SSH...but i submitted it anyway since i figured they weren't asking so they could spy on my activities. Termius recently notified me that they're going to shut down my account anyway because i'm not using it.

I eventually just hit a wall and gave up because i wasn't finding anything online that easily explained how to configure the server on my computer so that anything could connect to it with a password, plus it's just a novelty for now, it's not like i need to log in to SSH for work or anything. That script i just posted in the helpful script thread would certainly be useful in terms of finding configuration files for server programs.

Members online