A Long List of Linux Distributions

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
A friend sent me this Wikipedia page of Linux distributions.
It has some distro's listed that I've never heard of but thought it would be helpful to us here at Linux.org.

Enjoy the weekend!
Alex

Here's another good page too--

Feel free to post any links that will lead others to Linux distributions.

Distrowatch is the best I think so far. But don't believe me, check it out for yourself.

Major Distributions​

I have not figured out how to interpret the information at DistroWatch. It is dense with information. Because much is based on web hits, I have not figured out how to gain insights or meaning from the data or sort orders. I suspect that I am not alone.

Nonetheless, DistroWatch has been helpful in a general way as I try a few distros to find a future personal Linux desktop.

I have not figured out how to interpret the information at DistroWatch. It is dense with information. Because much is based on web hits, I have not figured out how to gain insights or meaning from the data or sort orders. I suspect that I am not alone.

Nonetheless, DistroWatch has been helpful in a general way as I try a few distros to find a future personal Linux desktop.
The more web hits a distro has the higher it is rated - the numbers are just for Distrowatch.com and has no bearing with real world usage - so basically take that info with "a grain of salt" as they say - DistroWatch does feature release announcements of new versions of hundreds of Linux and other distributions. It does host reviews of distros, podcasts, and newsletters

The more web hits a distro has the higher it is rated - the numbers are just for Distrowatch.com and has no bearing with real world usage - so basically take that info with "a grain of salt" as they say - DistroWatch does feature release announcements of new versions of hundreds of Linux and other distributions. It does host reviews of distros, podcasts, and newsletters
I get it, but how to elicit value or meaning from that information still eludes me.

I am still looking at different Linux desktops to find one that I like. DistroWatch is a website that helps me understand how different distros are put together and which one could be a better match for me. (I just created another Debian 12 VM with a snapshot for each of the 8 desktop managers offered. A major value that Linux offers is choice. One significant factor that makes Linux challenging for beginners is also choice.

I've gone through and tested hundreds of Linux Distros over the years I don't think I could ever test them all or even know the existence of all of them.

Here is a short list of the Distros I like the most...
Lubuntu
TinyCore
Botacera
DSL
- sadly no longer going.
GOS - no longer going
Peppermint OS
Bodhi
Puppy
- the older version
Kali

ArchBang
looks interesting but I haven't actually tested it out yet. I also like one called Linux Console but the installer is very hard to work out.

Hi,

as already said from other users you can find nearly all distros on distrowatch.com if you are searching a Desktop OS with minimalistic you can use antix

its the small brother of mxlinux i have heared
AntiX is great! It is nearly as responsive as any Puppy, uses very little resources and is stable and solid. I am currently looking into installing it as a fallback bare metal OS to replace Parrot Home (less upkeep).

Nowadays I use Puppy (almost) exclusively but for testing a "traditional" install is necessary to use QEMU as my PC doesn't have a ship load of RAM which Pups use to run.

AntiX is really good.

I get it, but how to elicit value or meaning from that information still eludes me.

I am still looking at different Linux desktops to find one that I like. DistroWatch is a website that helps me understand how different distros are put together and which one could be a better match for me. (I just created another Debian 12 VM with a snapshot for each of the 8 desktop managers offered. A major value that Linux offers is choice. One significant factor that makes Linux challenging for beginners is also choice.
Agreed. For beginners it can be challenging and overwhelming.
Not knowing how much RAM or other pc requirments for each distro is something that n00b's don't know right away and create's a lot of havoc as well. It did for me when I was new to Linux.

@sphen :-

That's why it's described as a "light-hearted, fun look at the world of of Linux distributions". I suspect it was never intended to be taken seriously, yet in the eyes of the wider community it has achieved semi-mythical status.....being taken, almost, as 'gospel'.

Of course, the more people take it as a definitive 'snapshot' of how well - or badly - a specific distro may - or may NOT - be doing, then the higher its "unofficial" status is perceived to be.

Me, I don't even attempt to interpret it. I really can't be bothered with it.

Mike. :rolleyes:

Agreed. For beginners it can be challenging and overwhelming.
Not knowing how much RAM or other pc requirments for each distro is something that n00b's don't know right away and create's a lot of havoc as well. It did for me when I was new to Linux.
Linux Lite came with a user manual which told me what I needed to know in a simple non technical way which is what I needed.
Sometimes experienced Linux users are to technical explaining to n00b's and confuse them it happened to me several times at first.

Linux Lite came with a user manual which told me what I needed to know in a simple non technical way which is what I needed.
Sometimes experienced Linux users are to technical explaining to n00b's and confuse them it happened to me several times at first.
Roger that!

I'm looking for a graphical desktop environment that is 32bit that I can install and uses minimal hard drive space for my ASUS 901. I have TinyCore installed to it and I have Puppy on SD card that stays in the card slot. The Asus 901 has two drives built in, one 4GB and a 8GB MMC drive I want to install something for the other drive. I will give AntiX a shot.

I've gone through and tested hundreds of Linux Distros over the years I don't think I could ever test them all or even know the existence of all of them.

Here is a short list of the Distros I like the most...
Lubuntu
TinyCore
Botacera
DSL
- sadly no longer going.
GOS - no longer going
Peppermint OS
Bodhi
Puppy
- the older version
Kali

ArchBang
looks interesting but I haven't actually tested it out yet. I also like one called Linux Console but the installer is very hard to work out.

I have machines with Mint, MX Linux and Linux Lite on them. It's been a LONG time since I've strayed and tried something different. Mint is my primary distro I run on two machines.

I've been trying out AntiX Linux and I'm very impressed with it. It works very well on the Asus 901.

I have machines with Mint, MX Linux and Linux Lite on them. It's been a LONG time since I've strayed and tried something different. Mint is my primary distro I run on two machines.
I could never get into Mint even though its a popular OS. I think most people probably stick with a small handful of the Linux Destros they find works best for them. I like Linux Lite although it is not as light as it once was.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts