Solved Acer Inspire One D257 (which flavor?)

Solved issue

rdfrkian

Reaction score
Credits
I've come into possession of an Acer Inspire One D257 "laptop". In quotes, bc it's really, really small.
It has an Intel Atom N570 1.66ghz processor. 16gb memory 1mb L2 cache.
It had Windows 7 "starter" whatever that is. Windows would load to the login screen, but of course I had no login credentials, nor did I really want to boot it.

Anyway, I believe it was manufactured in 2012, can't remember the exact born on date.

What lightweight distro should I use for it? The only thing this little machine will be used for is to run BOINC projects until it dies, but I prefer to have a reasonable GUI to do small tasks on it.
thx
red

This may sound absurd, but I once installed LMDE4 on a 32 bit machine and it ran just fine.

So, there's another option. Of course, you must live within your RAM constraints and have reasonable expectations for performance. Still, it was entirely usable - albeit a couple of versions ago.

I believe it was manufactured in 2012,
Probably made in mid 2011, this CPU only supports a max 2gb of ram, it will run any lightweight distribution and many medium ones [if it has 2gb ram and at least 32gb drive]

Welcome to the forums

I've come into possession of an Acer Inspire One D257 "laptop". In quotes, bc it's really, really small.
It has an Intel Atom N570 1.66ghz processor. 16gb memory 1mb L2 cache.
It had Windows 7 "starter" whatever that is. Windows would load to the login screen, but of course I had no login credentials, nor did I really want to boot it.

Anyway, I believe it was manufactured in 2012, can't remember the exact born on date.

What lightweight distro should I use for it? The only thing this little machine will be used for is to run BOINC projects until it dies, but I prefer to have a reasonable GUI to do small tasks on it.
thx
red
Thanks, y'all. Linux Mint ended up working on both of these. It's a bit slow on the tiny laptop, but it'll do.

Linux Mint ended up working on both of these.
As I expected, but you may find Mint LMDE runs a little faster than Mint Ubuntu 21 [and takes up a little less space]

Last edited:

Staff online