allocating disk space

Red Banana

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys, i want to attach this empty space to my kali linux system , i have dualboot and how do i do it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-26_10-12-59.png
    Screenshot_2024-03-26_10-12-59.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 75

Hello guys, i want to attach this empty space to my kali linux system , i have dualboot and how do i do it
As per the screenshot it is clearly visible that you can use an allocated space of 48.83 GiB to expand your Kali Linux partition. But before doing so, we would recommend to take the data backup. Once you have done that, follow these tips:
  • Booting in a live environment
  • Run GParted after boot process completed
  • Identify your Kali Linux partition
  • Resize the partition and apply changes
  • One optional tip is to Resize the filesystem using the
    Code:
    resize2fs
    command in the terminal.

As per the screenshot it is clearly visible that you can use an allocated space of 48.83 GiB to expand your Kali Linux partition. But before doing so, we would recommend to take the data backup. Once you have done that, follow these tips:
  • Booting in a live environment
  • Run GParted after boot process completed
  • Identify your Kali Linux partition
  • Resize the partition and apply changes
  • One optional tip is to Resize the filesystem using the
    Code:
    resize2fs
    command in the terminal.
how do i backup this data, i mean where should i take 40 gigs kali

how do i backup this data, i mean where should i take 40 gigs kali

buy a 64 GB USB Stick, or google cloud, or an external hard drive, or just mount the windows partition and save it there - this wont preserve the file attributes though (user, read-write-execute permissions of ext4).

Also you don't need to backup the whole operating system, just the data in /home and /etc (most likely, depending on what you did with it).

I would deem it unlikely that you will mess up your install with gparted by resizing that disk, but better to be sure.

If you do just reinstall kali, doesnt take that long. Also a good time to learn how to restore backups ;)

buy a 64 GB USB Stick, or google cloud, or an external hard drive, or just mount the windows partition and save it there - this wont preserve the file attributes though (user, read-write-execute permissions of ext4).

Also you don't need to backup the whole operating system, just the data in /home and /etc (most likely, depending on what you did with it).

I would deem it unlikely that you will mess up your install with gparted by resizing that disk, but better to be sure.

If you do just reinstall kali, doesnt take that long. Also a good time to learn how to restore backups ;)
since i can't yet get 64gb stick i would stick to reinstall kali , once i dualbooted i thought it 40 gigs would be enough for kali but now it is not .. anyways is there any other option to somehow attach those 2 partitions

In gparted, just go to partition, then new, then click on the un-allocated space.

You cannot merge the partitions with Windows or from your running Kali. You have to boot on almost any live Linux USB and run Gparted from the live version. Then from Gparted, you would click on the ext4 partition in your photo (/dev/nvme0n1p5), to select it, click on Partition on the top menu in Gparted, click on Resize/Move, and adjust as needed there to make it bigger.

Or go find a video:
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=how+to+expand+a+partition+with+gparted&ia=web

You cannot merge the partitions with Windows or from your running Kali. You have to boot on almost any live Linux USB and run Gparted from the live version. Then from Gparted, you would click on the ext4 partition in your photo (/dev/nvme0n1p5), to select it, click on Partition on the top menu in Gparted, click on Resize/Move, and adjust as needed there to make it bigger.

Or go find a video:
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=how+to+expand+a+partition+with+gparted&ia=web
all right , thank you <3

I think this person should switch to ubuntu, Fedora, or Mint. Not sure why you are using Kali it is and never was meant to be used as a regular distro. it is for security penetration.

In gparted, just go to partition, then new, then click on the un-allocated space.
thank you <3
I think this person should switch to ubuntu, Fedora, or Mint. Not sure why you are using Kali it is and never was meant to be used as a regular distro. it is for security penetration.
thank you for your answear .. i was using mint , but now i am in process of learning kali and pentesting