Alerts

click on menu, type in Notifications

Take a peek at the settings there

Mine below

1705220524079.png

You can always have a peek in your preferences on your linux.org page

Tick whatever you want an alert for etc

This does not affect how long they stay for.

off topic....I just noticed you are still using LM 20.2

Its end of life comes inApril 2025.

When you get close to that date, or sometime before if it suits, a fresh install to Linux Mint 21.3 would be good

There have been a great deal of improvements since 2021

write down all the apps you have istalled and the various changes you have made....it helps a great deal after a fresh install

Last edited:
G'day @wildman if this is about alerts at linux.org, the venue for questions of that nature is

Forum Assistance

I can move this there, once you let us know.

Cheers

Wizard

If this is about alerts on Linux Mint, you can also press SHIFT + SUPER + C.

Yes it is about the alerts here at the forum. I would like to clean up that area.
Always,
Wildman

If this is about alerts on Linux Mint, you can also press SHIFT + SUPER + C.

Where's the SUPER Key ? Is it like the Return Key ?
m19153.gif

Where's the SUPER Key ? Is it like the Return Key ?
m19153.gif

It's really called the 'Win Key', but Linux users sometimes get a bit butthurt with that. It's the key with the WIN on it or the Windows logo on it. It's usually on the left, between CTRL and ALT. Linux users like to call it the SUPER key.

I believe it's the CMD key on an Apple keyboard.

I'll move this to Forum Assistance and then post a reply.

Wiz

G'day @wildman

If you look at the top right of your forum page, you'll see a part that looks a bit like this

vpBhHBE.png

...yours will have a tiny picture of your avatar (chosen picture) and wildman.

Click the bell icon where you normally see your notifications, and at the bottom of the dropdown box you will see

Preferences

Click that.

It will take you to a page in your Account for Preferences.

If you then scroll down to the part that says

Receive a notification when someone…​

you can then read those carefully and check or uncheck options as you wish, and once done, click the

Save

button at bottom.

Hope this helps

Wizard

That is normal. It is like a buffer that may be held for the current day.

If you have changed settings today, see what happens tomorrow.

I don't think we have a facility for clearing what is currently showing.

Cheers

Wiz

A quick look (here and here) explains that any unread alerts will automatically expire and be removed after 30 days. The duration that already-read user alerts remain visible is configurable for the forum, not each individual user. Currently, my oldest is from 5 days ago... so that seems to be the setting for how long they will remain visible on this forum.

Use @wizardfromoz's instructions above to give you control over your alerts... uncheck those alerts that you don't want to see, and save your changes. But it looks like you'll have to wait about 5 days for old alerts to clear from your list.

A quick look (here and here) explains that any unread alerts will automatically expire and be removed after 30 days. The duration that already-read user alerts remain visible is configurable for the forum, not each individual user. Currently, my oldest is from 5 days ago... so that seems to be the setting for how long they will remain visible on this forum.

Use @wizardfromoz's instructions above to give you control over your alerts... uncheck those alerts that you don't want to see, and save your changes. But it looks like you'll have to wait about 5 days for old alerts to clear from your list.
This is Linux shouldn't it be better than that?
Always,
Wildman

@wildman , left click on the notification icon in the system tray, and then select clear notifications.

That will clear all of them, instantly

Just a second thought....do you have notification in LINUX, enabled ?

To be sure, click on menu...type in notifications...open it ....Then see the screenshot in Post #2

So, you will have notifications enabled in the Linux.org site...as well as on your PC

That works for me, please give it a go and let me know.

1705357168837.png

Last edited:
It's really called the 'Win Key',

Yes I knew that...but never heard it called the Super Key...I never use it anyway.
m1213.gif

never heard it called the Super Key
From Wikipedia:
Super key (❖) is an alternative and older name for what is commonly labelled as the Windows key or Command key on modern keyboards, typically bound and handled as such by Linux and BSD operating systems and software today.
It's been around a long time! :cool:

It's been around a long time! :cool:

I figure it's the WIn Key now 'cause it has a Windows logo. So, that's what I'd call it to a regular computer user. If they're a Linux user, I try to remember to call it the Super Key. I do not always remember. I spent a bunch of years with MSFT.

Latest posts