A Question for Other Autistic People

D

Deleted member 111282

The details won't be completely the same as your situation, but I just wanted to get your feedback.

I'm not sure if this caused by me having high-functioning Autism or not, but for many years, I often and inadvertently slur my speech, stumble over my words, or talk too fast when I'm around people. While this doesn't happen every time, it happens enough that I've been repeatedly asked to repeat myself. This is even more frequent when I get into screaming matches with my parents because of them being dysfunctional and not as intelligent as they should be. Another thing is I often know what I want to say, but somehow my brain doesn't properly process it into spoken words, and it sometimes gets frustrating when that happens. I did get speech therapy back in school, and it helped somewhat, especially when the speech pathologist had me reading out loud to help me overcome my speech problems. I should mention that I was never diagnosed with a speech disorder, but maybe I should get that checked out. Also, while I can be a shy and socially awkward at times (causing me to now regret some things I've done in the past), I do like talking to people and I've maintained some good friendships since high school.

Thankfully, every since last summer, I started getting into the habit of talking with a transatlantic accent in hopes of it helping me with this (and if anyone want to know where I'm from, I've lived in the south suburbs of Chicago my entire life). While it has clearly helped, and its easy to learn and pick up, its at times difficult to maintain because I've noticed I have to be calm and collected, and I have think very carefully before I say something, whenever I'm using it. Whenever I get angry, it becomes nonexistent. Be aware that if you have this problem as well, you can try doing that to see if it helps you, but what may work for me may not work for you. If people are taken aback by your voice sounding different, just explain the situation and they should understand (I've never had people criticizing me or giving me dirty looks whenever I use it).

Being that Autistic symptoms are diverse, I'm wondering if other people on the spectrum have this symptom as well

Maybe do some research and see if you find that slurred speech is associated with Autism.

Slurred speech is also associated with a stroke.

I've thankfully never had a stroke, and I don't look forward to having one either. One article I was reading online just now said that some Autistic children in particular may have apraxia (which I've heard of before and might have). Even though a neurologist may not have all of the answers, I'm wondering if I should see one?

I've thankfully never had a stroke, and I don't look forward to having one either. One article I was reading online just now said that some Autistic children in particular may have apraxia (which I've heard of before and might have). Even though a neurologist may not have all of the answers, I'm wondering if I should see one?
Seeing a neurologist could be very costly. However: going to see one could reveal some things that would explain what you may be suspicious of.

Write down your questions for the neurologist's before you go, if you decide to go see one.

Seeing a neurologist could be very costly. However: going to see one could reveal some things that would explain what you may be suspicious of.

Write down your questions for the neurologist's before you go, if you decide to go see one.

I'm currently on Medicaid because I'm unemployed at the moment, so I'll have to see if they cover visits for that.

I'll do that

I often speak too often or say the wrong word, stutter pretty frequently but it has gotten better in due time because I have been socializing more and more over the years

I often speak too often or say the wrong word, stutter pretty frequently but it has gotten better in due time because I have been socializing more and more over the years

That's probably because you've gotten more confident with socializing over the years, and therefore your talking abilities have improved as a result. I'm become that way as well, but I still deal with random bouts of not being able to talk properly. I have noticed that usually when this happens, my spinal joints are stiff, and after I move them to crack them, I can talk properly again. I've been seeing a chiropractor since I was a teenager because I inherited a spinal condition called kyphosis from my mom, and I've learned that when the spine is out of alignment, it can put pressure on certain nerves, so maybe that's what going on.

Slurred speech is also associated with a stroke.

Or seizure ; my wife had a seizure and went into coma for 2 weeks March 2020 and now has slurred speech also balance problems. Luckily memory was not affected nor the main cerebral parts. But speech impediment might have nothing to do that. people that stutter etc while speaking can sing effortlessly .

Last edited:
Or seizure ; my wife had a seizure and went into coma for 2 weeks March 2020 and now has slurred speech also balance problems. Luckily memory was not affected nor the main cerebral parts. But speech impediment might have nothing to do that. people that stutter etc while speaking can sing effortlessly .

I'm sorry to hear about that

I'm sorry to hear about that
I think we are both now pretty philosophical about it ; taking everything into consideration shes very lucky. She can walk , think, talk and have quality of life if we are careful with diet. She still has extreme intolerance to some foods but was able to eat out with no subsequent problems couple of days ago -first time she's eaten out in about 2 years.

I am so glad to hear that, mate.

My wife and I wish you both the best.

@SpongebobFan1994 if at the end of the day you think you said the wrong thing , stutter or recall maybe what you judge was an "embarressing moment " how do you process that? One thing you might try is to go back over events of the day and imagine that events occurred as you would have wanted them to.

@SpongebobFan1994 if at the end of the day you think you said the wrong thing , stutter or recall maybe what you judge was an "embarressing moment " how do you process that? One thing you might try is to go back over events of the day and imagine that events occurred as you would have wanted them to.

I'm very introspective, and many times I do imagine how a situation could've went the way I wanted it to (especially when it went bad), and then make it play out that way when I'm put into that situation again

you an actually make corrections in your imagination at end of day of things that didn't go well. You can also "re-frame" events. Those that you would rather forget ; you can in your imagination take out the colour and shrink in size the image . You might pick up i'm into metaphysics

Members online

Latest posts