Additional hidden privacy settings Firefox

xlbooyahlx

Reaction score
Credits
This is usually my last step on a fresh install, so I thought I'd share it.
I'm not sure how many take their privacy seriously or not, but I do what I can within reason.
Scroll down until you get to the
Code:
about:config
section on this page, and there are quite a few settings that Mozilla doesn't enable by default.
I would hope that most would already be aware of everything above the about:config section, but you never know.
https://restoreprivacy.com/firefox-privacy/

There is a bit more to the webrtc vulnerability than is stated there:

What is WebRTC?​

Web Real-Time Communications (WebRTC) is an advanced open-source technology that allows desktops and mobile browsers to exchange data in real time by using simple APIs.
WebRTC serves a plethora of purposes including enabling audio, video and network capabilities over mobile or web-based applications. WebRTC has functions similar to Media Capture and Streams API. All three can be combined for amazing multimedia capabilities never seen before on the web.
The key advantage of WebRTC is that it enables real-time peer-to-peer multimedia communications which is indispensable in today’s digital media age.

Key Components​

WebRTC comprises 3 main APIs:
  • PeerConnection: This allows you to send and receive multimedia files
  • GetUserMedia: As the name suggests, it gives access to a user's media (e.g camera and microphone).
  • DataChannels: Enables transfer of non-media directly between browsers.
WebRTC is currently supported on the following browsers: Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Google Chrome.

The Flip Side​

A major downside to WebTRC is that users’ privacy may be vulnerable due to leaking of their IP address by the VPNs they use.
Uncovered in 2015 by Paolo Stagno and tagged the “WebTRC Leak,” several users’ privacy was compromised when some well-known VPN providers started leaking the IP addresses of users to websites without their consent.
What’s worse, a recent survey states that an astonishing 23% of VPN providers are leaking the IP addresses of users as well as retaining personal information like device type, personal details, websites visited, and even payment information.

How do I know if I'm at risk?​

The test result on this page will tell you whether your browser is affected by this vulnerability.

How to Prevent a WebTRC leak?​

Download WebRTC Leak Shield for your browser.
Chrome: WebRTC Leak Shield For Chrome
Firefox: WebRTC Leak Shield For Firefox

There is a bit more to the webrtc vulnerability than is stated there
Yes sir, It doesn't get deep into the why's and such. It does give you the settings to give you more protection, which is why it's my last step of an install before timeshift again ;)
Unfortunately, this capability can also expose your real IP address through browser STUN requests, even if you are using a good VPN service. (This is called a WebRTC leak.)
To disable WebRTC in Firefox simply enter media.peerconnection.enabled into the search bar and then double click the value to change it to false.

Here's a link to a site that will probe you for Web RTC leaks.
Of course I passed lol and I'm not in Canada, so I think I did pretty good ;)
Screenshot from 2023-08-01 21-19-28.png

Last edited:
And another for DNS leaks...

And another for DNS leaks...

That's a good one when you first get a VPN to test it for leaks!!
First thing I did when I got mine. There are more than a few DNS leak testing sites.

Last edited:
Y'all might like this site:

(It took me a few minutes to find it, but I knew it existed as I've shared it before.)

Y'all might like this site:
Saves me about 5 minutes of Firefox setup.
I wish it had all of the about:config settings to change in there, but it still saves me time.
I just made a profile, saved, and backed up for future use! ;)

It says that after you finish there would be a zip file with your profile template, what you do with that file?

You copy the file(s) somewhere - in the right directory, I suppose. I imagine that'd be a .mozilla directory but I'm not a Firefox user. I only know the tool exists. I've never used it.

Saves me about 5 minutes of Firefox setup.

I don't remember how I came across the site. I've bookmarked it now, for future reference. I think I was searching for something, perhaps something to answer a question, and found it in a search result.

I'm not much of a Firefox user these days.

In a way, it reminds me of Windows for a number of years, where the only thing you'd use IE for was to download another browser. I was glad Firefox existed and used it for many years, even donating to the project and getting a fake name listed in their giant two-page NYT newspaper ad.

Alas, I've not appreciated it as much in a number of years.

But, by all means, folks should use what makes them happy and what works best for them. Heck, I used to pay for (not pirate) Opera browser.

I'm not much of a Firefox user these days.
I use it and Ungoogled Chromium. For some reason I just don't feel like I have as much control over Ungoogled Chromium. There's so much that you just can't get to, and you have to just "trust" that's it's taken care of, which Is a tough thing for me to do when it comes to privacy.
I see that quite a few people are using Brave browser these days, and I can't bring myself to doing that.

There's so much that you just can't get to, and you have to just "trust" that's it's taken care of, which Is a tough thing for me to do when it comes to privacy.

I use Chrome/Chromium/Pale Moon more than anything else.

I not only use Chrome, but I also use it while logged in and with personalized search enabled and all that stuff.

I made the decision to do so and I'm happy with that choice. I fully realize that many people make that choice without knowing what it means. I also realize that folks do not make that choice because of things like privacy.

You copy the file(s) somewhere - in the right directory, I suppose. I imagine that'd be a .mozilla directory but I'm not a Firefox user.
click the download zip, save to folder, unzip and load it into "add-ons"

Members online