a long road behind me, and ahead. but thats ok.

CataclysmicGentleman

Reaction score
Credits
I am not in a mood to tell a long moving story, so heres the facts jack.
Grew up on windows XP, then 7. Never liked 8, or 10. Started looking into linux around 5 years ago. Was concerned about privacy above all.
Eventually tried to install PureOS (it's debian based) onto my laptop, didnt work because its all FOSS based and they dont have drivers yet for AMD (or so i've heard)
Didn't work, so I gave up for a while, yearning for the privacy and freedom that awaited. As time went on I began to make some friends online who were tech savy and really encouraged me to try out fedora, they guided me through the process. Fedora was my first Linux distro i used for about 5 ish months or more (i cant recall).
I really liked Linux but fedora was too hard for a super duper newb like me, nonetheless i loved it. till they updated and the update didnt work, and i realized it was only a matter of time before there would not be any more updates (security and otherwise) for my version of fedora.Switched over to Linux mint, and was VERY very happy with how easy to use and customizable Mint was/is. However I Missed playing games (Like deep rock galatic)

So I install windows 10, but this time i find (from linus tech tips) out about atlas OS.
I use that for a month till it starts to crash, like the file browser and firefox. yaknow, basic stuff.

I miss linux, the freedom, the customizability, the privacy, the security (AtlasOS removes all security from windows :p)

I accept that games are not worth it. (moreso the few lower FPS)

I find that Debian is the best base for a distro, and so after my joyful time with Linux Mint, i find the Debian version and install it on my main desktop.

That was today.

I am happy.

all is well.

glad to be back, missed Linux forums.

This whole journey took about a total of 6-7 years.

G'day

Welcome! ;)

Welcome Back! :)

However I Missed playing games (Like deep rock galatic)
I haven't come across a Steam game that didn't run well for me on Linux. I've played Deep Rock Galactic as well and that ran as smooth as butter but I refunded because I didn't really enjoy it that much by myself.

Welcome [back] to the forums.
I am not a Gamer, but over the last 5 years, things have come a long way with gaming on Linux and, you don't need a special distribution to do it, From what has been said elsewhere, Proton and steam will run on most distributions.. [OK not every game will work but a vast majority do]
You have resumed your Linux journey, so sit back, kick off your shoes, grab a beer, and enjoy the ride.

It took a while before I switched totally to Linux, but I started at the command line, nowadays it's quite easy to get going - welcome. :)

Blizzard's Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 delayed my transition to Linux for a decade. I first learned for Linux in a technicians school that I went in 2009 and I wanted to transition but the temptation was too big, I was addicted to those games. Finally Blizzard were sold to Activision and they ruined Battlenet after that so the games were ruined.

At the beginning of the pandemic I decided that I'm done of playing games so that was the end of Windows for me. Sometimes I watch replays of Warcraft 3 on Youtube and I miss Battlenet, but I know the old Battlenet is down so I move along

...I decided that I'm done of playing games...
I feel that. I am in a pretty epic point in my life. the reality of starting a family with the love of my life really puts video games into perspective, like they still are fun and all, but they dont matter compared to her.

Also thanks everyone for the warm welcome :D

I feel that. I am in a pretty epic point in my life. the reality of starting a family with the love of my life really puts video games into perspective, like they still are fun and all, but they dont matter compared to her.
I'm glad you have that going! Some of us(I'm talking about myself) are unlovable and don't have much else going on so we don't have that going. Good to see you are back on Linux though! :)

Last edited:
I'm glad you have that going! Some of us(I'm talking about myself) are unlovable and don't have much else going on so we don't have that going. Good to see you are back on Linux though! :)
lol, another unlovable here, and on top of that I don't play games

Welcome back aboard the HMAS Linux.

Remember, port is on the left.

Remember, port is on the left.
yes indeed always pass the port to the left [it's bad form to pass it across the table]

yes indeed always pass the port to the left [it's bad form to pass it across the table]

As the resident wino, I do love me some Port. Wine is fine and fortified wine is also a good choice.

Hmm... It's not 17:00 yet (where I live) but I could go for a glass or two. Just a sip, you know...

It's not 17:00 yet (where I live)
You only have to remember the sun is over the yardarm , it's well past Gin o/c here ! ;)

its gonna be ok bud, :) also, happy to be back !

Grew up on windows XP, then 7. Never liked 8, or 10.

Same here...I started looking at Linux when that horrible useless w 8 came out...I've been windowz free now for 8 years and loving every minute.
m1211.gif

Members online