About google's attack on adblockers

I feel left out. I've been watching youtube videos without issue. I use Firefox with Ghostery and not signed in. No problems thus far. Which, I probably just jinxed myself.

@osprey
You convinced me.

if google takes this route I'm sure alternative platforms will flourish! or perhaps ad blocker developers fill find new methods to block these pop ups and delays.

I don't think people will accept to watch ads, I certainly wouldn't.
Odysee and Rumble are a couple of decent options.

@mrcrossroads, I just gave Rumble a tryout.....not bad !!.....not bad at all

It is all about content. I listen to a wide variety of music. everything from Joan Carden to Lady Gaga to Itzhak Perlman

Odysee failed on Lady Gaga and Joan Carden, but nailed a few others.

Rumble nailed Lady Gaga, failed Joan Carden (that one didn't surprise me), but surprisingly nailed Itzhak Perlman, albeit with a different title, it found precisely the same music

I, for one, do hope the alternatives flourish....what is a world without competition ?

Interestingly both sites respond perfctly to using Video Downloader, which is found in the Software Manager of Linux Mint (and I am sure it is found all over the Linux distros)...it is , of course, free, and will download either full video or mp3....whichever you choose....or both.....flawlessly.

I will put a shortcut for Rumble on my desktop.

Thanks, Mrcrossroads.

@mrcrossroads, I just gave Rumble a tryout.....not bad !!.....not bad at all

It is all about content. I listen to a wide variety of music. everything from Joan Carden to Lady Gaga to Itzhak Perlman

Odysee failed on Lady Gaga and Joan Carden, but nailed a few others.

Rumble nailed Lady Gaga, failed Joan Carden (that one didn't surprise me), but surprisingly nailed Itzhak Perlman, albeit with a different title, it found precisely the same music

I, for one, do hope the alternatives flourish....what is a world without competition ?

Interestingly both sites respond perfctly to using Video Downloader, which is found in the Software Manager of Linux Mint (and I am sure it is found all over the Linux distros)...it is , of course, free, and will download either full video or mp3....whichever you choose....or both.....flawlessly.

I will put a shortcut for Rumble on my desktop.

Thanks, Mrcrossroads.
Glad you liked it.
Rumble really grew in popularity during the Trump admin. Won't get into why as I can't without getting into politics.
Off-topic - a Twitter alternative called Parlor sprang up around the same time.

Odysee and Rumble are a couple of decent options.
I was searching "my content" on forums for some time to figure out in which thread somebody recommended some alterntives to you tube, now that I found it I added them to my bookmarks to avoid the mistake again.

Thanks again my friend!

I was searching "my content" on forums for some time to figure out in which thread somebody recommended some alterntives to you tube, now that I found it I added them to my bookmarks to avoid the mistake again.

Thanks again my friend!
It's possible to run youtube videos from the mpv program on one's system which just gets the video. E.g.:
Code:
mpv <url-of-youtube-video>

It's possible to run youtube videos from the mpv program on one's system which just gets the video. E.g.:
Code:
mpv <url-of-youtube-video>
Thanks a lot, I will definitely look into it!

There is also ytdlp which exists in debian's repo and allows you to download videos to computer.
I don't use it but but if google attacks us with ads I'll consider that option!

Thanks a lot, I will definitely look into it!

There is also ytdlp which exists in debian's repo and allows you to download videos to computer.
I don't use it but but if google attacks us with ads I'll consider that option!

As I've brought attention to it before, look into an Invidious instance. That's what's behind Freetube, the handy application that I've previously mentioned - as (I think) have others. It's something you install and sits between you and YouTube.

If you want, you can easily migrate to the application or to an Invidious instance of your choosing. There's a bit of a hassle if you want to import your favorite channels and you have more than 150 of them. If you have more than 150 channels, you have to import them in chunks of 150. It's plain text, so not exactly difficult.

You can export your channels on YouTube by simply exporting your personal data. There are directions all over the place.

Done this way, you can completely eliminate your involvement with YouTube and, not only that, YouTube won't get your data. You are giving that data to a third party, but they're an opensource project and only store what data you tell them to - such as your favorite channels.

You do lose some features. You can't comment on videos directly, for example. I've also found the recommended videos to be lacking any context. The application and the individual Invidia instances tend to favor what's popular overall and don't seem to take any account of your personal preferences.

Of course, if you have hundreds of favorite channels, you'll never be able to keep up with all the content in your feed anyhow. So, you'd have that going for you.

In fact, if I were a privacy-minded person who still wanted to consume YouTube content, this is exactly how I'd do it. I'd avoid giving them data in favor of the other options.

@KGIII
Thank you very much to repeat what you already suggested, I admit I missed it but now after reading your post this sounds very attractive and I'll discover all the options in this thread as soon as I get the will and time to test all solutions.

I just bought a new GPU so I'm currently ALL IN to play with it lol, but I'll get to these awesome YT suggestions for sure later.
Cheers mate!

Thanks again my friend!
No problem. Glad you found them.

All you have to do to survive in our dystopian future is visit your local tech inclined person and hope they help you out to not get screwed over. Maybe that's better than getting screwed over in the first place or not, you decide.

Already do a lot of my video watching on Rumble. Problem with video watching seems mostly that so many of the trendsetters aren't moving, the rest just shrug it off as it doesn't affect them. You can't really compete with a company willing to lose crazy amounts of money, so I can't blame anyone for not going for it either. Weird times.

We need competition in this market though. Sick of this youtube monopoly. Want to see more options.

Staff online